Author Topic: Deal with Detroit?  (Read 3080 times)

Re: Deal with Detroit?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 03:45:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A lot of.. um... Detroit Pistons players being discussed here.
Hahaha. Did not expect so many strong opinions on Pistons players when I kicked this thread off
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 08:54:41 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Detroit are pretty obviously in a rebuilding mode, given the failure of their acquisitions to make them anything better than the 14th seed.

So my thinking would be to try and poach Wayne Ellington from them on the cheap. He's having a career year, but even since 2014-15 to now, he's averaged 10/2/1 shooting 38% from 3 on over 5 attempts per game. Obviously he's scorching hot this year, but he's shown to be a near-40% shooter on 7 3s a game in the past. I'd much prefer him to JJ Redick at this stage, who struggles to get open looks, struggles to hit anything and plays worse defence than Ellington.

Ellington knows his role, and that is to step onto the floor and sling threes. Not much else.

He can't be traded for a month (March 3rd) because of his recently signed restriction, but what do people think it would take? A prospect (Langford) and a 2nd, or more? Maybe a protected first and a lower-end prospect (Carsen)?

In an ideal world I'd also be keen on Grant, but if Detroit flip him they'll be trying to sell high.

I recently brought up Ellington in another post and think he makes a lot of sense for this season. I would hope that a deal could be arranged with Teague going to a 3rd team under the cap and the Cs send the Pistons a 2nd using the Kanter TPE to take on Ellington. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 09:47:41 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I’d give up Edwards, G. Williams, ‘21 1st, and ‘22 2nd for Josh Jackson, who’s starting to develop and gives us a reliable backup to Tatum (and Jackson would be invested in earning a starting position alongside Brown/Tatum someday), and Ellington for a 3-guy off the bench. We’d have to wait until March 2:

https://tradenba.com/trades/skuPTW8B4

Hate to imagine Smart leaving us, but if he did we could potentially have this starting lineup in 2022-2023 if we brought in Jackson and re-signed him:

Pritchard (currently 23)
Brown (currently 24)
Jackson (currently 23)
Tatum (almost 23)
R. Williams (currently 23)

Young and hungry!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:53:45 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 10:05:27 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Not sure what you guys like about Jackson's game apart from his defense which ain't all that special either. I haven't watched him play a lot, but his advanced numbers are unimpressive to say the least. I guess the Grizzlies let him walk for a reason.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 10:11:58 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I’d give up Edwards, G. Williams, ‘21 1st, and ‘22 2nd for Josh Jackson, who’s starting to develop and gives us a reliable backup to Tatum (and Jackson would be invested in earning a starting position alongside Brown/Tatum someday), and Ellington for a 3-guy off the bench. We’d have to wait until March 2:

https://tradenba.com/trades/skuPTW8B4

Hate to imagine Smart leaving us, but if he did we could potentially have this starting lineup in 2022-2023 if we brought in Jackson and re-signed him:

Pritchard (currently 23)
Brown (currently 24)
Jackson (currently 23)
Tatum (almost 23)
R. Williams (currently 23)

Young and hungry!

I don’t think Robert Williams will ever get the chance here. He’ll be good as a rim protector elsewhere though.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:31 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
A lot of.. um... Detroit Pistons players being discussed here.

Bad, rebuilding teams tend to be a good place to pick off useful veteran players who don't fit said teams long terms plans.

Jackson has been discussed here this year. Nick Agneta pointed out he's young, and cost controlled, so they may wish to keep him. Very possible.

But Ellington is a strong candidate to be traded before the deadline. Lots of teams could use his shooting. Logical for the Pistons to extract a pick or young player for him.