Author Topic: Doug McDermott Comparison/Projection  (Read 15900 times)

Re: Doug McDermott Comparison/Projection
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd bet Doug McDermott posts up fewer than 25 times over the course of his rookie contract.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I must admit that I haven't really seen him play, and though I hate to say it, for his sake, the guy has bust written all over him imho. 

Well, now.  That's a compelling argument there. ???

(And how is your saying this, "for his sake"?)

Well, I've watched a few Youtube highlights and the draftexpress scouting report video, but I really didn't watch a lot of college basketball this past year, so I'm just trying to state that it's not like I'm an uber-Creighton fan who has seen all of McDermott's games.  I don't know too much about the guy, so the idea of this thread was to see who people think he can be at the next level, which brings me to my next point.  When I said 'for his sake', all I meant by that is that I want all of these guys to succeed.  I'm not rooting for anyone to fail, not that anyone else does that.  I'm just hoping that his perceived lack of athleticism won't turn him into a bust by not being able to guard anyone.  Quickness isn't everything though.  Does anyone know if he has quick hands, because that can certainly help his cause defensively.  Chris Mullin looked like he was always running in mud, but his lightning-quick reflexes helped him defensively, especially in steals, although he was still a liability for the most part; and it's you're, not your, btw.  What is this facebook, haha?

Not to be a grammar police or anything but giving that you started it, he's right in using "your" rather than "you're". He didn't put a preposition before "this" but he needed to use a possessive pronoun for the word "saying", as in "Beat LA's saying" rather than "you are saying"

Anyway back on topic, I've watched a few highlights and full games of McDermott and if he can play the 3 and off the ball plus improve his D, I think he'd be a good starter in the league. I see more of Szczerbiak than Morrison in him tbh.

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 12:01:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd bet Doug McDermott posts up fewer than 25 times over the course of his rookie contract.

How much?

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I must admit that I haven't really seen him play, and though I hate to say it, for his sake, the guy has bust written all over him imho. 

Well, now.  That's a compelling argument there. ???

(And how is your saying this, "for his sake"?)

Well, I've watched a few Youtube highlights and the draftexpress scouting report video, but I really didn't watch a lot of college basketball this past year, so I'm just trying to state that it's not like I'm an uber-Creighton fan who has seen all of McDermott's games.  I don't know too much about the guy, so the idea of this thread was to see who people think he can be at the next level, which brings me to my next point.  When I said 'for his sake', all I meant by that is that I want all of these guys to succeed.  I'm not rooting for anyone to fail, not that anyone else does that.  I'm just hoping that his perceived lack of athleticism won't turn him into a bust by not being able to guard anyone.  Quickness isn't everything though.  Does anyone know if he has quick hands, because that can certainly help his cause defensively.  Chris Mullin looked like he was always running in mud, but his lightning-quick reflexes helped him defensively, especially in steals, although he was still a liability for the most part; and it's you're, not your, btw.  What is this facebook, haha?

Not to be a grammar police or anything but giving that you started it, he's right in using "your" rather than "you're". He didn't put a preposition before "this" but he needed to use a possessive pronoun for the word "saying", as in "Beat LA's saying" rather than "you are saying"

Anyway back on topic, I've watched a few highlights and full games of McDermott and if he can play the 3 and off the ball plus improve his D, I think he'd be a good starter in the league. I see more of Szczerbiak than Morrison in him tbh.

I figured that someone would say a word or two about the grammar.  I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything, but thank you for correcting me.  Honestly.  I must admit that I did not read that sentence as you did.  English always was my worst subject.   Last thing on this front - should you have used given instead of giving in the first sentence you wrote, as in, "Not to be a grammar police or anything but given/giving that you started it, he's right in using "your" rather than "you're"."  I'm just curious.  Is it, "a grammar police," the grammar police, a member of the grammar police, or does saying "a grammar police" indicate "a grammar policeman" or something?  Just thought I'd ask.

Okay, enough of that haha.  If he turns out to be a Wally-type, then great, but he'll probably need to play with a KG-like defender in terms of quickness, like Brandon Bass, at the 4 to cover for certain matchups.  Where do you see him going in the draft?  8-10?  I wouldn't be surprised to see Sacramento take him as insurance in case Rudy Gay walks.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 04:17:52 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

How much?

Probably 2 tommy points
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not much said after Doug's workout that might mean DA likes him.

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Not much said after Doug's workout that might mean DA likes him.

I thought the same thing.  If you start hearing how well someone did, that probably means Danny hopes someone moves up to get them.  The last thing you want to do is signal you like a guy so another team knows they have to get in front of you to get them.  Did we hear anything about Olynyk?

