Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread  (Read 207608 times)

Re: NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread
« Reply #1050 on: April 15, 2021, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Luka is insane. A buzzer-beating, game-winning, 3pt FLOATER.
I remember when people on this forum where arguing he was going to be a busy because he never played against NCAA competition to “get himself ready for NBA.”  Those we’re good times lol.

He’s an amazing player. Can’t believe Atlanta passed on him in that draft.
My recollection is most folks on here thought Luka was the best prospect in that draft and thought he should have been drafted #1.
Nah, there was a decent group of people who thought he was overrated/not as good because he was playing in Europe and didn’t showcase himself in NCAA. I thought it was a ridiculous notion. Dude was starting on Madrid when he was like 16 and playing legit Euroleague minutes.

Like any prospect, there were some vocal detractors but the general vibe on this blog back in '18 was pretty favorable towards Doncic. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1051 on: April 15, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I remember when people on this forum where arguing he was going to be a busy because he never played against NCAA competition to “get himself ready for NBA.”  Those we’re good times lol.

My recollection is most folks on here thought Luka was the best prospect in that draft and thought he should have been drafted #1.
Nah, there was a decent group of people who thought he was overrated/not as good because he was playing in Europe and didn’t showcase himself in NCAA. I thought it was a ridiculous notion. Dude was starting on Madrid when he was like 16 and playing legit Euroleague minutes.

So was Ricky Rubio... Just never know who to expect out of Europe’s players.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1052 on: April 15, 2021, 01:05:40 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Rubio has had a 10 year career as an NBA starter so far.  That's a pretty darn good outcome.  European prospects have done pretty well in the past 10 years. 

« Reply #1053 on: April 15, 2021, 01:59:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Like any prospect, there were some vocal detractors but the general vibe on this blog back in '18 was pretty favorable towards Doncic.
No doubt. It was more the logic of playing in Europe vs the NCAA. Personally, I think the top tier European talents are much better prepared for NBA than most NCAA guys at the same age.

« Reply #1054 on: April 15, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Zach Levine is in Health and Safety Protocols, and the Bulls cancelled practice out of Covid concerns (meaning there may be additional players). Tough luck for the Bulls, who bought at the trade deadline and are apt to be passed by the Raptors for the play-in game.

We have two more games against the Bulls — one on Monday when Levine will almost certainly be out, and another in early May.  I hope Levine isn’t as affected by this as some have been.

« Reply #1055 on: April 15, 2021, 05:15:06 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Rubio has had a 10 year career as an NBA starter so far.  That's a pretty darn good outcome.  European prospects have done pretty well in the past 10 years.

He’s a decent NBA player, but he was thought to be a transcendent  talent coming into the NBA and he never turned out to be a star. He also hasn’t always been a starter and never developed a reliable shot. Like I said, you just never know.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:01:49 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1056 on: April 15, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Doncic was definitely the most talked about prospect in that draft class. There was also intrigue about Bamba, but I think the majority would have taken Doncic in that draft at that time if given the possibility.

« Reply #1057 on: April 15, 2021, 08:58:47 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
ATL came out with 3 straight 3's in the 2nd half against the Bucks.  We might have a good game after all. 

ATL scares me when we play them because they can get so hot from 3, and we can't seem to stop 3 point shooting.

« Reply #1058 on: April 15, 2021, 09:05:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brook Lopez is one of those guys considered a great defensive center, but man, he violates the 3 second rule more than any other center I see play and NEVER gets called for it.

« Reply #1059 on: April 15, 2021, 09:16:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hawks should ask for a refund on that new MLK City edition center court logo. It's fugly.

« Reply #1060 on: April 15, 2021, 09:20:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Been busy so haven't been here as often lately. But nice to see the C's on a bit of a roll. They've had some quality wins along the way. Now got to take care of business the next few games and fight for the 4 seed (maybe even 3 seed IF MIL struggles a bit)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1061 on: April 15, 2021, 09:29:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Brook Lopez is one of those guys considered a great defensive center, but man, he violates the 3 second rule more than any other center I see play and NEVER gets called for it.

The Bucks get away with murder on both ends.

« Reply #1062 on: April 15, 2021, 09:38:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I wish we got to play against this Tre Young!

« Reply #1063 on: April 15, 2021, 11:10:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
QQ Nick nailing the big game by Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #1064 on: April 16, 2021, 04:47:14 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Utah All-Star G Donovan Mitchell is getting helped to the locker room with a lower leg injury in Salt Lake City.

Mitchell turned his right ankle in a pretty severe way.

per woj