Author Topic: Five “most important” Lakers historically  (Read 7747 times)

Re: Five “most important” Lakers historically
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 04:15:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Celtics
1. Auerbach
2. Russell
3. Pierce
4. Bird
5. Hondo

Lakers
1. George Mikan brought what 5  titles?
2. Kobe is next
3. Magic
4. Kareem
5.  West because he was a great player and GM for them

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 04:27:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regarding the Celtics, if it's the most "important" Celtics and not just best Celtic players, how can people not have Tommy Heinsohn on that list? 8 time champion in 9 years as a player. 2 time champion in 9 years as a coach. A 30 year career as a color commentator for the team. He will end up being a Hall of Famer 3 different times when he gets in as a television/media person.

1. Red
2. Russell
3. Bird
4. Cousy
5. Heinsohn

i think most people are judging this just based on their playing resume, at least i was.  If we're including coaching and front office accomplishments then yes that changes things.  I know Jerry West would move up on my lakers list.

As far as Tommy goes, I have a hard time regarding him as a most important player, yes, he was an 8 time champion, but how many of those go away if Russell isnt on the team?  If we swapped Tommy for another all star player, same position, do we still win 8 titles in 9 years.  If we lost Bill Russell but replaced him with another all star center are the celtics as successful?  I guarantee you we wouldnt be, not even close, not unless his name is Wilt.   I know this isnt a Russell/Heinsohn comparison but Im just trying to illustrate importance.  I love Tommy, but he was probably a replaceable componet on those teams

I think thats why no one mentioned James Worthy on their Lakers list, hes a great player, but I think if you swap him with another all star player, the Lakers dont lose too much.  But swap Magic Johnson with another all star and I dont think you can say the same thing
I think you're missing the point.

No, Heinsohn wasn't the most important player for the team's success during that run, but he was important. But then you couple that with him being the 2nd best coach in franchise history and 30 years in television broadcasting for the Celtics, being one of the 2 voices of the Celtics in the television era, and I think he hits top 5 most important. Regarding that last part, think about how important Johnny Most was to this franchise being the voice of the Celtics during the radio era. That's what Tommy is to recent generations of Celtics fans.

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 05:25:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, I almost put Tommy in my top five and truly he was the soul of the franchise for many years.   You convinced me of my error, I drop Hondo for Tommy.

I do think Hondo is the sixth guy though because he bridged the champs of the 60s to the 70s but so did Tommy.

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 05:26:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Regarding the Celtics, if it's the most "important" Celtics and not just best Celtic players, how can people not have Tommy Heinsohn on that list? 8 time champion in 9 years as a player. 2 time champion in 9 years as a coach. A 30 year career as a color commentator for the team. He will end up being a Hall of Famer 3 different times when he gets in as a television/media person.

1. Red
2. Russell
3. Bird
4. Cousy
5. Heinsohn

i think most people are judging this just based on their playing resume, at least i was.  If we're including coaching and front office accomplishments then yes that changes things.  I know Jerry West would move up on my lakers list.

As far as Tommy goes, I have a hard time regarding him as a most important player, yes, he was an 8 time champion, but how many of those go away if Russell isnt on the team?  If we swapped Tommy for another all star player, same position, do we still win 8 titles in 9 years.  If we lost Bill Russell but replaced him with another all star center are the celtics as successful?  I guarantee you we wouldnt be, not even close, not unless his name is Wilt.   I know this isnt a Russell/Heinsohn comparison but Im just trying to illustrate importance.  I love Tommy, but he was probably a replaceable componet on those teams

I think thats why no one mentioned James Worthy on their Lakers list, hes a great player, but I think if you swap him with another all star player, the Lakers dont lose too much.  But swap Magic Johnson with another all star and I dont think you can say the same thing

No, Heinsohn wasn't the most important player for the team's success during that run, but he was important. But then you couple that with him being the 2nd best coach in franchise history and 30 years in television broadcasting for the Celtics, being one of the 2 voices of the Celtics in the television era, and I think he hits top 5 most important. Regarding that last part, think about how important Johnny Most was to this franchise being the voice of the Celtics during the radio era. That's what Tommy is to recent generations of Celtics fans.

Johnny Most taught us all how to hate the Pistons, Sixers, Lakers etc..... ;D

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

1. Red
2. Russell
3. Bird
4. Cousy
5. Heinsohn

That's a good point about Tommy. His off-court contribution to the Celtics are insane. Been the voice of them for decades, alongside two handfuls of championship rings as a player and coach. What a man
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2021, 06:54:06 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

1. Red
2. Russell
3. Bird
4. Cousy
5. Heinsohn

Not missing the point, Like I said in my post, I was judging this based on playing resume and I think a lot of others were as well. If we’re including coaching, front office and color commentary, I think that would change a lot of peoples top 5, the point you brought up about tommy definitely applies, and red would undoubtedly be #1.   You would then have to argue that KC Jones would have to make the list because of the titles he won as a player and as a coach spanning multiple eras.    That’s why I think all these other variables should be separated because when it’s all said and done there might not even be room for Larry Bird on the list bc he didn’t coach here.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:10:20 PM by greg683x »
Greg

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 11:12:52 PM »

Offline Lakers are the Best

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
My list:
Mikan
West
Kareem
Magic
Kobe

Honorable mentions:
Shaq
LeBron

A few more:
Baylor
Wilt
Worthy
Gasol
AD

Coaching:
Riley
Phil

Commentating:
Hearn
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:22:41 PM by Lakers are the Best »

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 11:45:26 PM »

Offline Lakers are the Best

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Celtics
1. Auerbach
2. Russell
3. Pierce
4. Bird
5. Hondo

Lakers
2. Kobe is next
3. Magic
4. Kareem

I like the way you think. Our top 5 are identical.
Yes, Mikan brought 5, plus one additional uncounted NBL title in 1948, before the NBA was founded.

