Author Topic: Ford 8.0: Dunn to Celts with 3rd Pick  (Read 8993 times)

Re: Ford 8.0: Dunn to Celts with 3rd Pick
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 10:37:01 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Dunn at 3 wouldn't surprise me, but trading IT instead of AB or MS would.

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 10:38:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Man I love IT but this exact scenario is what I think would be the best move for the celtics moving forward. I personally believe dunn is going to surprise people with his abilities.

On the IT front, there are some issues with IT and the future fit of a championship contender. I already made a post about his smaller than average window, and the assumption he will want to be payed like an allstar right when the decline begins. I won't rehash the specifics here.

If Teague can bring back a noel caliber player, imagine what IT could bring us. These are the kinds of moves that savy GMs make that set the team up for years to come.

The only caveat is that if ITs presence helps us land a Durant, then of course you don't move the guy.

I'm worried that the celtics have created this air of support for their players (aka we have your back) with bringing IT here and letting him blossom. Not to mention having him be the face of our team in the lottery. Might this stop them from making the savy play for the future? Maybe

If Dunn is better than IT as early as next year, then what should Dunn bring back?  Star free agents want to play with IT, not Kris Dunn.  They don't know who Kris Dunn is.

Correct. That's why I mentioned the Durant part in there. That's why you pick the BPA at 3, and can move him if we do snag a star free agent this year (Durant is really the only star in my opinion.) If not, try to use IT as a piece before it's too late and we are stuck with a bad contract on a declining 5'9 gunner.

Yeah, declining 5'9" gunner does not accurately describe IT.  At all.  He's 5'9".  He also had the best PER, Win Shares, BPM, and VORP of his career.  So not declining.  He also had the highest assist rate of his career.  So not a gunner.  Please learn what you're talking about, and then post.

Not attacking you so I don't know why you are. I also implied he would be a declining gunner once he got his new contract in a few years. IT has been known to take some wild shots (like a gunner) and getting assists doesn't necessarily make someone not a gunner. When I refer to someone as a gunner, I'm usually talking about someone who takes a high volume of shots from the perimeter (or long mid range) who doesn't necessarily knock down a huge volume.

Just because we have a fundamentally different opinion of how effective IT will be when he is 29-34 doesn't mean you have more of a right to post than I do. I am well aware of how effective he was this year.

Sorry, your implication was too well hidden for me to see.

Anyway, trading away star players is not the way to move forward.  Star free agents won't sign here if IT is traded, plain and simple.  You don't trade him now because you're worried in four years he might not be worth the contract you might give him in two years. That's a concern you deal with two years from now, or even next year when you can offer him an extension.  It is not a concern for today.

If Ainge believes he has a reasonable chance of signing a free agent star this summer or next, he cannot trade IT.  And I do very much believe that he has said chance.

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 10:47:52 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
In looking at the rest of his mock, I found the following interesting:

- Zizic moving up to 16. Previous mocks have had him in the 20's
- Luwawu completely falling out of the first round. He's consistently a mid-teens prospect on every other board and was high in Ford's earlier rankings
- Maker going to Denver with their third 1st. Makes perfect sense
- PHO passing on Bender for Chriss
- Zubac keeps getting closer to Zizic, with his offensive skills appealing

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 10:48:04 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I don't really think saying stuck with a declining gunner on a bad contract is too far hidden considering he is on a great contract now. Anyway I agree with most of your post. IT is the link to building through free agency. I guess im not as high on our chances of landing these stars that can bring a banner. I'm just cautious about hitching our wagon to someone who I don't see as having the largest window. If we are aiming for a type of run as our last rebuild (competing window of roughly 5 years starting next year) then yes IT is our 1st building block. If we are aiming for truly competing for 10 years starting a few years from now, he may be better used as a trade piece.
#JKJB

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 10:51:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Good old Danny puffing up the value of #3.

Saying that Dunn is soooooo good that he'd even trade his All Star point guard on the best value contract in the NBA to take this kid with the pick.

