Author Topic: What's wrong with Grant Williams?  (Read 7038 times)

Re: What's wrong with Grant Williams?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Grant is listed as 6'-6".  In general, that is too small to play PF in the NBA and way too small to play C.  Some players through strength, length of arms, or general athleticism can overcome that and be successful as a PF or C at that height.  Grant only to a point.

Grant is a decent second tier off the bench player.  He has some position versatility, can hit a 3 from time to time, and generally plays to not hurt the team.  That is not bad for a 22 pick, probably average or a little below average for the draft position.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Grant Williams.  This is just what he is.  If there is anything "wrong" it's that the weaknesses in our roster force us to use him in roles he is not suited for, such as starting or being the first big off the bench.

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 08:54:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Grant is listed as 6'-6".  In general, that is too small to play PF in the NBA and way too small to play C.  Some players through strength, length of arms, or general athleticism can overcome that and be successful as a PF or C at that height.  Grant only to a point.

Grant is a decent second tier off the bench player.  He has some position versatility, can hit a 3 from time to time, and generally plays to not hurt the team.  That is not bad for a 22 pick, probably average or a little below average for the draft position.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Grant Williams.  This is just what he is.  If there is anything "wrong" it's that the weaknesses in our roster force us to use him in roles he is not suited for, such as starting or being the first big off the bench.
this would be a fair description of the play he provided last year.  sometimes exceeding that level.

This year, he's been pretty much a hot mess with only occasional good games.  I'm not expecting anything productive from him in the playoffs if he gets minutes but he really needs to turn it around going into next season or he needs to be moved.  he's almost unplayable at this point - barely better than Carsen Edwards and that's saying a lot.

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

this would be a fair description of the play he provided last year.  sometimes exceeding that level.

This year, he's been pretty much a hot mess with only occasional good games.  I'm not expecting anything productive from him in the playoffs if he gets minutes but he really needs to turn it around going into next season or he needs to be moved.  he's almost unplayable at this point - barely better than Carsen Edwards and that's saying a lot.

Last season, he averaged 3.4 pts, 2.6 rebs, 24% 3p% in 15 min/gm.

This season he has averaged 4.3 pts, 2.8 rebs, 37% 3p% in 18 min/gm.

The only real decline is in FT%.  I acknowledge that stats are not the whole story but I am seeing pretty much the same player this season as last.  He did play well in a couple of play off games last season but he has had good games along the way this season also.  But overall, in aggregate, I see pretty much the same guy, a decent bench player.

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 10:39:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The only real decline is in FT%.  I acknowledge that stats are not the whole story but I am seeing pretty much the same player this season as last.  He did play well in a couple of play off games last season but he has had good games along the way this season also.  But overall, in aggregate, I see pretty much the same guy, a decent bench player.
if you look beyond the stats, and don't forget he started last season with miserable shooting and finished as a functional offensive player, his passing is off this year, he's fumbling passes to him, his defense isn't as good either as an individual or in the team defensive scheme.  he's just really off this season regardless of the statistics. 

last season when he was on the court, he was making a positive impact regardless of his scoring.  This year, he's having a negative impact in most games.   

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2021, 12:13:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

if you look beyond the stats, and don't forget he started last season with miserable shooting and finished as a functional offensive player, his passing is off this year, he's fumbling passes to him, his defense isn't as good either as an individual or in the team defensive scheme.  he's just really off this season regardless of the statistics. 

last season when he was on the court, he was making a positive impact regardless of his scoring.  This year, he's having a negative impact in most games.

You go Slam ! Tell n it   straight up !

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2021, 12:35:23 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

You go Slam ! Tell n it   straight up !

Grant Williams RPM
Last year: -2.83
This year:-2.97

per the stats he's basically the same player.

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2021, 12:42:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think we can all agree we need more coming from a player getting 18 minutes a game.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2021, 01:31:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nothing is wrong, he just isn't very good.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2021, 04:03:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I thought he played well in the bubble and thought he would be at least that good this year. He's had a couple of decent games this year but generally looks discombobulated!

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2021, 04:18:15 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

I thought he played well in the bubble and thought he would be at least that good this year. He's had a couple of decent games this year but generally looks discombobulated!

I've heard either Scal or Mike say on a number of occasions that Grant is good at posting up smaller players.  Great, except Brad plays him as an undersized PF and C and he doesn't end up playing against small guards often.  Maybe I didn't notice all his poor passes and sloppy play last year but this year his turnovers dominate his play.  Bottom line for me, he is not good enough to play if the game is still in doubt.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2021, 04:51:20 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Based on some comments here, you would think that this must be the first case of a player ever struggling in their second season.

Is it really so unthinkable that someone would have a sophomore slump, especially in a year where we had a very limited off-season and training camp? If he continues playing poorly next year, sure, look for a replacement. But he's still young, has shown that he can fill a role in this league, and is a hard worker. It's not worth getting rid of him just to save $2.5 million
I'm bitter.

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 06:56:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Based on some comments here, you would think that this must be the first case of a player ever struggling in their second season.

Is it really so unthinkable that someone would have a sophomore slump, especially in a year where we had a very limited off-season and training camp? If he continues playing poorly next year, sure, look for a replacement. But he's still young, has shown that he can fill a role in this league, and is a hard worker. It's not worth getting rid of him just to save $2.5 million

I doubt they get rid of him unless some other team's looking to add him, but I don't see what role he plays except as a tweener not suited for either PF or C.

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 07:06:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Now , now Jim .....don’t be bitter... :)

He isn’t worth 2.5 million ,  we should do better with another scrub .

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2021, 07:43:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think we can all agree we need more coming from a player getting 18 minutes a game.
This captures everything about the issue. Grant is good on the end of a bench, he shouldn’t be relied upon however
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2021, 03:33:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
But he's still young, has shown that he can fill a role in this league, and is a hard worker

What role is that?