Poll

MVP race:  Who do you think is the early favorite (poll)

Steph Curry
5 (12.8%)
Joel Embiid
2 (5.1%)
Nikola Jokić
30 (76.9%)
Luka Dončić
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: MVP race: Who do you think is the early favorite? (poll)  (Read 6458 times)

Re: MVP race: Who do you think is the early favorite? (poll)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 11:53:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It will be curious how the voters go this year. Do they rely on statistics, team success, or a balance of the two. Jokic and Embiid scratch off both categories, but Embiid has missed nearly a third of the teams games. However, I’m not sure any player has had as much of an impact on his team’s success than Chris Paul this season. The Suns had the second worst record in the league two years ago. Last season, they finished 5 games under .500. This season, they add Paul, and have the second best record in the league, and only 1.5 games back from first. The jump the team made this season is too significant to ignore.

BTW, when it comes to the 76ers, Doc may be their MVP.
Don't get me wrong, I know Chris Paul has had a lot to do with their success, but they were also 8-0 in the bubble last year and they were also 20-18 with Ayton.  Ayton is still just a 22 year old, 3rd year big man.  As we know big men often take the longest to develop, but also often have the most impact on the scoreboard. Booker is still just 24, Bridges and Johnson are also 24.  They have been incredibly healthy at the top and they also added Jae Crowder.  Paul's influence has certainly helped them, but putting it all (or even the vast majority) on him doesn't seem to really fit.  The Suns knew the young guys were ready to make a leap, which is why they brought in Paul and Crowder to begin with.  Of the starters, Booker has the best on/off differential on the team.  He is their leading scorer and their focal point.  Paul is probably more valuable, but Booker is their best player, and that hurts Paul's chances a lot (I currently have him 4th on my board behing Jokic, Giannis, and Lillard). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 01:01:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Jokic will win it, but I'd vote for Embiid, despite the number of games he missed.  He is most dominant two way player, and his team is in first.

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 06:45:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jokic will win it, but I'd vote for Embiid, despite the number of games he missed.  He is most dominant two way player, and his team is in first.
Embiid's defence has actually barely been better than Jokic's this year. They're both able to get exposed in space, but Jokic has improved his defensive positioning and conditioning a lot.

Also the 76ers are 1 game better than the Nuggets. The Nugs are just in the West
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 09:32:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Embiid's defence has actually barely been better than Jokic's this year. They're both able to get exposed in space, but Jokic has improved his defensive positioning and conditioning a lot.

Also the 76ers are 1 game better than the Nuggets. The Nugs are just in the West
and they are just 0.5 games ahead of the Nets

And I still think Giannis is the most dominant 2-way player.  He is after all the reigning DPOY and MVP.  And is still putting up incredible numbers at 28.5/11.2/6.0 with a 62.9 TS%.  Pretty darn similar numbers to Embiid actually, though Giannis has played in more games and actually still tried every night defensively. 

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 11:26:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

and they are just 0.5 games ahead of the Nets

And I still think Giannis is the most dominant 2-way player.  He is after all the reigning DPOY and MVP.  And is still putting up incredible numbers at 28.5/11.2/6.0 with a 62.9 TS%.  Pretty darn similar numbers to Embiid actually, though Giannis has played in more games and actually still tried every night defensively.
Yeah, it's just the MVP fatigue with Giannis now. Happened to LeBron for years
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2021, 03:54:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Got to give it to Big Chungus :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2021, 06:13:57 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think it's going to be Jokic. I think Curry would have had a shot if the Dubs were higher up on the ladder.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 06:22:32 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Media darlings Lebron or Kyrie

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2021, 11:34:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So Lebron is back.  He missed 21 games.  Embiid has currently missed 19 games.  So if you have Embiid in contention, you pretty much have to have Lebron in contention.  Jokic should win it, but Lebron coming back a bit earlier than expected has at least made it more interesting.  Of course the Lakers did lose to the Kings yesterday (though they were +5 in Lebron's 32 minutes and -9 in the 16 minutes he was on the bench).