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Celtics
1. Auerbach
2. Russell
3. Pierce
4. Bird
5. Hondo

Lakers
2. Kobe is next
3. Magic
4. Kareem

Yes, Mikan brought 5, plus one additional uncounted NBL title in 1948, before the NBA was founded.

I don’t see how Kobe rates above Magic.  The kid road Shaw’s coattails to three titles and then contributed to breaking up a dynasty,  whereas Magic was the man for all five championships that he won.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2021, 09:40:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jerry West is salty about the list:

“I saw the other day Jeanie Buss made a statement, the five most important Lakers, one of the most offensive things I’ve ever heard in my life. I was there a lot of times, had a lot of success,” West told Vescey. “Be curious to know if they would have had that success if I hadn’t been there.”

“And I don’t ever take credit for stuff, I don’t. When I was around, maybe I was just a good luck charm,” West went on. “But I do know, that when this thing fell apart, there was a lot of years where they weren’t very good.”

My guess is that there is some long-standing personal beef there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2021, 09:52:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jerry West is salty about the list:

“I saw the other day Jeanie Buss made a statement, the five most important Lakers, one of the most offensive things I’ve ever heard in my life. I was there a lot of times, had a lot of success,” West told Vescey. “Be curious to know if they would have had that success if I hadn’t been there.”

“And I don’t ever take credit for stuff, I don’t. When I was around, maybe I was just a good luck charm,” West went on. “But I do know, that when this thing fell apart, there was a lot of years where they weren’t very good.”

My guess is that there is some long-standing personal beef there.

There has to be. I just don't see how Jerry West doesn't make the top 5 list in any manner.  Obviously, as a player, he is one of the most significant figures in their history.  Then you add his achievements as a team executive?  No brainer to me.   He's had his hands involved, one way or another, in almost all the team's titles.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2021, 10:04:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Celtics
1. Auerbach
2. Russell
3. Pierce
4. Bird
5. Hondo

Lakers
2. Kobe is next
3. Magic
4. Kareem

I don’t see how Kobe rates above Magic.  The kid road Shaw’s coattails to three titles and then contributed to breaking up a dynasty,  whereas Magic was the man for all five championships that he won.
that and Bird is #3 for the C's behind only Red and Russell.  3 titles, 2 other finals appearances.  Rescued this franchise from the lows of the Wicks/Lowe period.  I'd also argue Hondo at 4 and Heinsohn at 5 for his titles as a player and coach (not to mention decades as a broadcaster).

for the Lakers, I'd drop Kobe completely, shift everyone in that order up one spot and add Shaq as 5.  Shaq was the reason for the first 3 titles Kobe won and Pau was the reason for the last 2.

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2021, 10:17:29 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Celtics
1. Auerbach
2. Russell
3. Pierce
4. Bird
5. Hondo

Lakers
2. Kobe is next
3. Magic
4. Kareem

Have to agree with this (presuming you mean Shaq and not the spellbinding Brian Shaw).

However, I don't agree with Mikan's placement on the quoted list but that's mostly because on-the-court accomplishments aren't what I would qualify as "most important". I can see why some would.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Celtics
1. Auerbach
2. Russell
3. Pierce
4. Bird
5. Hondo

Lakers
2. Kobe is next
3. Magic
4. Kareem

The simple truth is Kobe was there for ever.  He is 3rd in rebounds, 2nd in assists, and 5th in blocks, but basically is the franchise leader in every other category, and by a pretty wide margin in most of them.  He won 5 titles with 2 other Finals appearances and won 2 Finals MVP's.

And I certainly disagree that Magic was better than Kareem early on.  I mean Kareem was the League MVP in 1980.  He missed the last game in the Finals, which is why Magic won the Finals MVP, but the first 5 games, Kareem dominated Magic statistically and in the crucial game 5, Kareem went for 40 and 15 with 4 blocks.  In 82, they were of a pretty similar value.  And Kareem actually won the 85 Finals MVP, though Magic was the better player that year. 

I don't think there is a right answer when comparing the value of Magic, Kareem, and Kobe to the Lakers.  Without any of those guys, they probably don't have 10 of their titles as Magic did not win without Kareem
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2021, 11:50:49 AM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Here's my top five of Lakers/Celtics:

Celtics:
1) Russell
2) Bird
3) Cousy
4) McHale- he has to make this list. we're talking about one of the most dominant low post players of ALL-TIME.
5) Pierce (someone put Pierce above Bird, my God???- Pierce wins zero titles without KG, actually maybe KG should be here)

Honorable mention- Cowens, KG, Chief!

Lakers:

1) Jabbar- greatest center of ALL TIME
2) Magic- he's either 1 or 2 so I put him at 2
3) Kobe
4) Shaq
5) West

Honorable mention- Worthy!, Wilt (didn't play long enough), Lebron (with more titles he's in the discussion)

Absolutely does not count- Mikan!! He played for the Minneapolis Lakers. That does not count.