Author Topic: Alternative idea to Play-In Tournament  (Read 2808 times)

Re: Alternative idea to Play-In Tournament
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like the current play-in tournament its not perfect but it is a device that counters two of the leagues issues (tanking and players sitting out games). When the NBA returns to a non covid condensed season the return to 82 games and the greater rest and lack of back to backs in a normal season will help counter some of the players/teams complaints. The hope that the play in gives to teams sitting just out of the playoffs is great for the game. Under the old rules would the Wizards be playing this hard (8-2 in their last 10 games) or would they have shut down Beal and Westbrook and push to tank into the lower half of the lottery?

Rather then changing the play in format the league needs to next look to modify the current buy out system. Allowing bad teams to simply buy out players and set them free as late season FA pick ups for contenders makes little sense for the league. I do not have a good way to correct this but the league should address it.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 02:03:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like the current play-in tournament its not perfect but it is a device that counters two of the leagues issues (tanking and players sitting out games). When the NBA returns to a non covid condensed season the return to 82 games and the greater rest and lack of back to backs in a normal season will help counter some of the players/teams complaints. The hope that the play in gives to teams sitting just out of the playoffs is great for the game. Under the old rules would the Wizards be playing this hard (8-2 in their last 10 games) or would they have shut down Beal and Westbrook and push to tank into the lower half of the lottery?

Rather then changing the play in format the league needs to next look to modify the current buy out system. Allowing bad teams to simply buy out players and set them free as late season FA pick ups for contenders makes little sense for the league. I do not have a good way to correct this but the league should address it.
Easy way is a two tier waiver. First waiver tier is when a guy is cut if anyone picks up his remaining salary they get him (the team that cut him saves on paying the player and player still counts agains cap). A second waiver process kicks in when a cut/buyout player agrees to a new contract amount to play the rest of the season, he goes on waivers again but for that amount of salary.

If players have a problem with it than they shouldn't agree to a buyout or the new contract amount unless they accept this process.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I liked the old traditional way, this new thing was not needed but it did seem to make less teams tank which was good.