Author Topic: C's close to signing Javale McGee (not no more!)  (Read 46458 times)

Re: C's close to signing Javale McGee
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Theres the rim protector!

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Million dollar athleticism, 5 cent brain.

Should be a hit on CB than. Half the people here love retards like this cause they can block a shot. ::)

And the other half of us are just here to make fun of the morons who use phrases like 'retards' with impunity.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
Well now

Danny has put together NBA equivalent of Hollywoods

The Dirty Dozen ....all  Expendable souls

Danny's Dirty Dozen

All we need is Sanders now

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Should be a hit on CB than. Half the people here love retards like this cause they can block a shot. ::)
A good knucklehead move to start it off would be to request #34 :) I can't see how that one could go wrong...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Since it looks like this might happen, I'm going to quote myself from the other day.

I would look into signing McGee, but only for a 2-year contract.  The Celtics could offer him the pro-rated remainder of their MLE, which would be approximately $1.38 million.  They could then give him a raise next year and pay him about $1.45 million.  The minimum salary for someone with McGee's experience next year is $1.36 million, so you'd be paying him a whopping $90k more than that next year.  If he works out, he's a bargain.  If he doesn't, he's really easy to move on from.  This would essentially be a 2-year, $2.8 million offer.

Teams who don't have cap space or exceptions left can only sign him to the pro-rated minimum, which is about $300k at this point.  Accordingly, McGee would need to make $2.5 million in free agency to make up the difference with the offer the Celtics could give him, which isn't impossible, but isn't guaranteed either.

It's not like Shavlik Randolph or Luigi Datome are doing much on the roster anyway.  I don't think McGee is great shakes, but I'd rather have him than either of those two, especially with the opportunity to give him a low-cost look next year.

I will also add to the above that the C's could give McGee a few dollars more if they use the BAe instead of the MLE, but I wouldn't be surorisednif Danny wants to preserve the BAE for next year.

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm not sure how much I like this signing, but good or bad, he's going to be entertaining. 

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Nothing to lose...potentially great turnaround story if it can happen.

Rak

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
I know his a knucklehead but this can be considered as a "low risk, HIGH REWARD" signing ala Evan Turner. I mean what could we lose? We could even get more National Media Attention - Shaqtin' a fool!

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
McGee gives the Celtics something they don't have for cheap.

I probably wouldn't do it, but Danny is smarter than I am.

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:14 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Total Danny move.

Ya total Danny move, this could be his 2015 version of Ricky Davis.

If this happens, I would hope it would have similar results.  Knucklehead turned fan favorite, who the C's eventually flip and sell high on.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

TP!
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Not gonna lie, I kinda hope this thing falls apart. 

Can't stand the guy.

Donoghus how would you feel if McGee did well for us though? Can't stand him either, but Wizards and Nuggets aren't exactly best destinations with inexperienced players.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I like this signing. I've always been high on McGee, but for different reasons now. Now, he's a huge, athletic guy on a little-to-nothing contract. (Before I wanted to see Rondo-McGee ally-oops.) Not a scorer, per se, but a guy that I think could be a skinny DeAndre Jordan (defense, athleticism, rebounding, rim protection, and strong dunks). He also just turned 27, folks, so there is time for him to turn it around! I was honestly surprised to find out that he was that young when I wiki searched him.

Also, national media exposure, baby! Shaqtin' a Fool, here we come! (I never did quite understand the name of that show. It sounds like it's trying really hard to be punny without a basis.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:59:09 AM by GetLucky »

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

A good knucklehead move to start it off would be to request #34 :) I can't see how that one could go wrong...

If he's dumb enough to ask for that number, I hope someone is smart enough to tell him it's off limits.

It's not officially retired yet, but unofficially, it certainly should be. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 09:58:40 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I assume the second year is non guaranteed which could help make the numbers work in a future deal.

JaVale isn't great but he absolutely has more upside than Luigi so why not do it.

I also assume he came here because we could offer him the best chance to play. The problem with that is I don't want to see him cut into any of our front court guys playing time.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19