Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90786 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
This thread is a prime example of why the Eye Test can be more important then stats.

The stats tell you that IT is a better offensive player then Kyrie last year.  The eyes test removes any debate.

The stats tell you Rozier is the worst rotational player in the NBA? That never passed the eye test and its pretty clearly wrong.

Not sure which stats OP is looking at to come up with "worst rotational player," but Rozier is #64 in the league in VORP (value over replacement player) and #78 in BPM (box plus minus)... which is pretty [dang] good for a bench player in a 30 team league. It essentially means that Terry could be a starter on a lot of teams, including the Celtics, because he's better than Jaylen Brown in both of those rankings.

Granted, this is an old thread and numbers may have changed... but as far as I remember, the main 7 Celtics players have been crushing advanced analytics all year long.

« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rozier unfortunately will be a gonner in a season or two

Some team is going to give him the keys to start...and throw good money at him. Celtics wont be able to afford

« Reply #272 on: February 01, 2018, 02:08:57 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
My guess is he gets the start vs Atlanta also. Think they sit Kyrie until the Toronto game

« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I love this thread and Rozier....
Diggles

« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I just hope the Celtics take note of how successful they were moving the ball around (against the admittedly atrocious Knicks defense) and continue to do it even after Kyrie gets back.

« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is it just me or did the ball move its best when there wasn't a PG on the floor? I think it was the Horford-Brown- Nader-Ojeleye and I think Tatum grouping where the ball just seemed to move side to side so well with very little dribbling. Thought a couple of those 5 man groups without a PG really played terrific.

« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If so, what do you see in this kid?

If you need rebounds out of your backup PG, I guess he’s okay. Otherwise, he’s got to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA.

Is this opinion still held by anyone?

« Reply #277 on: February 01, 2018, 04:09:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If so, what do you see in this kid?

If you need rebounds out of your backup PG, I guess he’s okay. Otherwise, he’s got to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA.

Is this opinion still held by anyone?

And anyone left who wants to trade him for J. J. Barea?  Wasn't there a thread on that too?

« Reply #278 on: February 01, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
My favorite Rozier play was the Walt Frazier type steal of the inbounds pass in the backcourt against the Knicks.

« Reply #279 on: February 01, 2018, 04:53:27 PM »

Offline ItsNotLuck

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Granted, this is an old thread and numbers may have changed... but as far as I remember, the main 7 Celtics players have been crushing advanced analytics all year long.

Kyrie, Al, and Tatum have been pretty elite. But a case could potentially be made that Rozier has been our 4th best player. Per Basketball Reference:

Per 100 possessions
   ortg   drtg
KI   117   104
AH   117   101
JT   115   102
TR   106   101
JB   103   102
MM   104   102
DT   112   98

Theis has a smaller sample size. He has plays less minutes than the others and is most likely being used in specific situations where he excels due to matchups. However, I included him as the 7th because early returns look really good. Plus it's hard to quantify Marcus Smart with stats, so left him off.

« Reply #280 on: February 01, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He was doing well.  I hope he sticks with the decisive play.  If he can hit open 3's and be aggressive he can really help.  He and Smart both need to play the right way to fit together or sometimes the lack of spacing from both of them was really bogging the team down.  Hopeful it will keep getting better.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #281 on: February 01, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Is it just me or did the ball move its best when there wasn't a PG on the floor? I think it was the Horford-Brown- Nader-Ojeleye and I think Tatum grouping where the ball just seemed to move side to side so well with very little dribbling. Thought a couple of those 5 man groups without a PG really played terrific.

I think they had really good ball movement yes, because I think in part there was such a concerted effort to move the ball over how they had played for that stretch.  Morris actually did pretty well at it too, even running PG for a stretch.  He had a couple turnovers in there but overall it was good to see really focusing on ball movement.

In part it's also tied to guys being aggressive and taking shots or attacking when they can.  A few players like Rozier were a lot better than they were in the down stretch.  Tatum was really good in the second half.

Also in part I have to say I thought the Knicks were also really bad.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #282 on: February 01, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Trade him for Evans

« Reply #283 on: February 01, 2018, 07:06:49 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I need to see more before I get totally aboard the Rozier train. Every time he turns the corner he falls back to earth with a thump.

« Reply #284 on: February 02, 2018, 10:01:28 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I need to see more before I get totally aboard the Rozier train. Every time he turns the corner he falls back to earth with a thump.

I'm not sure what you mean, but ok.

It is funny that the haters get awfully quiet after a good game or series of good games. This is why I chose not to hate on Celtics players- I don't want to look foolish when the team is doing well.

Call me a homer- I'd rather not have egg on my face or hide when the Celtics play well.

There was a whole lot of negative talk about Kyrie, Terry, and Marcus. Now? crickets.