Right now all I'm reading from this is that Dunn is up there in serious #3 contention and there are at least two teams that want him and are potentially talking about giving up pieces for Dunn. But you can't just offer a better package than the others, you have to have something that we'd want even MORE than this amazing point guard prospect who we'd trade IT for (sure Danny) because he's basically a guaranteed All Star.

Danny: To get that #3 pick you better be coming with the real stars or prospects.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2016, 11:09:32 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Here's a question for folks, considering the obsession with a Sixers trade:

Would you rather have

1) Dunn and Noel;
2) Smart and Bender;
3) Dunn and Chriss (because you trade Smart plus #16 to the Wolves for #5)?

Chriss for Marcus Smart + Deyota Davis or Korkmaz or Valentine.  Ah no...

Also, what's with all the "haha, Danny trying to inflate the value of the third pick" chat? This is a Chad Ford mock no? Anyway, I really don't buy that crap like the GMs with lower picks start magically thinking that Bender or Dunn or whoever, is on the same level as Ingram or Simmons. GMs will develop their binkies.

Really need to keep an eye on teams out of the lottery who workout Dunn, Bender and whoever, Hield..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 11:15:57 AM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I doubt we draft Dunn and keep him, but if we do, it's because we're dealing Smart and/or Bradley for a veteran. Dunn could step right into his minutes and we'd reset the clock on years of control vs Smart.

Smart, Bradley, #23
<=>
Butler, future 1st

Would leave us with guard rotation of IT/Butler/Dunn/Rozier vs IT/Bradley/Smart/Rozier. In that rotation, Dunn could probably play 30mpg if we wanted. Hopefully Butler becomes a FA draw which would make it all worthwhile.

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Only way we pick Dunn is in a down deal with Philly, Chicago, Houston, Orlando, etc

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2016, 11:30:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Only way we pick Dunn is in a down deal with Philly, Chicago, Houston, Orlando, etc
agreed.  if Dunn is the name called at #3 draft night you can almost bank on an announcement later on that night that he's been traded and we got someone a little later on that someone picked for us and gave us another asset.

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 11:34:52 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
1. Philadelphia 76ers

Ben Simmons
LSU
Freshman
Forward

It'll be a few days until the Sixers bring in the top prospects, but unless something really changes in those workouts, Simmons is the strong front-runner to go No. 1.

Simmons is the Sixers' best shot at adding a real superstar to the roster, though he's not a perfect fit. However, Sixers coach Brett Brown will be willing to build the offense around Simmons and work to get the best effort out of Simmons.

EDITOR'S PICKS

NBA draft 2016: Complete coverage
From prospect projections to the lottery and draft night, ESPN.com has complete coverage of the 2016 NBA draft.
And as Marc Stein and I reported last week, the 76ers aren't standing still. They'd love to land at least one guard in the draft as well and are dangling Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel as trade chips.

Video: Prospect breakdown Video

2. Los Angeles Lakers

Brandon Ingram
Duke
Freshman
Forward

Ingram's ability to stretch the floor and defend multiple players on defense should fit great with L.A.'s current roster.

While his lack of bulk and strength may make the game rougher on him for now, he would give the Lakers a major talent boost.

3. Boston Celtics (via Nets)

Kris Dunn
Providence
Junior
Guard

The Celtics are looking at everything.

Trading the pick seems like the most probable route if they can fetch a young veteran in return. If they keep the pick, I think the field may be narrowing down to Dunn, Jamal Murray and a dark horse in Marquese Chriss.

2016 NBA draft
Get ready for Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and the 2016 draft, with analysis from Chad Ford and other ESPN experts.

Big Board | Combine intel
Video scouting reports
Ford: Top 100 prospect rankings
Who's in, who's out of the draft?
Murray and Chriss fit obvious needs for shooting. Dunn seems like less of a fit until you realize that he would be the best pure point guard on the roster -- right away.

Marcus Smart can play off the ball. Isaiah Thomas, an All-Star, can be dealt. Having an elite distributor, especially one that defends like Dunn does, would be very appealing.

