Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90765 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2018, 10:42:05 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Rozier is the prototypical "energy guy."

Problem is when he starts at point guard for the Celtics, he plays big, really big. Bigger than in his career. This is fun because I always saw him as a great backup and I still do, but, shazzam, he has been puttin' it down and not in his usual up and down way.

He had achieved one thing that I think is really difficult...he is balancing his intensity at both ends. I don't know if Avery Bradley ever got this balance down. Terry Rozier as a starter somewhere? Based on his first 150 starts? Not a chance in heck. Last couple of months? Holy Christmas...maybe.

Energy guys don't put up 30 very often.  It's gotten to be not that surprising with TR.

« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2018, 10:44:42 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
If so, what do you see in this kid?

If you need rebounds out of your backup PG, I guess he’s okay. Otherwise, he’s got to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA.

Just quoting this so it never dies.

« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2018, 10:47:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Problem is when he starts at point guard for the Celtics, he plays big, really big. Bigger than in his career. This is fun because I always saw him as a great backup and I still do, but, shazzam, he has been puttin' it down and not in his usual up and down way.

He had achieved one thing that I think is really difficult...he is balancing his intensity at both ends. I don't know if Avery Bradley ever got this balance down. Terry Rozier as a starter somewhere? Based on his first 150 starts? Not a chance in heck. Last couple of months? Holy Christmas...maybe.

Energy guys don't put up 30 very often.  It's gotten to be not that surprising with TR.

It's still somewhat surprising.  Today was the second 30 point game of his career, so it's not happening with any regularity.  He's only scored more than 23 points twice this year.

What's not surprising anymore is TR playing really well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2018, 10:50:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If you need rebounds out of your backup PG, I guess he’s okay. Otherwise, he’s got to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA.

Well, it's right there in the OP, so it's not going anywhere.  Rozier deserved the criticism at the time.  He deserves a ton of praise for turning his shooting around completely, and he's playing with more poise and confidence than he's ever shown. 

I'm glad that he's proven me wrong.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2018, 11:36:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Sorry dude, but these mathematics are what has driven the game to be what it is now.

Well that certainly explains a lot, lol. Ugh.

Its why inside guys who shoot 53% are not valued or used nearly as much as three point shooters who shoot 45%. Just the threat of a guy who can shoot 40+% from three is valuable because if you put enough of them on the floor with a player like player three who can shoot efficiently AND get to the line, that opens space for player three types, the most efficient type scorers, to be most effective. Space the floor, and the Harden, Lebron and Durant type become that more effective. Its the math of the current NBA.

Unfortunately you can no longer look at the strengths of 12 individual players and make up game plans and plays that make each player their most effective. You can't have a playbook full of millions of plays that opens up every player to be their most efficient and useful for every type of matchup. You have to have a system and pkug the players into the system that maximizes the efficiency of the system. With of course that system being altered to make the superstars most efficient.

Thats the modern NBA. Thats the math behind it. Its not changing anytime soon.

Why not? I'm not even suggesting some kind of playbook with "millions of plays", and not just because I am not even capable of diagramming a single one, ahahaha. All I'm suggesting is to take advantage of the strengths of your players, exploit matchups, and play out of such. Chess instead of checkers, so to speak. Welp, it looks like I have to stop watching classic basketball, lol ::). Sigh.

« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2018, 12:43:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2018, 02:13:57 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
https://twitter.com/jaredweissnba/status/978065390478725120?s=21
Let that sink in.

TP.  I thought T-Roz had a great day, but I didn't realize it was history-making great!  Talking heads will have a field day with this stat tomorrow!

« Reply #397 on: March 26, 2018, 02:39:28 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Well, it's right there in the OP, so it's not going anywhere.  Rozier deserved the criticism at the time.  He deserves a ton of praise for turning his shooting around completely, and he's playing with more poise and confidence than he's ever shown. 

I'm glad that he's proven me wrong.

He surely has played a lot better, esp offensively. My main problem with Rozier though, is his inability to fight through screens effectively. He's such an athlete, he should be a great defender, but this is what hinders him from becoming one. It's one of the things that Smart and AB are elite at.

« Reply #398 on: March 26, 2018, 03:12:53 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I remember last year some of us wanted to trade Rozier for Serge Ibaka at the deadline.

:o

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #399 on: March 26, 2018, 05:11:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

“Holy Christmas, maybe. “

Understatement of the week.

« Reply #400 on: April 05, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Clutch Terry will be starting in the playoffs w/ Kyrie news.

Should we laugh or cry or both?  :D I’m pretty excited.

« Reply #401 on: April 05, 2018, 01:52:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Still here never left.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #402 on: April 05, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Is Terry Rozier the most re-litigated Celtics player since Rondo?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #403 on: April 05, 2018, 02:05:42 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Is Terry Rozier the most re-litigated Celtics player since Rondo?

Crazy isn't it, not sure what he has to do to convince people of his value and even greater potential?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I remeber the X-Factor thread we had as I been a Rozier fan not truly knowing if hell really pan out but the potential was there. I had iterated he might have a  Reggie JAckson type path in the beginning of his career. Its my only "I t old ya so!" moment  on CelticsBlog.  a bit of luck was part of it, if we can even call this luck