Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90858 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #570 on: June 04, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I'm perusing the Celtics stats from this year, today.

Now that it's said and done, in 19 playoff games, Terry averaged 16.6 points, 5.7 assists, 5.3 rebounds, and only 1.2 TO's per game. He shot .406/.347/.821.

He took a big step forward this season and played admirably in a bad situation but, to me, these are still role player numbers. They're good role player numbers, but I don't see Terry as an all star. If Kyrie had been healthy and put up these numbers, he would've been ripped to shreds.

Does Terry have a higher ceiling than this? Or it 16-5-5 his destiny as a starter?

I see George Hill.  A decent player that eventually will end up being an overpaid average player. 16-5-5 with low turnovers isn't bad as a starting PG against playoff teams.

I see no reason to trade Rozier for a pick or a better pick.  We are going to contend next year.  If he is in a package for a starting quality big, great, that is a return that can help us now.  But for a medium value pick?  I don't see the point.

« Reply #571 on: June 05, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Regardless, Kyrie Irving went down and no one even noticed.  The team went on to take the Cavs to a game 7 in the ECF with Rozier running the point... Most people were not suggesting the team would do that when Kyrie was healthy.

If the Celtics have the option to trade Kyrie for multiple future firsts this offseason they'd be fools not to do it.

« Reply #572 on: June 05, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Regardless, Kyrie Irving went down and no one even noticed.  The team went on to take the Cavs to a game 7 in the ECF with Rozier running the point... Most people were not suggesting the team would do that when Kyrie was healthy.

If the Celtics have the option to trade Kyrie for multiple future firsts this offseason they'd be fools not to do it.

I couldn't disagree more. The reason you acquire draft picks is to eventually daft someone like Kyrie. The Celtics already have Kyrie.

I don't understand how the Celtics going to 7 with Cleveland means Kyrie isn't needed. If Kyrie had been here, maybe the Celtics would still be playing. Given what they showed during this playoffs, I think that's the case.

Terry Rozier was terrific after Kyrie went down but he's never going to be as good as Kyrie. Why would you trade the better player who's only 2 years older and has 6-8 more prime years ahead of him to keep the lesser player?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #573 on: June 05, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If you have Kyrie in Game 7 instead of Rozier, the Celtics are playing the NBA Finals right now.

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #574 on: June 05, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

If you have Kyrie in Game 7 instead of Rozier, the Celtics are playing the NBA Finals right now.

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

Took the words out of my mouth.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #575 on: June 05, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Gotta go for the title and then trade Rozier for peak value.

« Reply #576 on: June 06, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

This seems like sort of a silly argument to make since Kyrie A) was not healthy and B) was known to have knee problems when he was traded for. 

My point is that Kyrie's health is AT BEST an unknown and that realistically the drop off between Kyrie and Rozier is not enough to justify turning down a tasty trade package of future first round picks.

Kyrie is a VERY good point guard, but he has flaws.  This is why he was rated 13th last season in RPM among point guards.  Now Rozier was rated 19th among point guards but that's still close enough to Kyrie's ranking to justify considering trading KI.

« Reply #577 on: June 06, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

This seems like sort of a silly argument to make since Kyrie A) was not healthy and B) was known to have knee problems when he was traded for. 

My point is that Kyrie's health is AT BEST an unknown and that realistically the drop off between Kyrie and Rozier is not enough to justify turning down a tasty trade package of future first round picks.

Kyrie is a VERY good point guard, but he has flaws.  This is why he was rated 13th last season in RPM among point guards.  Now Rozier was rated 19th among point guards but that's still close enough to Kyrie's ranking to justify considering trading KI.

Why would we give up Kyrie for picks... We are clearly trying to contend...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #578 on: June 06, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

The sillier argument is thinking that trading away Kyrie Irving for a bunch of draft picks will somehow make a team, that was just a half quarter away from making the NBA Finals this past season without its two best players, better next year.

The goal is to win championships.  This team, as currently constructed, has that goal within its grasp if healthy next season.  Unless LBJ goes to Philly, they're probably going to be the proverbial favorite out of the East. 

Sending off your best player to temper the allure of potential in a bunch of unknown draft picks is a sure fire way to not achieve that goal.    This "out of sight, out of mind" mentality that Kyrie can be traded away now because of Rozier is just foolish.

« Reply #579 on: June 06, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

The sillier argument is thinking that trading away Kyrie Irving for a bunch of draft picks will somehow make a team, that was just a half quarter away from making the NBA Finals this past season without its two best players, better next year.

The goal is to win championships.  This team, as currently constructed, has that goal within its grasp if healthy next season.  Unless LBJ goes to Philly, they're probably going to be the proverbial favorite out of the East. 

Sending off your best player to temper the allure of potential in a bunch of unknown draft picks is a sure fire way to not achieve that goal.    This "out of sight, out of mind" mentality that Kyrie can be traded away now because of Rozier is just foolish.

Ohhhh… Ok you think Kyrie is the Celtics best player? 

I would say that no team in the NBA makes it to game 7 of the ECF without their best player.

I contend the team's best player is Jayson Tatum and that's who you build around.

« Reply #580 on: June 06, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

I would say that no team in the NBA makes it to game 7 of the ECF without their best player.

I contend the team's best player is Jayson Tatum and that's who you build around.

The Celtics just did it.

Depth.  A ridiculous amount of depth is what got this team to Game 7 of the ECF without their best player.

Tatum will be this team's best player in the very near future but Kyrie is this team's alpha right now.

« Reply #581 on: June 06, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

The Celtics just did it.

Depth.  A ridiculous amount of depth is what got this team to Game 7 of the ECF without their best player.

Tatum will be this team's best player in the very near future but Kyrie is this team's alpha right now.

Cbs needs to make sure Irving doesnt become the alpha on the team

Bc this means ball hogging like no tomorrow and underutilization across the board

The way the Celts started last season was perfect. Kyrie played within the system and put on the jets when required. Vs ugly part of last season where he played hero ball, missed open players/didnt get them involved enough

« Reply #582 on: June 06, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

No doubt.

You don't trade Kyrie.

The Celtics just did it.

Did they though?

Cleveland lost Irving - many people say they did not get anything of meaningful value back for him - and are in the NBA finals.

Boston lost Irving - many people say they gave up too much to get him - and were one game away from the NBA finals.

There is no example of a team getting worse after losing Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #583 on: July 09, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1016406245706645505

Danny Ainge is still a Terry Rozier fan. So am I.

#StillHereNeverLeft

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #584 on: July 09, 2018, 08:57:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1016406245706645505

Danny Ainge is still a Terry Rozier fan. So am I.

#StillHereNeverLeft

Ainge and Rozier must have some kind of relationship. You have to think one of the reasons we aren't signing Smart to a long-term deal is because Ainge would rather give that money to Rozier.

I really enjoyed Evan Turner's sense of humor when he was here; Rozier has more than made up for it.