It's too early to know for sure which way the Celtics will go on draft night, but if the draft were today, I think Dunn would get the nod.

Video: Prospect breakdown  Video

4. Phoenix Suns

Marquese Chriss
Washington
Freshman
Forward

The Suns need a stretch-4 in the worst way and there are three legitimate options in this range: Chriss, Dragan Bender and Henry Ellenson. Don't be surprised if they choose Chriss.

While Bender and Ellenson may bring a little more to the table right away, Chriss is a much better athlete and has an even higher ceiling. Can he reach it? His athleticism, rim protection and shooting range could make this a gamble worth taking.

5. Minnesota Timberwolves

Jamal Murray
Kentucky
Freshman
Guard

Murray could go as high as No. 3. He's seriously in the mix with the Celtics. If he slides past them, the Wolves will have to take a long look.

His shooting ability would fill a major need and his ability to play multiple positions is a plus. Buddy Hield, Bender and Ellenson are also real options (as are Dunn and Chriss if they are still on the board), but the Wolves would probably be making a mistake if they pass on Murray.

6. New Orleans Pelicans

Dragan Bender
Croatia
Forward/center

The Pelicans need backcourt help and it might be hard to pass on Hield if he he's still on the board.

But word on the street is that they are pretty big Bender fans and see him fitting nicely with Anthony Davis in the future -- especially with their fear of losing Ryan Anderson this summer to free agency.

7. Denver Nuggets

Jaylen Brown
Cal
Freshman
Forward

The Nuggets don't have obvious needs, which allows them to take the best player available. They could go several ways here, but I'd see this as a landing place for Brown.

The Nuggets aren't afraid to reach for upside and Brown, at least physically, has a ton of it. If he can learn to shoot then No. 7 is too low. But that's a big if right now.

8. Sacramento Kings

Buddy Hield
Oklahoma
Senior
Guard

The Kings will be ecstatic if Hield is still on the board. Both GM Vlade Divac and owner Vivek Ranadive love him.

He would be a major upgrade at the 2, giving their backcourt some much needed shooting. And he's ready to play right now -- a must for a Kings team that is playoffs-or-bust.

9. Toronto Raptors (via Knicks)

Henry Ellenson
Marquette
Freshman
Forward/center

I think the Raptors have been secretly hoping Chriss falls to them at No. 9 for a while. As he starts blowing up in workouts, that feels more and more like a dream.

Power forward is their biggest need and the choice will likely come down to Ellenson, Skal Labissiere, Deyonta Davis and Domantas Sabonis. You can make an argument for all four.

Labissiere is the best shooter and has the highest ceiling (but also the lowest floor). Ellenson gives you a lot more game, but without the same elite athleticism.

10. Milwaukee Bucks

Dejounte Murray
Washington
Freshman
Guard

The Bucks desperately need shooting, but there really isn't a 2-guard in this range that makes sense for them.

Jason Kidd is also looking for a point guard. Michael Carter-Williams just hasn't cut it for him and Murray, while similar in some ways (big guard without a jump shot), has so much NBA appeal that it's going to be hard for Milwaukee to pass on him.

Kidd needs a franchise PG badly and, if he hits his ceiling, Murray has that sort of upside.

Another dark horse for this pick? Thon Maker. GM John Hammond hit a home run by taking relative unknown Giannis Antetokounmpo. Could he swing for the fences again?

11. Orlando Magic

Skal Labissiere
Kentucky
Freshman
Forward/center

Labissiere would give the Magic something they've lacked for a while: a rim protector. He is a terrific shot-blocker and has the ability to stretch the floor.

He would be perfect next to Nikola Vucevic, but the Magic would have to be patient with him.

12. Utah Jazz

Jakob Poeltl
Utah
Sophomore
Center

The Jazz don't have any immediate needs, and whichever player lands here will struggle to find minutes on a loaded roster.

If Poeltl drops to No. 12, it will be hard for Utah to pass. He would add even more depth to the Jazz front line and allow Derrick Favors to remain parked at the 4.

13. Phoenix Suns (via Wizards)

Wade Baldwin IV
Vanderbilt
Sophomore
Guard

With both Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight on the roster, you'd think point guard wouldn't be a need. But the Suns still need backcourt depth, and Baldwin's versatility would be a major plus on a team that values positional fluidity.

14. Chicago Bulls

Deyonta Davis
Michigan State
Freshman
Forward

The Bulls could go in a number of directions. They need help pretty much everywhere.

Davis is the best athlete and shot blocker on the board. He even has an emerging perimeter game. He's raw, but in the long run he might be their best option.

15. Denver Nuggets (via Rockets)

Furkan Korkmaz
Turkey
Shooting guard

I don't see the Nuggets keeping all three of their picks. If they do, you can expect that at least one of them -- and possibly two -- will be draft-and-stash prospects.

Korkmaz is a major talent who is probably ready to play now, but could also use another year in Turkey. His shooting ability is especially attractive to teams.

16. Boston Celtics (via Mavericks)

Ante Zizic
Croatia
Center

The Celtics are also unlikely to keep all of their picks. You can expect Danny Ainge to shop these selections. If they do end up keeping them, don't be surprised to see Boston gamble on a few projects who can develop over time.

Zizic's elite motor, offensive rebounding and production in Croatia make him intriguing.

17. Memphis Grizzlies

Ivica Zubac
Bosnia
Center

At the center position, teams are split on the Zizic-Zubac question. While most lean Zizic because of toughness and rebounding ability, Zubac's offensive game is attractive to teams looking for big men who can still score in the paint.

The Grizzlies, of course, have Marc Gasol to do much of that. But as he continues to get older, having a player like Zubac to back him up is key.

18. Detroit Pistons

Denzel Valentine
Michigan State
Senior
Forward/guard

The Pistons could use another great passer. While Valentine isn't a point guard, he sees the floor really well, can shoot the 3 and brings a lot of intangibles to the table.

His ability to play right now would be a bonus for Detroit.

19. Denver Nuggets (via Blazers)

Thon Maker
Australia
Forward

This would be the third pick for the Nuggets, and will likely be a draft-and-stash pick if they keep it. But international players aren't the only draft-and-stash candidates these days.

D-League players are options as well and Maker has impressed enough in early workouts to make him a strong consideration here. With the right development, he could become a monster on the court. If the Nuggets come away from the draft with Brown, Korkmaz and Maker, they will have added three major upside talents to their roster.

20. Indiana Pacers

Domantas Sabonis
Gonzaga
Sophomore
Forward

Larry Bird wanted Paul George to play as a small-ball power forward all season -- something George himself wasn't a huge fan of doing. With Myles Turner coming along at center, drafting Sabonis could free George up to go back to the 3 full-time.

Sabonis is one of the most NBA-ready prospects in the draft. He's tough and smart and he rebounds like crazy. In terms of what Bird likes, he's a Bird-type player all the way.

21. Atlanta Hawks

Malachi Richardson
Syracuse
Freshman
Guard

Richardson would be a major upside play for the Hawks.

With a 7-foot wingspan, the ability to shoot the 3 and a quick first step that gets him to the rim, he could become a backcourt upgrade eventually for Atlanta.

22. Charlotte Hornets

Malik Beasley
Florida State
Freshman
Guard

The Hornets, like so many teams in the league, are in need of shooters. Nic Batum and Courtney Lee are both free agents.

Even if they re-sign one, Beasley would be a real steal for them. His shooting ability and athleticism would make him a perfect fit in Charlotte.

23. Boston Celtics

Cheick Diallo
Kansas
Freshman
Forward

Diallo didn't really do much at Kansas last season, but that won't stop a team like the Celtics from grabbing him -- especially after his strong play at the NBA combine.

He is tough and athletic, and he might have the best motor in the draft. He's raw. But had he stayed in school another season, he probably would have been a lottery pick next year. That makes him good value here and potentially a starter on the Maine Red Claws.

24. Philadelphia 76ers (via Heat)

Tyler Ulis
Kentucky
Sophomore
Guard

The Sixers need point guards in the worst way. Drafting Ben Simmons would give them such a playmaker -- albeit a 6-foot-10, 240-pound playmaker. But they'll still need more help.

Physically, Ulis is the exact opposite of Simmons, but he would bring the toughness and basketball IQ this young Philly team really needs. He competes and he wins.

25. Los Angeles Clippers

DeAndre Bembry
St. Joseph's
Junior
Forward

Bembry is getting looks as high as the Pistons at No. 18. His feel for the game, court vision and athleticism are all intriguing.

He isn't a great shooter, which hurts his stock, but after Simmons he might be the best passer in this draft.

26. Philadelphia 76ers (via Thunder)

Patrick McCaw
UNLV
Sophomore
Guard

The 76ers need wings, and, after McCaw's performance at the combine, I think he's got a shot at going here.

He's not only a good athlete who can defend multiple positions, but he's also a terrific passer and an emerging shooter.

27. Toronto Raptors

Guerschon Yabusele
France
Forward

Yabusele is built like a brick house. He's one of the strongest players in the draft, but he's also skilled. He moves well despite his size and has a shot that goes all the way out to the 3-point line.

The Raptors love toughness and Yabusele brings that. And given the fact that this is the Raptors' second first-round pick, a draft-and-stash type player like Yabusele makes some sense.

28. Phoenix Suns (via Cavaliers)

Juan Hernangomez
Spain
Forward

The Suns have three first-round picks this draft. They won't want to keep all three in the NBA next season.

Hernangomez is intriguing as a stretch-4 who played significant minutes in the ACB last season. The Suns can stash him for a year. He could really help them down the road. Big guys with solid athleticism and shooting ability don't come along every day.

29. San Antonio Spurs

Demetrius Jackson
Notre Dame
Junior
Guard

Tony Parker is starting to age and Patty Mills is just solid as a backup.

While Jackson would probably come off the bench at this stage of his career as well, he has all the physical tools to be a good point guard down the road and would fit well into the Spurs' culture.

30. Golden State Warriors

Damian Jones
Vanderbilt
Junior
Center

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Honestly I don't get it. Seems like Dunn is a better passing Smart. Both great on defense neither can shoot the ball, and what we need right now is shooters and bigs!! :o

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2016, 11:56:38 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919

Also, what's with all the "haha, Danny trying to inflate the value of the third pick" chat? This is a Chad Ford mock no? Anyway, I really don't buy that crap like the GMs with lower picks start magically thinking that Bender or Dunn or whoever, is on the same level as Ingram or Simmons. GMs will develop their binkies.

I absolutely believe it. Let me rephrase: They may not think the value of Bender is the same as Ingram but they will end up overvaluing him.

Even seen people at an auction or on eBay? Something becomes that much more desirable when they find out that somebody else wants it. Somebody who wants Bender/Brown/Murray/Hield/whomever will find a way to justify trading for #3.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I get Zizic looking like a legit prospect, especially as a draft and stash candidate, but he was being projected in the 20's just a few weeks ago and I'd be more than a bit disappointed to see Valentine passed over if he's there at 16.  He looks like he could give us what Turner gives us by the following season and perhaps do it more consistently

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2016, 12:10:30 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
Honestly I don't get it. Seems like Dunn is a better passing Smart. Both great on defense neither can shoot the ball, and what we need right now is shooters and bigs!! :o

I think dunn shot 35% last year and 37% from 3 this year with solid mechanics while having the ball (as opposed to a spot up shooter.) He also utilized a midrange step back game.
#JKJB

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2016, 12:31:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think dunn shot 35% last year and 37% from 3 this year with solid mechanics while having the ball (as opposed to a spot up shooter.) He also utilized a midrange step back game.
I don't think his mechanics are that good, which is why even though he shot 35 and 37 percent from 3 people still question his shooting.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19