Author Topic: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....  (Read 36110 times)

Re: Wolves to Move Mayo to Memphis
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 01:36:14 AM »

Offline juice104

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
mayo and gay are going to be exciting to watch but they will still suck and the twolves dont have a clue what they are doing.

Re: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 01:37:40 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Again, I completely disagree. When you are as bad as these teams are, all you can do is get as much talent as possible, get the best cap space possible, and stockpile picks. Since the Ricky Davis for Wally deal, McHale has been adding picks at an okay rate. He's also stockpiled a bunch of promising players: Jefferson, Love, Gomes, Smith, Brewer, Foye are all solid young prospects (with Al the crown jewel.) This deal adds a valuable talent in Miller, who can be retraded around the deadline, (with Collins if needed) for pretty much anyone or anything. If that doesn't happen he'll still have a year to turn Miller into something.

From a cap standpoint with no one signed besides Al Jefferson for the 2009-2010 season, he should be able to play in the FA market.

He's got two extra first rounders next year (Miami and Celtics), and he makes up for losing his own 2nd to DET with the one he got tonight. Finally though he owes LAC a pick, it's top10 protected until 2012 - so it won't be a great one any time soon.

Seriously who cares if the lineup doesn't mesh perfectly next year.

Re: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 01:38:57 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
First, with OJ or with Love, Minny lacked a player who could defend the stronger centers. The good news is that there aren't that many strong Centers who score down low on offense.

Second, Al has always said that he prefers playing Center.

Third, Minny wasn't going to be good this year regardless, but they got 2 quality players in Miller and Love and should be fun to watch on offense.

Fourth, maybe Minny still likes Foye, Mccants and Brewer.

Fifth, Love is easier to work into the current roster.

Sixth, you never say 'No' to trade offers from Chris Wallace.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 01:51:18 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Wolves fans are ready to kill themselves, and it's justified.

Kevin McHale just got train ran on him... by Chris Wallace. That is sad.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 01:59:38 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
mayo and gay are going to be exciting to watch but they will still suck and the twolves dont have a clue what they are doing.

I think Gay should change his last name to "Gayo."  If Heisley is really all about money I think Gayo and Mayo would make a great marketing dynamic duo. Just a thought. It's late. :-\

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:38 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
This trade just seems really dumb for Minnesota. Why do you need Kevin Love when you have Big Al and no PG? Is Love a defensive guru? what does he add?

Also what is going on with Chris Wallace? How is he going to keep both Conley and Mayo? I thought Conley was supposed to be better than Chris Paul, I guess this trade shows he has little confidence in Conley.

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
This trade just seems really dumb for Minnesota. Why do you need Kevin Love when you have Big Al and no PG? Is Love a defensive guru? what does he add?

Also what is going on with Chris Wallace? How is he going to keep both Conley and Mayo? I thought Conley was supposed to be better than Chris Paul, I guess this trade shows he has little confidence in Conley.

couldn't disagree more: MIN has Foye at the PG -- whether or not he's a true PG, he's their starter and woulda been ahead of Mayo (who i like, but at SG, a la Wade). Getting Miller is awesome for Jefferson, and getting Collins lets Big Al move to the 4, while Love gets used to playing in the NBA.  A terriffic move by McHale.

take out  Love & Mayo -- both of whom should be good -- and this is Miller & Collins for Antoine, Jaric and Buckner.... where do i sign up?

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 02:41:15 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
take out  Love & Mayo -- both of whom should be good -- and this is Miller & Collins for Antoine, Jaric and Buckner.... where do i sign up?

Except you're ignoring the fact that Memphis clears 14 million off the cap next year while Minnesota will have that money tied up in Miller and Collins. I'd rather have Miller's salary to spend on a free agent in '09. (Swapping Jaric's deal for Cardinal's is in Minni's favor though, it's nearly identical money, but Marko's contract has one more year on it.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:50:52 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 02:50:09 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
and here I thought McHale finally mad a good pick in Mayo...I don't know about this one.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 02:58:32 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Except you're ignoring the fact that Memphis clears 14 million off the cap next year while Minnesota will have that money tied up in Miller and Collins. I'd rather have Miller's salary to spend on a free agent in '09. (Swapping Jaric's deal for Cardinal's is in Minni's favor though, it's nearly identical money, but Marko's contract has one more year on it.)

I would think you could easily move Miller's contract for an expiring contract though.  The key usually is who is the best player in the deal. If Mayo is the real deal and Love ends up being mediocre, then Memphis wins. If Mayo ends up being overhyped and a character problem and Love does a little Cowens impersonation, then Minny wins. I think the odds are in Memphis's favor, but we shall.

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 03:13:16 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I wonder if Antoine is going to play 40 minutes for the Grizzlies and then get traded at the deadline or released to sign with a playoff team?

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 05:23:04 AM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
This is such a sick deal for the Wolves.  They got the 2 best players in it.

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 05:28:52 AM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
Wow people actually think Memphis won this deal?  Are you kidding me?  Even if you give Mayo an edge over Love or call it a push (both not true), Minny wins.  Factor in that Love will actually be better in the pros than OJ, and it's not close.  Miller is awesome. And the last thing Minny needed was another guard.  They got a legit starting 5 now.  Meanwhile Memphis has Lowry, OJ, Crittendon, and Conley.  What a log jam.

Mark my words people:  Love is going to be more productive than Mayo.  More All Star games?  Probably not.  Play for more winners?  You betcha.  Mayo projects very poorly.  He sucked against every good defense he faced.  He could pan out to be OK, with a slim chance of a guy like Gilbert Arenas (i.e. awesome but at the same time overrated), but Love is basically a lock to be a very productive pro.

McHale got the best of Wallace.  This is like Jimmy beating Timmah in the cripple fight.

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 05:34:30 AM »

Offline shbanua

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
and so the "gay-love era" has ended as quickly as it began. so disappointing.. or maybe that's why the trade was made. is the nba not ready for the "gay-love era"? smell of conspiracy?  :-\

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 06:08:13 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I think that Love, not Mayo was the 3rd best player in this draft. He and Big Al will be great together, because love can shoot from the outside and he can pass.

Mayo is not really a pg.  He would not have solved that problem for MN.

MN will try to address pg in free agency, with a player like Jayson Williams, Carlos Arroyo or Duhon.