Author Topic: If only other pro athletes where like this. (Same with everyone else)  (Read 3495 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/04/brooks_laich_changes_a_tire_af.html?hpid=topnews

Brooks Laich changes a tire after Game 7

Mary Ann Wangemann and her 14-year-old daughter Lorraine were already in a fairly poor mood Wednesday night. The Washington Capitals -- the first sports team they had rooted for together, the team that prompted 49-year old Mary Ann to begin painting her face before games and to sign up for a season-ticket waiting list -- had been eliminated in Game 7 of the NHL playoffs. The season was over.

So the Wangemanns were driving home to Ashburn, and they got on the Roosevelt Bridge, trying to remain optimistic about the future of the team. Then they hit a pothole and got a flat tire. Perfect ending to the night.

Mary Ann pulled over to the side of the bridge, and called AAA. They said they had a heavy volume of calls, and that they weren't sure how long it would take to send help. Mary Ann and Lorraine, still wearing their Caps gear, got out of the car and watched the traffic whiz by.

"We were getting a little spooked," she told me. "You feel pretty vulnerable right there."

Finally, an SUV slowed down ahead of them and pulled over. And then Brooks Laich got out and asked if he could help.

Re: If only other pro athletes where like this. (Same with everyone else)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:20:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I read that last night, and was very impressed.  Most people wouldn't stop to help somebody else out if they had the day off, let alone after a tough day at work when they're wearing a nice suit.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: If only other pro athletes where like this. (Same with everyone else)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:31:09 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/04/brooks_laich_changes_a_tire_af.html?hpid=topnews

Brooks Laich changes a tire after Game 7

Mary Ann Wangemann and her 14-year-old daughter Lorraine were already in a fairly poor mood Wednesday night. The Washington Capitals -- the first sports team they had rooted for together, the team that prompted 49-year old Mary Ann to begin painting her face before games and to sign up for a season-ticket waiting list -- had been eliminated in Game 7 of the NHL playoffs. The season was over.

So the Wangemanns were driving home to Ashburn, and they got on the Roosevelt Bridge, trying to remain optimistic about the future of the team. Then they hit a pothole and got a flat tire. Perfect ending to the night.

Mary Ann pulled over to the side of the bridge, and called AAA. They said they had a heavy volume of calls, and that they weren't sure how long it would take to send help. Mary Ann and Lorraine, still wearing their Caps gear, got out of the car and watched the traffic whiz by.

"We were getting a little spooked," she told me. "You feel pretty vulnerable right there."

Finally, an SUV slowed down ahead of them and pulled over. And then Brooks Laich got out and asked if he could help.

Very cool thanks for the post.  I know the spot where she was stuck and it's a very dangerous area with a limited shoulder area for replacing a tire.  I can imagine it was pretty scary for this lady and her daughter.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
No matter how much I Hate the Yankees, this was a really good story and strong act by Joe Girardi, that reminded me of it because of what Laich did.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4625899

"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce