Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 63179 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think there is going to be a lot of disappointed people in this thread after Tacko gets cut. Tacko is not an NBA player and shouldn't be on this Celtics roster.

I hope he clears waivers and signs in Maine to get that $50,000. But if he doesn't clear waivers and someone picks him up, no real loss. He probably has an extremely limited NBA career at best anyway.

Would you rather have Strus on a 2 way contract than Fall?
Neither. I don't think either are NBA players. Not sure why you think that's and either/or question.

« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
If he were to play against the bigger stronger players in the league, he'd get dominated. He has no offense other than to drop the ball in the hoop, an opportunity he wouldn't get often if playing against legit NBA centers, and he's a terrible FT shooter so there's always an easy out for the opponent. He's too slow to set screens, gets dusted if he has to switch on D, and isn't making anything outside of 5 ft.

He's just not an NBA player. But with his size and a lower level of competition, I've no doubt he can make a nice living in Europe. He seems like a great guy, I wish for the best for him.

« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2019, 11:38:37 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think there is going to be a lot of disappointed people in this thread after Tacko gets cut. Tacko is not an NBA player and shouldn't be on this Celtics roster.

I hope he clears waivers and signs in Maine to get that $50,000. But if he doesn't clear waivers and someone picks him up, no real loss. He probably has an extremely limited NBA career at best anyway.

Neither. I don't think either are NBA players. Not sure why you think that's and either/or question.

I think it can be an either/or question as currently Strus is signed to a 2 way deal along with Waters.   If there is a minute chance either are NBA players I’d rather take the chance on the 7’6” inch guy with the biggest standing reach ever in the NBA, and protect him for now with a 2 way contract.  If he happens to turn into a Boban or Shawn Bradley that’s worth the risk.

The Celtics themselves have said they are pleasantly surprised as he has more mobility than they thought, and he’s not a toothpick like Bol Bol or like his father was.

« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »

Offline DrinkinCelticKool-Aid

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 36
We saw what he did against Zion, now he is changing games in summer league, I don't know why he wouldn't be kept around to see what impact he would have in the paint against a team like Philly? I get that's a entirely different talent level.
I'm not saying he would play lights out, but how well would Struss or Yabu do. I mean Yabu was a three year experiment without as much of a potential upside as Tacko.
 At least if add him in place of some dead weight at the end of the bench, and if he turns out to be a bust you could at least you find out before another team tests his potential. I think just sticking him in Maine without getting a chance to compete against better players you're still not going to know what you have in Tacko.

« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think it's pretty likely that he'll be brought to camp and will either be given a two way contract or offered a spot in Maine. I don't think he's going to get a spot on the 15 man roster, although it is of course possible.

« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
We saw what he did against Zion, now he is changing games in summer league, I don't know why he wouldn't be kept around to see what impact he would have in the paint against a team like Philly? I get that's a entirely different talent level.
I'm not saying he would play lights out, but how well would Struss or Yabu do. I mean Yabu was a three year experiment without as much of a potential upside as Tacko.
 At least if add him in place of some dead weight at the end of the bench, and if he turns out to be a bust you could at least you find out before another team tests his potential. I think just sticking him in Maine without getting a chance to compete against better players you're still not going to know what you have in Tacko.
Didn't Zion go for 32 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 assists in that game, all higher than his season averages?

« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2019, 12:01:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think it can be an either/or question as currently Strus is signed to a 2 way deal along with Waters.   If there is a minute chance either are NBA players I’d rather take the chance on the 7’6” inch guy with the biggest standing reach ever in the NBA, and protect him for now with a 2 way contract.  If he happens to turn into a Boban or Shawn Bradley that’s worth the risk.

The Celtics themselves have said they are pleasantly surprised as he has more mobility than they thought, and he’s not a toothpick like Bol Bol or like his father was.
Just because he has more mobility than they thought doesn't mean they think very much of him. The caveat they may be withholding is "We are very surprised by his mobility ...that said, he still doesn't have an ability to move that would be effective on an NBA court."

The man can not move laterally to save his life. My 80 year old dad can guard players on the perimeter better than Tacko. He lacks any type of explosion in his first step, which renders him useless in any type of pick and roll offense. He only has offense from 3 feet in so you want to play him there but he is, for his size and length, a pitiful rebounder.

If Tacko was just 7' tall, he wouldn't even be getting a chance on a Summer League team. Because he is as tall and long as he is, he is getting this chance, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have NBA talent or the athleticism necessary to make his unreal height and length work in the NBA to overcome his lack of talent.

« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 708
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Well with Yabu being waved there is a roster spot for someone...

« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2019, 12:04:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I could see it happening if Theis plays more PF. 

« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2019, 12:48:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Just because he has more mobility than they thought doesn't mean they think very much of him. The caveat they may be withholding is "We are very surprised by his mobility ...that said, he still doesn't have an ability to move that would be effective on an NBA court."

The man can not move laterally to save his life. My 80 year old dad can guard players on the perimeter better than Tacko. He lacks any type of explosion in his first step, which renders him useless in any type of pick and roll offense. He only has offense from 3 feet in so you want to play him there but he is, for his size and length, a pitiful rebounder.

If Tacko was just 7' tall, he wouldn't even be getting a chance on a Summer League team. Because he is as tall and long as he is, he is getting this chance, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have NBA talent or the athleticism necessary to make his unreal height and length work in the NBA to overcome his lack of talent.

Too harsh. There was replay of him moving laterally pretty well last night. But he is still a novelty act at this point and unlikely to be used for a roster spot.

« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
He needs to add a bit of aggressive attitude .....he seems very worried about hurting people I think    i m sure he had to be careful growing up .   He wastes alot of time looking DOWN when he recieves the ball.   He needs to worry about looking UP and getting the ball in the hole and not steping on people .  His own players will learn how to stay out of his way.

He needs to get over being nice to the other team ....if they are stupid enough to get in his space .....then they must pay the price.

That nuggets  guy who stepped in front of 310 pds of moving mass got the ever living crap knocked out of him.   He was woosie long after the play ,  sitting on the side line shaking his head ....he got his bell rung , by stepping in Tacko way.   

Tacko needs to learn to get low , make his stop and CALL for the ball , so either its gonna be a dunk or he will get fouled .

If this dude can learn to be a 75 % ft shooter ....OMG and be agressive on offense.   He ll,be nearly unstoppable.  Yeams bigs will have to foul out to stop his dunks .

« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2019, 01:19:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
In some ways .....im wondering if Tacko might be more popular with Boston fans than Kyrie ever was. 

« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
And since plenty are asking, as of now there are no plans for Tacko Fall to claim the Celtics' 15th roster spot. Plan is still for him to enter camp on his Exhibit 10 deal and proceed from there.

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1149030065729990656

« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2019, 03:40:27 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
And since plenty are asking, as of now there are no plans for Tacko Fall to claim the Celtics' 15th roster spot. Plan is still for him to enter camp on his Exhibit 10 deal and proceed from there.

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1149030065729990656
I believe that signing an exhibit 10 means that Boston owns his rights. So they don't have to worry about a team poaching him until after training camp.

I bet they bring in a couple guys to compete for the last roster spot in training camp.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Is faried still a FA?  Be nice to get another true PF onto the team to add some toughness when JT/GH sit.