I've been trying to think of my comparison for McDermott but can't think of any one player.  He has a super quick release and is great off screens, especially from the top of the college arc which seemed to be a shot he got a lot in their offense like Ray Allen.  But they didn't run an offense that was centered around him getting screens, they were just the screens that flowed from their motion offense.  I really don't see him having a problem getting off his shot around picks in the NBA.  If you haven't watched his games his highlights will probably show how quick his release is and how high it is.

But then he has a lot of back to the basket moves from mid range.  He has that Dirk one footer I saw him hit five or six times and never remember him missing.  That is a shot he will definitely be able to get off in the NBA.  He has a good handle which is the most overlooked skill in basketball.  He can take bigger guys off the dribble and finish with either hand and can shoot over smaller guys.  I noticed watching their games he is really good with a hand in his face.  A guy like Korver hits open threes well but McDermott can hit, at least college threes, with a man contesting.

The other thing I'd say about him is that he is just a scorer.  Creighton didn't run their offense for him.  A lot of times I'd be frustrated watching their games thinking, why won't they give the ball to Dougie.  He can score at will.  And their team was pathetic other than him.  They had their 6'7" center whose only skill was shooting threes and their PG who thought he was the second coming of Isiah Thomas and that was it. 

Personally, I think he is the best player in the draft right now.  Maybe people will pass him as they continue to develop and he doesn't.  I'm not a scout so I can't project what Wiggins will become, but I saw Baylor play Wiggins and I saw Baylor play Creighton and McDermott had one of his worst games ever and I still thought he was better than Wiggins.

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I find it funny that people are so sure that he won't be the next Adam Morrison. We all have to remember that Morrison was drafted third - there is no way McDermott goes that high. Busts happen all the time and there are many reasons for this - mental make up, team fit, ability to translate ones game to the NBA style, etc.

McDermott should have every opportunity to succeed, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will.

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
To be fair, Morrison had some personality quirks and diabetes so there were things other than basketball that made him a bust.

The comparison to Morrison is because he is a white guy who can shoot.  Where you are drafted also has no bearing on how well you will play.  Bennett was the #1 pick last year.  How did that work out?  Does that mean Randle will be a bust?  They are both black low post power forwards.  Randle won't be drafted first.

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Meh. I'd prefer Stauskas over Mcbuckets
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 08:32:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
To be fair, Morrison had some personality quirks and diabetes so there were things other than basketball that made him a bust.

The comparison to Morrison is because he is a white guy who can shoot.  Where you are drafted also has no bearing on how well you will play.  Bennett was the #1 pick last year.  How did that work out?  Does that mean Randle will be a bust?  They are both black low post power forwards.  Randle won't be drafted first.

I totally agree about Morrison and being white  - it's just that there have been a number people comparing them so I was addressing that aspect.

As for draft position, I think it totally matters. If you are drafted first, you are expected to be the best player from that draft. Sometimes players disappoint compared to their draft slot, but that doesn't eliminate the high hopes that once were. That is what I meant by Morrison going third - even though he ended up being horrible, he was considered by many to be the third best prospect from that draft. The expectations of Morrison were higher before he was drafted than the current expectations of McDermott.

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'd compare him to Chuck Person because of shooting ability and sgt release, but McDermott goes to the basket more.  If I'm sticking with the white guy theme I think he compares better to Keith Van Horn or maybe a little Dan Majerle.

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'd compare him to Chuck Person because of shooting ability and sgt release, but McDermott goes to the basket more.  If I'm sticking with the white guy theme I think he compares better to Keith Van Horn or maybe a little Dan Majerle.

Interesting, I don't think I ever would have thought of Person - TP.  There are definite similarities, but yeah, even in highlight reels, you can see that McDermott plays much closer to the basket.  I remember watching the espn classic replay of game 5 in 1991, and Mike Fratello said something like, "If there's one flaw or complaint with his (Person's) game, it's that a guy this big and this strong doesn't attempt more free throws."  Any idea as to why he never incorporated that into his game?

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:16 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
I don't remember Person having any other parts to his game other than a jump shot, but nice blast from the past.  Keith Van Horn, interesting.  I don't remember seeing him play much in Utah and NJ.

Its tough to come up with really good shooters who were considered unathletic although they actually were, rebounded well, 6-8 to 6-10, who played very little defense.  Mike Miller maybe?  Younger pre injuries Mike Miller had some more to his game.

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 10:21:53 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
Person has a similar release but he definitely stopped driving to the basket and fell in love with the 3...sadly it happens to a lot of guys.  Look at JR Smith and how he's evolved into more of a tall Eddie House.

McDermott does need to work on his foot work though because he's going to get alot of rookie whistles for traveling.  It's almost like he knows a first step is a major flaw in his game and he tries to move alot fast when he gets the ball.  He appears to almost shuffle his feet every time. 

Man if he could develop a first step he'd be a poor mans Paul Pierce but first steps are about instincts and misdirection along with explosiveness, he'll become more crafty as he plays.