Author Topic: Aldridge Retires  (Read 3856 times)

Re: Aldridge Retires
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sad news but at least not tragic. Best to walk away with your health and millions. Aldridge had a great career.

Regarding the HOF, there aren't many, if any, 7 time All-Stars not in the Hall. So though he may not be a first ballot guy, maybe 15 years from now he gets in.

How can you forget Larry Foust, Nick?
Lol. Roy, I'm old, just not that old.🤣

Yeah, I had to look it up.  Whose Cheerios did he pee in not to make the HOF?  8-time All-Star in the pioneer era?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 08:55:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Wow!! Forget basketball, hope he is okay first and foremost..I don’t blame him..question now is he a Hall Of Famer?

I don’t think so.  He was paired with some really excellent teammates in his career, and was never able to do much more than put up a good individual stats.

I don't see him as HOFer either. 

FWIW, his HOF probability index is .5089. Btw Dennis Johnson & Joe Johnson

I find this super interesting, if only because I was complaining about Bosh here the other day.

To me, Bosh and Aldridge are almost identical as far as production and impact goes.  They can both get their numbers as a main guy, good enough to be a perennial All-Star, not good enough to be in the MVP debate or carry a team.  Their career production is almost identical.

19.2 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.0 apg, 0.8 spg, 1.0 bpg, 20.6 PER, 106 WS, 31.1 VORP, 1.9 BPM

19.4 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.0 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.1 bpg, 20.7 PER, 112.6 WS, 32.6 VORP, 1.7 BPM

Yet one guy has a HOF probability of 99.5% and the other has 50.9%.

Is Bosh really that much better than Aldridge?  I think Aldridge may have even been slightly better (debatable sure, they're in the same ball park at least).   Strictly from an indivudual accolade perspective, I'd rather have the 7x All-Star, 5x All-NBA over the 11x All-Star, 1x All-NBA.

Just for fun we can play with the Hall of Fame calcs.

While Aldridge has 0 championships, I can see a world where he has a legit shot at 4 (this year with Brooklyn, and '17-'19 if Kawhi never gets injured and asks for a trade).

One championship, regardless of his role, boosts his HoF probability up +19%, 2 rings would be +33%.  That's +33% even if he was the 15th man waiving a towel on Brooklyn the next 2 years.

Forget the championships, but what about All-Star games.  Maybe he plays in the East and makes an All-Star game in 2017 over Paul Milsap.  Maybe instead of coming up on a good Portland team from '09-'11 he gets traded for Bosh and plays on a weak Toronto team and so puts up big but empty stats and gets a few additional selections there.

+1 All Star selection = +23% HoF probability
+2 All Star selections = +38% HoF probability
+3 All Star selections = +45% HoF probability

And while I'm hating on Bosh.  If we took away his 2 rings, he's still at 97.6%.  Or if we took away 2 All-star selections, he's still at 96.3%.  If we keep his production but give him Aldridge's rings and All-Star appearances he drops to 39.9%.

All-Star selection is the biggest driver and I hate it (All-NBA is better!), but I also understand this is an unofficial metric based on regression analysis and hopefully not actually used by the HoF committee.  Now excuse me while I go yell at this cloud.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 09:00:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sad news but at least not tragic. Best to walk away with your health and millions. Aldridge had a great career.

Regarding the HOF, there aren't many, if any, 7 time All-Stars not in the Hall. So though he may not be a first ballot guy, maybe 15 years from now he gets in.

Yeah, I had to look it up.  Whose Cheerios did he pee in not to make the HOF?  8-time All-Star in the pioneer era?
Were voters different back in the day? Was it a case of Faust not being liked by whoever was doing the voting? Kinda like the baseball writers not voting for guys they simply did not like personally, regardless of the player's greatness.

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 09:28:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Were voters different back in the day? Was it a case of Faust not being liked by whoever was doing the voting? Kinda like the baseball writers not voting for guys they simply did not like personally, regardless of the player's greatness.
Foust just wasn't that good.  Everyone made all star teams who was even a decent big man because there were like 5 teams in his conference.  And his career best was only 17 ppg and 13.4 rpg (not the same season).  He averaged just 13.7 ppg and 9.8 rpg.  He made the 1st Team All NBA once and the 2nd Team once, that was it.  He literally never received a single MVP vote in any season.  The simple reality is, Foust made that many all star games because there just weren't that many teams and even fewer credible big men.  He was credible, maybe even good, but he wasn't great and certainly wasn't a HOFer. 

That said Vern Mikkelsen made it in (he shouldn't have) so you could certainly argue that Foust should have as well. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Foust just wasn't that good.  Everyone made all star teams who was even a decent big man because there were like 5 teams in his conference.  And his career best was only 17 ppg and 13.4 rpg (not the same season).  He averaged just 13.7 ppg and 9.8 rpg.  He made the 1st Team All NBA once and the 2nd Team once, that was it.  He literally never received a single MVP vote in any season.  The simple reality is, Foust made that many all star games because there just weren't that many teams and even fewer credible big men.  He was credible, maybe even good, but he wasn't great and certainly wasn't a HOFer. 

That said Vern Mikkelsen made it in (he shouldn't have) so you could certainly argue that Foust should have as well.
I never saw a second of Foust's play but heard Cousy and Tommy talk about him once or twice and I seem to remember them having some respect for his game.

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 09:38:44 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Health always comes first. He's had a great career and good luck to him.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 06:04:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Such a weird final 6 months of his career. Was still putting up 19/7 last season, and fast forward and he's been traded and now retires. Hope he's well, definitely the right call
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)