Author Topic: Will Rob Williams Ever Stay Healthy?  (Read 3742 times)

Re: Will Rob Williams Ever Stay Healthy?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 12:38:22 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
No, he is not
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 01:41:09 AM »

Kiorrik

I'd rather put money on Doge Coin than on him playing 70+ games in any of the following 3 seasons.

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 08:31:50 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Probably not. Should trade him for Myles Turner. Oh wait, we should already have myles.

I’ll take a gimpy Robert than a healthy Myles Turner.
KG is right.  We could have had both right now.  I guess we wouldn't have Kemba in that case, but I would have been fine with Smart as the starting PG.

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 08:52:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is why I think we should've just kept Theis.
I don't claim to understand the cap implications that probably necessitated it, but that has been one of my least favorite Danny trades ever from a basketball point of view. Whenever Rob is out, our center rotation either treads water or just kills us.

I'm still not sure there were cap implications that necessitated it. People will tell you there were, but there is only about a $500K difference between Theis' salary ($5M) and the salary combination of Wagner/Kornet ($4.5M).

I'll be interested to see what the final salary cap figures are at the end of the season. Jaylen has already reached the level he needed for his incentives and Fournier will not reach his (only $150K anyway).

And if salary was an issue, seems like there were other options to ship out other than Theis. It's not like we got any picks or good players. We paid CHI to take Javonte; we probably could have done the same thing with Ojeleye (since he is expiring). The minute we traded Theis, we have seemingly been down one of TT/TL for most games. And Brad hasn't even deemed Kornet playable in a number of those games. It was a disaster of a trade for sure, as Theis can eat up unlimited minutes in a quality way.

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 08:56:07 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Probably not. Should trade him for Myles Turner. Oh wait, we should already have myles.

I’ll take a gimpy Robert than a healthy Myles Turner.
KG is right.  We could have had both right now.  I guess we wouldn't have Kemba in that case, but I would have been fine with Smart as the starting PG.

We’d still have Kemba, but we’d be without Fournier (no trade exception), Thompson (couldn’t have afforded MLE), and probably ultimately would likely have traded Theis still.  And Turner has a stress-related foot injury right now, so we wouldn’t have him or Time Lord.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 09:02:19 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2021, 09:49:29 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Will he ever stay healthy?  No.  He's injury prone.  I can see him hurting himself while brushing his teeth. 

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2021, 10:25:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Good news:

Rob is listed as probable for Heat game tomorrow!!

Bad news: Jaylen still questionable. 

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 08:30:53 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
The reason he dropped in the draft was because of his health. Hopefully our medical staff will help. How the hell does one get turf toe playing basketball?
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 10:08:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
“Turf toe” is the common term used to describe a sprain of the ligaments around the big toe joint. Although it’s commonly associated with football players who play on artificial turf, it affects athletes in other sports including soccer, basketball, wrestling, gymnastics, and dance. It’s a condition that’s caused by jamming the big toe or repeatedly pushing off the big toe forcefully as in running and jumping.

Turf toe is a sprain to the ligaments around the big toe joint, which works primarily as a hinge to permit up and down motion. Just behind the big toe joint in the ball of your foot are two pea-shaped bones embedded in the tendon that moves your big toe called sesamoids. These bones work like a pulley for the tendon and provide leverage when you walk or run. They also absorb the weight that presses on the ball of the foot.

When you are walking or running, you start each subsequent step by raising your heel and letting your body weight come forward onto the ball of your foot. At a certain point you propel yourself forward by "pushing off" of your big toe and allowing your weight to shift to the other foot. If the toe for some reason stays flat on the ground and doesn't lift to push off, you run the risk of suddenly injuring the area around the joint. Or if you are tackled or fall forward and the toe stays flat, the effect is the same as if you were sitting and bending your big toe back by hand beyond its normal limit, causing hyperextension of the toe. That hyperextension, repeated over time or with enough sudden force, can -- cause a sprain in the ligaments that surround the joint.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/turf-toe-symptoms-causes-and-treatments#1

It's just a fancy name for a toe sprain folks.

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 10:35:49 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
The reason he dropped in the draft was because of his health. Hopefully our medical staff will help. How the hell does one get turf toe playing basketball?

It's uncommon but it happens.  Myles Turner has a more severe version of it right now.  Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler, and Blake Griffin have all had it at various times in the past.  Might be telling that all of those guys except maybe Butler were reliant on explosive vertical ability at the time of the injury.