Author Topic: Melo staying at OKC  (Read 2669 times)

Re: Melo staying at OKC
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This is a joke because anybody and everybody knows he is opting in because he wouldn't be able to get 1/4 of this contract elsewhere.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Best case for OKC seems like convincing George to re-sign and then trading Melo to the Lakers (absorb mostly into cap space) to play with Lebron. They would have to pray LAL strikes out in FA beyond Lebron.

I suppose Melo could also be traded to Philly, too, but another big 1 yr deal for Redick would probably be better.

Lakers have been trying to get rid of Deng for years now. I find it highly unlikely they'll take on Melo, even if he's a one year rental. Unless for some reasons, OKC decides to take on Deng's contract, which would be beyond my logic.

He costs way too much, but he  isn’t totally useless like Deng or Parsons. If the Lakers are able to sign Lebron, but nobody else of any impact, brining in Melo for a year wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. Melo would almost certainly accept a trade to play with Lebron and the Lakers can try again next year if they really want to.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There was no suspense in that. 

It would be funny if the Lakers strike out in free agency again.

Not funny... utterly fantastic.  I am sick to my stomach that once again (as with Shaq) they'll steal the best player in the league by just tanking and creating cap space.  Disgusting how easy the formula is for the Laker in every basketball generation.  They'll inevitably catch the C's in championships because they never have to go more than 5 years without being in contention.  If they get a Big 3 (LBJ, George and Paul or Leonard) this off-season, Magic will get credit -- but, in all honesty, I could be GM of the Lakers -- well, maybe not me...  but it's the easiest GM job in sports.
I definitely agree it's the easiest GM job in sports, if not the Yankees.  At least they have LaVarr Ball messing them up. 

Although historically they've done some things well.  Trading for Kobe.  (They also basically hit on their other rookies that year). Drafting Kuzma and Josh Hart. Paying money for Jordan Clarkson out of the 2nd round. Drafting Marc Gasol in the 2nd round.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
On the surface it looks like OKC were idiots for getting Melo's contract that would put them in cap hell - I mean $120M in taxes?  My God man that's insane.  BUT, I think they consider this the cost of getting Westbrook to sign his contract.  Giving Westbrook hope was what PG and Melo were all about.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
There was no suspense in that. 

It would be funny if the Lakers strike out in free agency again.

Not funny... utterly fantastic.  I am sick to my stomach that once again (as with Shaq) they'll steal the best player in the league by just tanking and creating cap space.  Disgusting how easy the formula is for the Laker in every basketball generation.  They'll inevitably catch the C's in championships because they never have to go more than 5 years without being in contention. If they get a Big 3 (LBJ, George and Paul or Leonard) this off-season, Magic will get credit -- but, in all honesty, I could be GM of the Lakers -- well, maybe not me...  but it's the easiest GM job in sports.
I definitely agree it's the easiest GM job in sports, if not the Yankees.  At least they have LaVarr Ball messing them up. 

Although historically they've done some things well.  Trading for Kobe.  (They also basically hit on their other rookies that year). Drafting Kuzma and Josh Hart. Paying money for Jordan Clarkson out of the 2nd round. Drafting Marc Gasol in the 2nd round.
didnt the lakers try to resign howard?

didnt the lakers try to sign aldridge?

didnt the lakers try to sign horford?

and even some smaller fish got away just in 2017:

• The Lakers spoke with former Luke Walton teammate and Rob Pelinka client Andre Iguodala in free agency’s opening hours (Update: He re-signed with the Warriors).

The Lakers spoke with Ben McLemore on July 1 (Update: He signed with the Grizzlies).

The Lakers had a meeting with Dion Waiters on July 2. He is still deciding between the Lakers, Knicks and HEAT (Update: He re-signed with the HEAT).

The Lakers met with George Hill on July 3 to talk about a one-year deal (Update: He signed with the Kings).

Jamal Crawford reportedly wants to play with Lonzo Ball on the Lakers if he’s bought out (Update: Crawford plans to sign with Minnesota).

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/1/15909840/nba-free-agency-rumors-la-lakers-meetings-nick-young-andre-iguodala-ben-mclemore-twitter-news

feel free to go even further back than 2017 to find more. LA's last major free agent was in... when? this board forever lives in the narrative of "LA signs anyone they want" for reasons that elude me.

next, the lakers have not been above .500 for the past FIVE YEARS and the year before that they were bounced in the first round of the playoffs. whether they were "contenders" for the two years before that is up to debate.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva