Author Topic: Ford 8.0: Dunn to Celts with 3rd Pick  (Read 8994 times)

Re: Ford 8.0: Dunn to Celts with 3rd Pick
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Honestly I don't get it. Seems like Dunn is a better passing Smart. Both great on defense neither can shoot the ball, and what we need right now is shooters and bigs!! :o

I think dunn shot 37% from 3 with good mechanics. He also utilized a midrange step back game.

Dunn's a better shooter and has room to improve like Smart. Both force too many bad shots. Their Total Shooting% in college were similar, but Smart got to the line a lot more in college than Dunn to drive that up number up and hasn't been able (and is unlikely to) replicate that in the NBA. Smart shot under 30% from beyond the arc in college.

Dunn's a better passer, playmaker, and shot creator. Think Smart's the better defender with very rare instincts, but Dunn will be far above average and is considered the best on-ball defender in this draft. I do like Smart, but not sure you'd get value in a trade as opposed to AB if you'd want to trade one of the two. May not be able to get the value for AB either though since he'd most appeal to contenders and near contenders who need a guard who can cover guys like Curry and Irving.

Think Dunn's the BPA with the possible exception of Bender. Not the catch-and-shoot ability that Hield and Murray have, but better in every other way and there are questions about Hield and Murray's ability to create shots in the NBA. You also face the same issue as far as a crowded backcourt drafting one of these two too.

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
Honestly I don't get it. Seems like Dunn is a better passing Smart. Both great on defense neither can shoot the ball, and what we need right now is shooters and bigs!! :o

I think dunn shot 35% last year and 37% from 3 this year with solid mechanics while having the ball (as opposed to a spot up shooter.) He also utilized a midrange step back game.
I don't think his mechanics are that good, which is why even though he shot 35 and 37 percent from 3 people still question his shooting.

Yea he seems to shoot it a little flat (from the reports I've seen.) However, those shooting clips have to atleast say something given he was THE GUY for his team. As the primary ball handler it's harder to hit at a high percentage (on a side note it's one of the qualities that make curry amazing lol) than if you are just spotting up for the shot.
#JKJB

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I get so annoyed at posters complaining about the possibility of trading a good player (like IT).  We aren't saying that these players should be CUT.  In that kind of scenario, sure, you only consider getting rid of the worst players (roughly). 

But in a trade scenario, any player can be discussed because in theory it is value for value.  Shake my head at people only wanting to trade players they don't like.  If that is the case, be ready to get a player you don't like in return.

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I think dunn shot 35% last year and 37% from 3 this year with solid mechanics while having the ball (as opposed to a spot up shooter.) He also utilized a midrange step back game.
I don't think his mechanics are that good, which is why even though he shot 35 and 37 percent from 3 people still question his shooting.
Yeah, I think Dunn's mechanics are pretty bad as well.

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
At this point I think it's clear the mock drafters are just shifting through every possible selection at three just to say at one point they called the right guy.
Pho, what's a scenario nobody has considered yet.  Let's come up with something plausible and later take credit for it if it happens.  We haven't heard any rumors surrounding Jabari Parker for a while.   Is Marcus Smart + #3 + #16 for Jabari Parker and #10 plausible enough ?

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2016, 05:24:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Good old Danny puffing up the value of #3.

Saying that Dunn is soooooo good that he'd even trade his All Star point guard on the best value contract in the NBA to take this kid with the pick.

Right now all I'm reading from this is that Dunn is up there in serious #3 contention and there are at least two teams that want him and are potentially talking about giving up pieces for Dunn. But you can't just offer a better package than the others, you have to have something that we'd want even MORE than this amazing point guard prospect who we'd trade IT for (sure Danny) because he's basically a guaranteed All Star.

Danny: To get that #3 pick you better be coming with the real stars or prospects.
This general take makes a lot of sense.

All three players who have been tied to the #3 spot in the last couple of weeks (Bender, Chriss & Dunn) are also reportedly highly coveted by at least one other team up in the top 8.

It seems very likely Danny is using smoke to test the weather.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2016, 12:55:38 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I put our chances at drafting dunn at less than 10% unless we are moving both Smart and IT.  And I don't see that happening any time soon.  It's more likely we are trying to generate buzz on the #3 pick then trade it for a star like Butler, George, Griffin, Cousins, etc.

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2016, 01:03:24 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
At this point I think it's clear the mock drafters are just shifting through every possible selection at three just to say at one point they called the right guy.
Pho, what's a scenario nobody has considered yet.  Let's come up with something plausible and later take credit for it if it happens.  We haven't heard any rumors surrounding Jabari Parker for a while.   Is Marcus Smart + #3 + #16 for Jabari Parker and #10 plausible enough ?

The funny thing is, with Danny, it always seems like if you think of it ahead of time, it won't happen.

I spent so much energy leading up to the Rondo trade trying to figure out who would trade for Rondo, and what they'd give up.  I did not see Dallas coming. 

I certainly never anticipated the Perk for Jeff Green trade, nor the Isaiah Thomas trade.

Basically, whatever we don't think of is what will end up happening.  So let's not think too hard lest we come up with all of the pleasing scenarios.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2016, 01:39:43 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I read that Dunn wanted to play in Minnesota....Maybe draft him for Minny.

Trade Dunn/Rozier for #5 (Bender) plus Lavine-?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2016, 02:34:43 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
This is an interesting scenario

If ainge doesn't think he'll be able to make a trade for a butler, George, or cousins
And won't be able to get Durant in free agency

It would be possible for us to go rebuild more
A one step forward - two steps back approach

We draft Dunn
Then ainge trades IT for Okafor (I think NY would also want Thomas but they don't have any assets or players we want to trade us)

This seems like an unlikely scenario
As though ainge could still draft Dunn
But He would most likely wait to trade Thomas to see whether Dunn pans out
Maybe playing Dunn at SG as well alongside Thomas to see how he would fit

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2016, 02:38:18 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

Though his mechanics are bad right now
I think he would improve his shot in the NBA
He shoots with confidence despite his %

He also has great ball handling ability and athleticism which makes me think he'd be able to create his own shot at the NBA level

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2016, 05:44:05 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Though his mechanics are bad right now
I think he would improve his shot in the NBA
He shoots with confidence despite his %

He also has great ball handling ability and athleticism which makes me think he'd be able to create his own shot at the NBA level

Dunn hits a decent percentage despite his mechanics unlike Smart or Rondo. He also takes a lot of bad shots like Smart (partly because he had to). Unlike Murray, Hield, and Smart, Dunn can create his own shots easily. Gets open and takes an ugly shot. Goes in enough though.

Biggest problem Dunn has is shot discipline (like Smart) and defensive discipline (too much steal grubbing). Fixable. Should be able to move TS% towards 60% if he does.