Author Topic: Its called Bruins...  (Read 5619 times)

Its called Bruins...
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:47:28 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I've never been the biggest on Hockey but I am a Boston sports fan and like to see all the teams do well.

That said, what is a Hockey fans perspective of the Bruins this year? Are you excited about the team? Any chance for a cup?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Its called Bruins...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:01:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am very excited for the Bruins this year.  They made a great run last year, and now they have Bergeron back, they should be even better.  I think they are still a piece or two away from making a run at the cup, but they should be a very good team, and fun to watch with some of the young guys.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:05:36 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Put me down as catiously optimistic.

Despite the all the regular season losses, the injury to a great young man in Bergeron, and the fact that the B's couldn't get out of the 1st round, last season really rejuvinated the hockey enthusiast within me.

When bergeron went down, it looked like the season would go down a similar path, but what an experience it was to watch all the young guys come together and rally late in the season to secure a playoff birth.

The bruins were not a great hockey team last year, and they really didn't have a lot of business being in the playoffs (despite the fact that nearly every team gets in), but the effort they put forth against the Canadians (after getting swept by them in the regular season) was nothing short of incredible.  i went to the 1st home playoff game and the rivalry between the two teams (particularly the fans) was as good as ever - Canadians fans showed up in HUGE numbers to support their team, yet, despite the lack of support for the B's these days, Bruins fans countered throughout the day/night with loud support and unwavering enthusiasm.

With the experience gained by last years rookies, and rookie coach, this years squad should be poised for another playoff run.  And let me tell you right now, if you've never been to an NHL playoff game, you're missing out on one of the best fan experiences in town.  The electricity in the Garden, particulary when the Habs are in town, is just flat out incredible.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:14:37 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Hockey starts too early and ends too late.  Ice games when it's not freezing out just seems wrong.

I'm in a holding pattern with the B's.  If they seem like a watchable team, I'll watch them.  I'm not ready to commit to hockey again though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:21:45 AM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:34 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'm with the OP on this one.  Not much of a hockey fan, but it is a Boston team and I hope they do well.  The end of last year was pretty entertaining.  For the first time in awhile I'm actually mildly excited for the season to begin.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Who's our goalie again? Andrew Raycroft?

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
So long as Jerry Jacobs owns the Bruins, I can't be overly optimistic. The young kids are fun to watch though. I'll still root for them. But (gasp!) the Flyers are my favorite team.