Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 91559 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #555 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:01 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
There is not a better backup point guard in the league.
We need both Rozier and Smart to start winning Banners again.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #556 on: May 29, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
he is what he is, a high quality backup point guard, potential 6th man type player. We shouldn't be surprised in the fact that he played like one in game 7.

I've been calling all along the over the top calls to trade Kyrie irving because we have "scary terry" were ridiculous. Just as the calls to now ship terry out because of a bad game are equally as ridiculous

« Reply #557 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:35 PM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97
Terry had an excellent game 6.  Yes, the game 7 loss hurts.  But, he wasn’t the only one who played a bad game.
One thing that nobody has said is, 'If someone else *cough, Al, cough* besides Rozier and Brown had shown up for game 6..', Rozier is a hero and he gets a new-construction one-way side street named after him.

And that's not to say that I think Rozier didn't have one of the worst games of his career at the time when the spotlight was brightest. He did. But game 6 was an elimination game for Cleveland too. And Rozier wasn't the only guy who laid an egg in game 7. Jaylen Brown couldn't hit from outside. Smart couldn't hit. Morris kept making the type of Morris plays that make you not like him. Turnovers. Bad defense on Jeff freakin Green. We weren't ready. End point.

But if you're gonna use that game to hate on Rozier and hibernate when he's playing well, you're just well...you're a hater. That's not basketball analysis, it is animus pure and simple.

« Reply #558 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:03 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The thing Rozier showed is if he isn't hitting his jump shot he doesn't bring much to the table.  When he hits it he can make a big impact.  He has a ton of work to do as a ball handler and passer to become a more complete player.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #559 on: May 29, 2018, 11:10:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Both Rozier and Smart may not be Celtics come next season

Reason for Rozier to be traded:  His value can't be any HIGHER than it is now.  If Irving is back at full health and Rozier mins drop + RFA year .... value will drop.   On draft night, look for Danny to dangle Rozier + 2019 1st in an attempt to move up and draft Porter Jr.   It is nice he has several 2019 1sts , but the urgency to win is now.   

If moving up to draft Porter Jr. fails,  Rozier for the 12th or 13th pick (Clippers have both) could be a possibility where he drafts guard Divincenzo (2018 March Madness tourney MVP).  Has already taken him out for lunch and rumor is, that he is high on him.  Both Porter Jr and Divincezo have NBA bodies and are NBA ready.

Then come Jul 1st if Danny doesn't match an offer sheet for Smart (I doubt they will come to terms prior)..... resign Larkin

« Reply #560 on: May 31, 2018, 07:50:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Reason for Rozier to be traded:  His value can't be any HIGHER than it is now.  If Irving is back at full health and Rozier mins drop + RFA year .... value will drop.   On draft night, look for Danny to dangle Rozier + 2019 1st in an attempt to move up and draft Porter Jr.   It is nice he has several 2019 1sts , but the urgency to win is now.   

If moving up to draft Porter Jr. fails,  Rozier for the 12th or 13th pick (Clippers have both) could be a possibility where he drafts guard Divincenzo (2018 March Madness tourney MVP).  Has already taken him out for lunch and rumor is, that he is high on him.  Both Porter Jr and Divincezo have NBA bodies and are NBA ready.

Then come Jul 1st if Danny doesn't match an offer sheet for Smart (I doubt they will come to terms prior)..... resign Larkin

I don't think the 12th pick is anywhere near a good enough return for Rozier. Not for a team looking to win a championship next year. If Ainge doesn't get a Godfather offer for Rozier, he can bring him back, have a great backup pg for this championship run in '19 and then the Celtics still have the leverage in a sign-and-trade because Rozier is restricted.

Rozier's value is high now but there's no pressure to actually make a deal yet.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #561 on: May 31, 2018, 08:09:17 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Divincenzo is currently slated to go to the Cs at #27; there is no way Danny is going to trade Rozier just to move up to take him. Also, frankly, Porter is all over the place right now - he may actually be available at #12 or 13 (ESPN mock draft had him at #15 - which is crazy). That would obviously be amazing for us if we were able to snag him that late.

« Reply #562 on: May 31, 2018, 08:17:12 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I don't think the 12th pick is anywhere near a good enough return for Rozier. Not for a team looking to win a championship next year. If Ainge doesn't get a Godfather offer for Rozier, he can bring him back, have a great backup pg for this championship run in '19 and then the Celtics still have the leverage in a sign-and-trade because Rozier is restricted.

The 12th pick would be a great return if we aren't planning on keeping Rozier next year. It's a deep lottery this year - there will be someone available at 12 who would go top 8 or so in a normal draft. Now is the perfect time to trade him because his RFA rights are potentially more valuable to someone else than to us.

« Reply #563 on: May 31, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still like him but if you can sell high on the guy right now & get some real value in return, you do it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #564 on: May 31, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

The 12th pick would be a great return if we aren't planning on keeping Rozier next year. It's a deep lottery this year - there will be someone available at 12 who would go top 8 or so in a normal draft. Now is the perfect time to trade him because his RFA rights are potentially more valuable to someone else than to us.

The likelihood that the #12 pick in any draft, even a deep one, becomes a rotation player is not great. If Rozier's value is so high, why would the Celtics let him go on a gamble that makes the team worse in the immediate future while they're trying to win a championship as early as this upcoming season?

He can contribute to a championship run next season, so unless Ainge can get a good return for him, keep him and I just don't see the #12 pick as a good return.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #565 on: May 31, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The likelihood that the #12 pick in any draft, even a deep one, becomes a rotation player is not great. If Rozier's value is so high, why would the Celtics let him go on a gamble that makes the team worse in the immediate future while they're trying to win a championship as early as this upcoming season?

He can contribute to a championship run next season, so unless Ainge can get a good return for him, keep him and I just don't see the #12 pick as a good return.
I think this is what gets lost in all the Trade Rozier talk.  C's are looking to contend now, not continue to gather young assets.  #12 is unlikely to be as good as Rozier is right now for a title run next year. 

He's a good player to bring off the bench behind Kyrie and Brown next year -- good depth for a title run.  Having said that, I wouldn't object to trading him for either a better veteran player or a draft pick that's in the 7-8 range (or higher) which could be a better player for next year's team.  (I think that's about the point where the talent drops a bit from probable contributor by end of season to only a possible contributor).   Obviously that type of trade would require more assets to be used besides Rozier. 

« Reply #566 on: May 31, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I think this is what gets lost in all the Trade Rozier talk.  C's are looking to contend now, not continue to gather young assets.  #12 is unlikely to be as good as Rozier is right now for a title run next year. 

He's a good player to bring off the bench behind Kyrie and Brown next year -- good depth for a title run.  Having said that, I wouldn't object to trading him for either a better veteran player or a draft pick that's in the 7-8 range (or higher) which could be a better player for next year's team.  (I think that's about the point where the talent drops a bit from probable contributor by end of season to only a possible contributor).   Obviously that type of trade would require more assets to be used besides Rozier.

If we traded Rozier, we're obviously keeping Smart. Smart/Kyrie/Larkin and even Hayward can all split ball handling duties. I'm also sure if Ainge traded for the 12th pick, he would attach some extra picks to move up an extra spot.

That being said, run this team back. Wyc doesn't care about the cost. So we'll see what happens.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #567 on: May 31, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Divicenzo is as good as you get for a mid 1st round pick

Very good lookimg prospect. Mvp of finals four

« Reply #568 on: June 04, 2018, 01:07:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
I'm perusing the Celtics stats from this year, today.

Now that it's said and done, in 19 playoff games, Terry averaged 16.6 points, 5.7 assists, 5.3 rebounds, and only 1.2 TO's per game. He shot .406/.347/.821.

He took a big step forward this season and played admirably in a bad situation but, to me, these are still role player numbers. They're good role player numbers, but I don't see Terry as an all star. If Kyrie had been healthy and put up these numbers, he would've been ripped to shreds.

Does Terry have a higher ceiling than this? Or it 16-5-5 his destiny as a starter?

« Reply #569 on: June 04, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm perusing the Celtics stats from this year, today.

Now that it's said and done, in 19 playoff games, Terry averaged 16.6 points, 5.7 assists, 5.3 rebounds, and only 1.2 TO's per game. He shot .406/.347/.821.

He took a big step forward this season and played admirably in a bad situation but, to me, these are still role player numbers. They're good role player numbers, but I don't see Terry as an all star. If Kyrie had been healthy and put up these numbers, he would've been ripped to shreds.

Does Terry have a higher ceiling than this? Or it 16-5-5 his destiny as a starter?

I don't think he has a significantly higher ceiling.  Maybe 18 points, 6 assists.  He's got to get his shooting to around 45% / 38% 3PT%.  That's a really solid point guard, which is something I never really envisioned. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes