Author Topic: First Round Game 4 Boston Celtics @ Atlanta Hawks 4/28/08 (8:00 PM TNT, CSN)  (Read 79772 times)

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Boston Celtics (2-1) at Atlanta Hawks (1-2) 
Monday, April 28
8:00 PM ET
Round 1, Game #4, Away Game #2
TNT, CSN HD
Philips Arena

Probable Starting Lineup
PG   Rajon Rondo   PPG 12.3 RPG 4.70 APG 7.0 EFF + 21.33 **
SG        Ray Allen   PPG 15.3 RPG 3.30 APG 3.3 EFF + 14.33
SF    Paul Pierce   PPG 15.7 RPG 3.00 APG 4.3 EFF + 15.33 
PF         Kevin Garnett    PPG 22.3 RPG 10.00 APG 3.3 EFF + 25.67
C       Kendrick Perkins     PPG 7.0 RPG 5.70 APG 0.3 EFF + 9.67
** Playoff statistics

Off the Bench
Eddie House, James Posey,  Leon Powe, Big Baby Davis,  Tony Allen,  PJ Brown, Sam Cassell,  Brian Scalabrine, Gabe Pruitt

Injury Report
Scot Pollard,  ankle, out

Probable Starting Lineup
PG Mike Bibby    PPG 9.7 RPG 2.30 APG 3.3 EFF + 5.67
SG Joe Johnson PPG 17.7 RPG 5.30 APG 4.7 EFF + 14.67
SF Marvin Williams PPG 11.7 RPG 4.30 APG 0.3 EFF + 9.00
PF Josh Smith PPG 15.3 RPG 8.00 APG 3.7 EFF + 19.00
C Al Horford PPG 15.3 RPG 11.00 APG 3.7 EFF + 23.67

Off the Bench:
Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia, Salim Stoudamire, Mario West, Jeremy Richardson, Solomon Jones, Acie Law

Injuries
Speedy Claxton, knee, out

Key Matchups
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs Marvin Williams
Actually, this should be Paul Pierce vs the Hawks team.  After the way Al Horford taunted Pierce at the end of game 3 and Pierce's reaction, I expect him to have a very big game in this one.  Horford may very well regret getting Paul Pierce mad. 

Rajon Rondo vs Mike Bibby
After being out played in games 1 and 2, Mike Bibby came back in game 3 to play very well and he showed why many thought the point guard matchup would be either even or in Atlanta's favor.  Rondo has to front Bibby and keep him from getting his team into their offense.  There will be a lot of pressure on the Celtics young point guard in this game. 

Honorable Mention
Kevin Garnett vs Josh Smith
Smith seemed to get to the hoop at will for an assortment of dunks.  Part of that was the fact that Perk played only 18 minutes and Leon Powe played only 6 minutes and that left the Celtics without an enforcer in the middle to help KG keep the Hawks away from the basket.  Big Baby is a good defender and a wide body, but he doesn't box out and doesn't defend like Perk and Powe do.  KG will need to earn his DPOY award as he looks to keep Josh Smith from scoring in this one.   

Keys to the Game
Defense  The Celtics defense was nowhere to be found in game 3 as they allowed the Hawks to shoot 47% from the field and 56% from beyond the arc.  For a team that was #1 in every defensive category during the season, this was unacceptable.  Defense is the key to winning the championship and the Celtics need to find theirs again quickly. 

Coaching  This is where the coaches earn their money.  The Hawks made adjustments in their game and it kept the Celtics off balance the entire game.  Now, Doc and Tom Thibodeau must get the Celtics to see what went wrong and to make adjustments so that it doesn't happen again.  They will need to adjust their defense to the Hawks style of play and get the Celtics to implement the adjustments.   

Rebound Rebounding becomes even more important in the playoffs because it is an indication of the desire and effort that a team puts into a game.  The Celtics were out-rebounded 43-35 in game 3 and they need to bring the effort to beat the Hawks to rebounds and so limit their 2nd and 3rd chance baskets.   

Team Play  Each Celtic seemed to be trying to win the game by themselves instead of playing the team ball that has made them so successful.  They weren't moving the ball and they weren't playing team defense.  They need to play as a team if they want to win. 

X-Factor
Bench Play  The Celtics bench didn't get it done in game 3.   They scored just 11 points with 7 of those by Posey.  Sam Cassell was 1 of 4 with 3 of those shots being ill advised shots.   The bench needs to play well and come through for the team to give the starters a rest while keeping a high level of play.   They have to do a better job of scoring.   

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Going into this series I said a loss would be good for us.  I still think in the long run it will be IF we react the right way.  We need to pick up the intensity and not lose our confidence or start questioning ourselves.

Let's keep them off the offensive board, shut down their transition, see some more Eddie House, outwork them on both ends, keep our emotions under control and just play some good Celtics basketball.  Let's go boys get it to 3-1 so we can put them away in the Garden.

1, 2, 3, UBUNTU!!
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Hey, we've got a big playoff game in half an hour.  Let's get this thread up here instead of all this crap about Pierce and his fine.  Let's take the same approach that Danny's taking, deal with it after the season.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
40oz chillin on ice in my celtic's beer bucket....chips and dip...im ready..!

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Play better D
Control the tempo
rebound better

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
come on perk...be strong brotha....

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
ray got that butter...
keve.....on my lawd...keep it up...!!!

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
That was a moving screen on Horford by definition...and that was not a foul on Ray.

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
First 3 The Truth hits he puts up the same hand symbol, the man has a sense of humor.

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
i like it...!!!

Offline Bill Walton

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
I'm ready to see us pound them!

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
PERK....!!!!

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Your trying to tell me Smith didn't foul Rondo on that layup?

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
We need to get physical with them. We need a hard foul to send a message.

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Funny that the Hawks have fully functional flame throwers on their backboards, but shot clocks that work "most" of the time.