Author Topic: "Adam Silver said the NBA will not require anyone to get a Vaccine"  (Read 3927 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 And added he thinks Most players will get them. As of now not a single player has taken the jab.

It doesn't sound like most players will get one. Perhaps by next year. Thoughts on this pretty big news.

Re: "Adam Silver said the NBA will not require anyone to get a Vaccine"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 04:30:58 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
And added he thinks Most players will get them. As of now not a single player has taken the jab.

It doesn't sound like most players will get one. Perhaps by next year. Thoughts on this pretty big news.

Haven’t they not received it because they aren’t yet eligible?

I really think once eligible a high % will take it.  There is a strong socially conscious element among the players and coaches and a strong sense that they have responsibility as models.  By the time eligible, there will be strong evidence that the vaccines are safe.  There will also likely be evidence that black communities will still be under-vaccinated and probably have higher infection rates.  With the de factors on play I believe NBA players will vaccinate.  But who knows?

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:37:09 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
It's common sense. People are free to decide what they wanna do with their body.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 04:54:08 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It's common sense. People are free to decide what they wanna do with their body.

It's in the law.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 05:13:40 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

It's in the law.
Hope you say the same thing about abortions as well. Plenty of conservatives are in favour of free choice when it comes to vaccines, but they have a very different view regarding abortions.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 05:53:54 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

It's in the law.
Hope you say the same thing about abortions as well. Plenty of conservatives are in favour of free choice when it comes to vaccines, but they have a very different view regarding abortions.

Of course I say the same thing about abortions. I'm not an American, so naturally my views are often different from conservatives in the USA.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 07:33:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I’m not surprised no players have gotten the shot because they would not be able to get it at this point (in most if not all states currently).

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 07:37:54 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Back to the topic, I'm not sure but I think Silver could probably exercise some control in this case if he wanted to -- not able to force players to vaccinate but requiring it if they want to participate in the playoffs.  But I'm not surprised that he's not going there.   I do think he will encourage players, coaches, etc. to take the vaccine and probably will provide education as to the safety and value of taking it. 

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 09:14:28 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Back to the topic, I'm not sure but I think Silver could probably exercise some control in this case if he wanted to -- not able to force players to vaccinate but requiring it if they want to participate in the playoffs.  But I'm not surprised that he's not going there.   I do think he will encourage players, coaches, etc. to take the vaccine and probably will provide education as to the safety and value of taking it.

I think most will take it, with vaccine scepticism amongst a large portion of the population the worst thing you want to do is make it mandatory. and people will say "look they are focing this" Although i think the % of people willing to take it is up to 69% or something now in the USA which is good for prospect of reaching herd immunity

I think most business' wont make it mandatory, but will put in provisions that will make it hard not to get vaccinated. There will have an incentive to. Already I can bet you wont be able to travel or go to concerts or sports games without being vaccinated.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Yes, he already said that players will have more freedom of movement when traveling once they’re vaccinated, and won’t need to sit out games if they’ve been considered exposed, so I think those privileges will get most every player to sign up pretty quickly.

What he should do, at least behind the scenes at this point, is come up with a plan to schedule pauses in a playoff series if players happen to be getting their second shot.  It’s well documented that the second dose can have some pretty rough side effects for 2-3 days after.  Obviously nothing too severe, but certainly something that could affect performance on a basketball court.  It might not be the best optics for getting vaccinated if several players on a team had to sit out a playoff game all at once because of getting that second shot.  My employer told staff a couple of weeks ago that we would get an extra day of sick leave to get the vaccine.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 10:47:39 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

I think most will take it, with vaccine scepticism amongst a large portion of the population the worst thing you want to do is make it mandatory. and people will say "look they are focing this" Although i think the % of people willing to take it is up to 69% or something now in the USA which is good for prospect of reaching herd immunity

I think most business' wont make it mandatory, but will put in provisions that will make it hard not to get vaccinated. There will have an incentive to. Already I can bet you wont be able to travel or go to concerts or sports games without being vaccinated.

If airlines make it mandatory , then Silver won't be the one to have to force players to get it. They have to fly to get to their games.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 10:54:37 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's in the law.

Of course I say the same thing about abortions. I'm not an American, so naturally my views are often different from conservatives in the USA.

Let's get off this subject ASAP.  It's against forum rules.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Back on topic. Anyone else surprised by this from Silver?

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
This was true about testing too back in March-April, but it would have actually looked bad if the NBA and other leagues did have most of their players and staff mass-vaccinated while many others are struggling to create appointments or aren't even eligible yet. Most of these players are between the ages of 20-40 and aren't eligible in most, if not all states yet (unless they have pre-existing conditions which I also don't think many of them do). So I kind of think the NBA and Silver strategically said this to flame any potential fires.

If you remember back in March 2020, some NBA teams actually took up nearly half of the state's tests available having their players and personnel tested for "precaution" while hospitals barely had tests at the time. It led to a lot of outrage. The big example was the infamous Jazz-Thunder game that was postponed which basically suspended the league, and I think half of Oklahoma's tests that night were used on the Jazz and Thunder players + staff (since test capacity was very limited back then)

And maybe I'm in the minority, but I absolutely hate this nonsense of "oh let the players and rich guys (young politicians + celebrities) get voluntarily vaccinated so that others can believe it works". That's BS because the main problem at the moment is actually distributing the vaccines, and right now a good chunk of the U.S. still can't actually sign up for an appointment since they aren't eligible or some states really screwed up in their vaccine rollouts initially. Some hospital systems have already suspended additional appointments because they don't have enough vaccines now. If you let others just "cut the line" then you're just contributing to the current system in place and are content with it basically.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 12:37:21 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 08:25:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
This was true about testing too back in March-April, but it would have actually looked bad if the NBA and other leagues did have most of their players and staff mass-vaccinated while many others are struggling to create appointments or aren't even eligible yet. Most of these players are between the ages of 20-40 and aren't eligible in most, if not all states yet (unless they have pre-existing conditions which I also don't think many of them do). So I kind of think the NBA and Silver strategically said this to flame any potential fires.

If you remember back in March 2020, some NBA teams actually took up nearly half of the state's tests available having their players and personnel tested for "precaution" while hospitals barely had tests at the time. It led to a lot of outrage. The big example was the infamous Jazz-Thunder game that was postponed which basically suspended the league, and I think half of Oklahoma's tests that night were used on the Jazz and Thunder players + staff (since test capacity was very limited back then)

And maybe I'm in the minority, but I absolutely hate this nonsense of "oh let the players and rich guys (young politicians + celebrities) get voluntarily vaccinated so that others can believe it works". That's BS because the main problem at the moment is actually distributing the vaccines, and right now a good chunk of the U.S. still can't actually sign up for an appointment since they aren't eligible or some states really screwed up in their vaccine rollouts initially. Some hospital systems have already suspended additional appointments because they don't have enough vaccines now. If you let others just "cut the line" then you're just contributing to the current system in place and are content with it basically.

Agreed phantom.