Author Topic: The last five games....  (Read 1865 times)

The last five games....
« on: May 08, 2021, 01:04:45 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
So right now the standings are

4) NYL 37-30 (@LAC, @LAL,vsSAS,vsCHA, vsBOS)
5) ATL 37-31 (vsWAS, vsWAS, vsORL, vsHOU)
6) MIA 36-31 (@BOS, @BOS, vsPHI, @MIL, @DET)
7) BOS 35-32 (vsMIA, vsMIA, @CLE, @MIN, @NYK).

So what needs to happen?

BOS plays NYK the last game of the year, if they win that they also get the tie breaker. So they can still pass NYK if they win one more game than them in the next 4 games AND beat them the last game of the season. NYK has some pretty tough games left against both the LA teams and CHA/SAS who are both in the playoff hunt.

To pass ATL, BOS needs to lose 2 fewer games than ATL the rest of the year because ATL already has the tie breaker. This is a tough one because ATL only has four games left. Two of those are against WAS who is playing VERY well and still chasing positioning in the play in round.

BOS plays its next two against MIA. If BOS sweeps they will move one game up on MIA WITH the tie breaker with only three to play which would nearly lock in a better finish than MIA. If BOS splits the next two with MIA then BOS get's the tie breaker, but BOS would need to lose one fewer game over each teams last three to pull even and pass MIA with that tie breaker. Not impossible given MIA plays both PHI who may still be trying to lock up the 1 seed, and MIL who will be trying to lock up the 2 seed, in their final three games.

TLDR: So basically its gonna be hard to pass ATL unless they WIN out. They can lose MAYBE one more game (say a split against MIA) and still stand a chance of passing either/or NYK or MIA as long as they win all their other remaining games (including the last game against NYK) in part because NYK and MIA have some tough games left and BOS would own the tiebreakers.

BOS still kind of controls its own destiny here at least in terms of getting to the fifth seed (need one more NYK loss).

Re: The last five games....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 01:34:58 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
If they can't beat the Bulls or Thunder I don't expect them to sweep Miami, beat Cleveland or Minnesota and that the last 3 are away games.

Book it in boys, this team will be fighting for their playoff lives.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 02:18:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They're gonna be in the play-in.

Honestly I've got no interest in seeing this team in a playoff series in Round 1 against the Sixers or Nets. I'd rather they lose the play-in than see them get shellacked by a team I detest.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 02:41:43 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The Knicks and Heat have the toughest schedule in the last 5.

I think 4–1 or better gets us to the 4th or 5th seed, 3-2 gets us the 6th seed, and sub .500 keeps us at the 7th. Despite the underperforming season, this team is too experienced and skilled to be an easy out in the playoffs for any team. If they avoid Brooklyn in the 1st round, there’s upset potential in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 04:08:05 AM »

Offline DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
They just can’t seem to stay healthy and the focus and energy fluctuates game to game. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they don’t survive the play-in.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 06:26:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1380
If they can't beat the Bulls or Thunder I don't expect them to sweep Miami, beat Cleveland or Minnesota and that the last 3 are away games.

I expect them to play well against Miami but lose to Cleveland and Minnesota. This team has a problem with facing inferior opposition. They take nights off when they feel the team isn't as good.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 07:58:59 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Regardless of the opponents, I expect them to go 2-3 or 3-2. They’re a coin toss pretty much every night.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 08:21:04 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

I expect them to play well against Miami but lose to Cleveland and Minnesota. This team has a problem with facing inferior opposition. They take nights off when they feel the team isn't as good.

One problem is the first Miami game is an early afternoon game and they haven't done well in those.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 10:15:29 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
ATL 37-31 (vsWAS, vsWAS, vsORL, vsHOU) 3-1 (40-32)

NYK 37-30 (@LAC, @LAL,vsSAS,vsCHA, vsBOS) 2-3  (39-33)

MIA 36-31 (@BOS, @BOS, vsPHI, @MIL, @DET) 3-2 (39-33)

BOS 35-32 (vsMIA, vsMIA, @CLE, @MIN, @NYK) 3-2 (38-34)

The issue with this week in the ECF?

The Knicks are playing very well, Thibs has them going and they believe.

The Hawks are playing very well, I think the best of the bunch.

The Heat are ok, but not very dangerous.

The Celtics aren't playing well. They haven't been good since they beat the Raptors last September. The three players who've been playing like it matters are Robert - Pritchard - Nesmith - Thompson...they want to win and the other guys are undecided.

In The Raptors series last year the Celtics fought to the death. There ain't none of that going on this year.

Standings? You will get teams that rest stars as the standings set up. This might only include the final game of the season, but that could be the decider...right?

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

John Karalis @RedsArmy_John
about 3 hours ago

Robert Williams listed as probable for tomorrow with turf toe. That's a bit of surprise. Jaylen Brown is questionable with the right ankle sprain. Danny Ainge had said he thought Brown would be back for tomorrow afternoon's game