Author Topic: Could Waters turn out to be a VanVleet type player?  (Read 6101 times)

Re: Could Waters turn out to be a VanVleet type player?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Waters is a pure PG. Vanvleet is a combo guard.

A lot to be said for this. A high percentage of Fred’s minutes were played with Kyle Lowry.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

A lot to be said for this. A high percentage of Fred’s minutes were played with Kyle Lowry.

Yeah skill set wise not comparable. I think the idea here is Can Waters become a contributor at the level of Van Fleet given both are late 2nd round picks. Or was Van Fleet even drafted?

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 10:47:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yeah skill set wise not comparable. I think the idea here is Can Waters become a contributor at the level of Van Fleet given both are late 2nd round picks. Or was Van Fleet even drafted?

VanVleet was not drafted.  He was one of my binkies, and I was a bit annoyed we missed him in a draft with 8 picks.

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 11:36:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Exactly. Thought I said that in the OP, but that’s the issue most have taken with the post. Talking purely impact
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Sounds like Edwards could be. I haven't seen too much of Waters, yet.

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2019, 01:21:35 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Exactly. Thought I said that in the OP, but that’s the issue most have taken with the post. Talking purely impact

Point taken, but in the OP you actually DID compare their games, so it’s not too surprising that people responded the way that they did. The thread title refers to “...a VanVleet type player”, after all.

You’re asking, “Does Tremont Waters have ‘Rotation Player on a Contender’ upside, like Fred VanVleet?”
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 01:59:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Point taken, but in the OP you actually DID compare their games, so it’s not too surprising that people responded the way that they did. The thread title refers to “...a VanVleet type player”, after all.

You’re asking, “Does Tremont Waters have ‘Rotation Player on a Contender’ upside, like Fred VanVleet?”
Whoops! My bad... Ha ;D

That is indeed what I’m asking. A bit less of a fun topic title though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2019, 12:10:04 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Whoops! My bad... Ha ;D

Whatever else, it’s been a great thread.

The new-look Raptors played last night, and if that game is any indication, Fred is going to get a spike in his usage rate. And, he and Kyle Lowry will be on the floor together for a lot of minutes.

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2019, 12:12:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Whoops! My bad... Ha ;D

The new-look Raptors played last night, and if that game is any indication, Fred is going to get a spike in his usage rate. And, he and Kyle Lowry will be on the floor together for a lot of minutes.

Raptors are Exhibit A of heart and talent outweigh size.  Look at their backcourt. 

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Whoops! My bad... Ha ;D

He's going to take off and make those Fred Van Jordan memes explode lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA