Author Topic: Condemning Celtic statistic  (Read 3114 times)

Re: Condemning Celtic statistic
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 02:22:55 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Crazy stats from Sean Grande that are also [dang]ing

https://twitter.com/SeanGrandePBP/status/1391578106591318017?s=19

That’s amazing, I don’t know how you can rationally understand that either.

It’s especially weird because historically, the third-quarter had seemed to be our Achilles’ heel.
Boston isn't very good and thus falls behind early, while the other team lets off the gas some in the 2nd half.

Does any other team show something similar?  If it were just a factor of Boston not being very good, then you would expect most teams to show a similar distribution.

I have the two Blazers games on DVR. Beautiful basketball by both clubs.

Portland played so well in those games that the C's knew they'd be blown off the court if they didn't respond.

Put the G-league thunder in front of them and they roll over like a dog instead. When I watch the Celtics I never feel like we're getting overwhelmed by talent. There are smart plays to be made at both ends that aren't being made.

See how many times Tatum waits too long to pass when we had an advantage if he would simply move the ball more quickly.

Or the nonsensical automatic double teams that other teams deliberately exploit for easy 3's. So many bad habits because they are just going through the motions. Our team is talented but way out of sync.

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 02:28:54 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
the easiest knee jerk reaction is they've tuned out the coach.

sometimes the simple easy answer is actually the right answer.

maybe we shouldn't overthink this.

but who knows?

but clearly they're talented enough to not be down 20 all the time.

The team was infinitely less talented in Stevens' first couple years but they listened and played hard, and hence didn't get whalloped by bad teams like this club does.

The Warriors plateaud under Mark Jackson and didn't take the next step until he was fired.

We can't properly judge this roster until we see them play under a new voice. Right now there is no baseline because there is no effort.

It's time for Brad Stevens and the Celtics to part ways. I predict it will be a mutually beneficial separation.

Fixed it for you.  We've never had our top 7 players healthy for a single game, and are typically down more than one.  We can't properly judge this roster.  Period.

It's true injuries/covid have hurt a lot.

But there is no excuse for getting blown out at home by the Thunder. They don't listen to Brad at all anymore.

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 02:29:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We've never had our top 7 players healthy for a single game, and are typically down more than one.  We can't properly judge this roster.  Period.

I think you can criticize the team about not coming to play in the first half.   How much does that have to do with health?   Not much and it is a question of effort......

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 02:43:43 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
the easiest knee jerk reaction is they've tuned out the coach.

sometimes the simple easy answer is actually the right answer.

maybe we shouldn't overthink this.

but who knows?

but clearly they're talented enough to not be down 20 all the time.

Considering they are a much, much better second half team... that would suggest he wakes them up at halftime. I know people believe opponents let their foot off the gas, but Celtics could easily roll over if they tuned out Brad. Considering they claw back into their blowouts, I don’t believe coaching is the sole problem.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 02:51:39 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
We've never had our top 7 players healthy for a single game, and are typically down more than one.  We can't properly judge this roster.  Period.

I think you can criticize the team about not coming to play in the first half.   How much does that have to do with health?   Not much and it is a question of effort......

A different starting lineup almost every night would seem to be at least one explanation for slow starts, and certainly one tied to health.

To expand on this, the Celtics have had 34 starting lineups in 68 games.  They haven't had the same lineup in consecutive games since April 13th, when the Walker, Smart, Tatum, Brown, Williams lineup that we think is our playoff starting lineup got together for three games in a row.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:59:02 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 03:53:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A different starting lineup almost every night would seem to be at least one explanation for slow starts, and certainly one tied to health.

To expand on this, the Celtics have had 34 starting lineups in 68 games.  They haven't had the same lineup in consecutive games since April 13th, when the Walker, Smart, Tatum, Brown, Williams lineup that we think is our playoff starting lineup got together for three games in a row.

We call that an "excuse" where I am from. 

These are professionals they are supposed to be ready every night.   So we don't play hard in the first half because we have different guys each night?   Give me a break, the effort is what lacking and a general carelessness with the ball.   Even Stevens has said as much, that we are a short team and have to play scrappy,  we don't.   Yes, it has been a hard year and we've have mished mashed lineups. This may be part of it, the one could also say it affects the whole team because we've have different guys starting and none of them have played.

professional adjective
English Language Learners Definition of professional

(Entry 1 of 2)
: relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill
: done or given by a person who works in a particular profession
: paid to participate in a sport or activity

professional noun

English Language Learners Definition of professional (Entry 2 of 2)
: someone who does a job that requires special training, education, or skill : someone who is a member of a profession
: someone who is paid to participate in a sport or activity
: someone who has a lot of experience or skill in a particular job or activity

Quite simply, it is their job to be ready to play.  If they are not we need to get some guys who are.

I hope we don't run it back with this team because that would be a big mistake.   There are fundamental flaws with the roster and our team.

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 04:10:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope we don't run it back with this team because that would be a big mistake.   There are fundamental flaws with the roster and our team.

I really don’t think we are that far off. I’d love to at least resign all of our pieces, and then look into packaging some of them.  It’s better than letting guys walk for nothing.

I have a hard time pointing to any individual player or a group of players and saying that they are the problem on this team. Yes, ideally we would have more veterans. I expect that we will see some of the deadweight go this summer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 04:27:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I really don’t think we are that far off. I’d love to at least resign all of our pieces, and then look into packaging some of them.  It’s better than letting guys walk for nothing.

I have a hard time pointing to any individual player or a group of players and saying that they are the problem on this team. Yes, ideally we would have more veterans. I expect that we will see some of the deadweight go this summer.
I think they run most everyone back.

As you said, there is no one player or group of players that you can say caused this season. I also don't think it's all on the coach, though it hasn't been his best season. And Ainge has some fault here as well. And the owners dictating to not be in the luxury tax certainly held this team construction back. So there is plenty of blame to go around.

I think they resign Fournier and maybe make some minor trades to not have as much youth on the bench. I think Ainge and Stevens will chalk this up to an injury plagued season that had no real training camp, Summer League, preseason or practices to speak of and try to see how the team responds to a normal season. If they start next season like this one, then it is most likely Stevens could be replaced and/or major changes will occur at the trade deadline.

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 04:28:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah the biggest drop off statistically for the team is that the three point defense is in the toilet.  They've always given up a lot of three pointers, seemingly by design, but in the past they've defended the perimeter well but this year not so much.  Keith Smith covered that well on the front page of CB today.

It's hard to point to a specific player or set of players responsible for that drop off in defense.

We have seen that the bench is a huge issue in general.  I think you could point to the back up forward / swing spot as a major weak point.  The team really could use production at that spot and instead they're playing guys like Semi, Grant, and Jabari Parker. 

Nesmith has come on recently and sort of plays in that spot, but I think finding an experienced, productive player who can defend bigger wings / perimeter bigs, hit outside shots reliably, and punish mismatches inside would go a long way.

Then of course there's the fact that they have their starting point guard available only about 50-60% of the time.

I also think that it's a big problem that the best big man still on the team now is only available sporadically, and can only play limited minutes when he is available.  As exciting as Rob is, I think having a more consistent and reliable center rotation would go a long way.  TT has been really up and down and probably needs to go just because he makes too much money for what he offers, and the Celts are really up against the luxury tax.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain