Author Topic: New Body comparison for Yabu, Elton Brand  (Read 1645 times)

New Body comparison for Yabu, Elton Brand
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:10:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Obviously Brand was worlds better as a player, but I just saw the latest Yabu highlights and he looks like a quicker Elton Brand.

https://youtu.be/_6bt8N4KpcE

Re: New Body comparison for Yabu, Elton Brand
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Seems to exclusively depend on the 3 ball.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Just as far as body type and Athleticism though, good comp?

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Truck Robinson?

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Apparently Elton Brand's height weight was exactly what Yab's is. I think that could be the problem.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
When Sully came out in the draft he was one inch taller and 8 pounds heavier.

Semi O is maybe 2 inches shorter and 20lbs lighter. 

I don't think Yab has the athleticism to hold that much weight.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
More like Anthony Bennett meets a young Michael Sweetney, lol. Ugh.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Obviously Brand was worlds better as a player, but I just saw the latest Yabu highlights and he looks like a quicker Elton Brand.

As much as anything, you're reminding us how much the game has changed. But one thing, at least, has not changed: Achilles' tendon tears ruin careers.

Poor Elton Brand had about the worst injury you can get as a professional basketball player. Hayward's injury was a lot more gruesome, but the prognosis is good. So far medical science still doesn't know how to restore a guy's game from an Achilles' rupture. Brand went from top twenty to journeyman (Hollinger argued that he should have been MVP in 2006) - and played out his career at that level.

Comps are a tricky business, and if you try to bring stats into any Yabusele comp you can't do it with any confidence; the sample size is way too small. If the minuscule numbers mean anything, Yabu and Brand have a talent for offensive rebounding.

Brand was an inch taller but 15 pounds heavier. That's a significant gap.

Different builds, but both had great footwork and hands. In another era, Guerschon would have developed a game more like Brand's; Elton's staples were the short midrange and post-ups up and down the paint - and no threes except at the end of the clock.

Yabusele is not exclusively a 3-pt shooter, on the other hand, and in the video you provided - and other sub-NBA vids for him - you can see his handles. Looks like he's got plenty of potential to take his man off the dribble.

The game has changed, especially for bigs. With his footwork, Yabusele's game 20 years ago would likely have looked more like Brand's.

There was a Yabu thread a while ago that had a discussion about comps - moiso made an insightful one with Yabu and Anthony Mason, who has a more similar build than Brand (and 6'7", 250).

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 01:29:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

As much as anything, you're reminding us how much the game has changed. But one thing, at least, has not changed: Achilles' tendon tears ruin careers.

Poor Elton Brand had about the worst injury you can get as a professional basketball player. Hayward's injury was a lot more gruesome, but the prognosis is good. So far medical science still doesn't know how to restore a guy's game from an Achilles' rupture. Brand went from top twenty to journeyman (Hollinger argued that he should have been MVP in 2006) - and played out his career at that level.

Comps are a tricky business, and if you try to bring stats into any Yabusele comp you can't do it with any confidence; the sample size is way too small. If the minuscule numbers mean anything, Yabu and Brand have a talent for offensive rebounding.

Different builds, but both had great footwork and hands. In another era, Guerschon would have developed a game more like Brand's; Elton's staples were the short midrange and post-ups up and down the paint - and no threes except at the end of the clock.

Yabusele is not exclusively a 3-pt shooter, on the other hand, and in the video you provided - and other sub-NBA vids for him - you can see his handles. Looks like he's got plenty of potential to take his man off the dribble.

The game has changed, especially for bigs. With his footwork, Yabusele's game 20 years ago would likely have looked more like Brand's.

There was a Yabu thread a while ago that had a discussion about comps - moiso made an insightful one with Yabu and Anthony Mason, who has a more similar build than Brand (and 6'7", 250).

Brands biggest advantage was actually his Wingspan. 7'5" Just massive. Yabu is 7'2" Yabu is a few meals from being 270 Pounds. I think Yabu is more massive and more muscular.

Yabu needs more Post game like Brand for sure.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 01:34:32 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Brands biggest advantage was actually his Wingspan. 7'5" Just massive. Yabu is 7'2" Yabu is a few meals from being 270 Pounds. I think Yabu is more massive and more muscular.

Yabu needs more Post game like Brand for sure.

Brand was one of the top shot-blockers of his time. Not a probable future for Yabusele.

As for post-ups... the game has changed. Yabu developing his post game can’t hurt, but what would really make him difficult to match up with would be a drive and kick game. At 6’7” he won’t be shooting over a lot of bigs on the block; but working on his handles and especially his playmaking could make him a matchup nightmare; it looks like his range shooting is already solid, and he has the hands and feet to get there.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:22:25 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 01:42:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
More like Anthony Bennett meets a young Michael Sweetney, lol. Ugh.
Anthony Bennett is listed about 15 pounds lighter and now I'm scared.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't really see it.  Elton Brand had incredibly long arms (7'5.5'' wingspan).  This allowed him to play like a much taller player.  Yabu's wingspan is half a foot shorter.

Yabu is built like a defensive end.  He has good feet but I don't think he has the lateral quickness or the explosion to play as an athletic forward in the NBA, and he doesn't have the size or elite touch required to play as a below the rim forward in the NBA.  As such he seems like he's limited to being a small-ball stretch 5.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 03:20:29 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Yabu is built like a defensive end.

Good comparison.

He has good feet but I don't think he has the lateral quickness or the explosion to play as an athletic forward in the NBA, and he doesn't have the size or elite touch required to play as a below the rim forward in the NBA.

Not sure I follow all of this, but I think you’ve got a point about his laterals and explosion.

As such he seems like he's limited to being a small-ball stretch 5.

He’s gotten a fair percentage of his minutes at “4”, or whatever it is we’re calling it nowadays.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yabu is built like a defensive end.

Good comparison.

He has good feet but I don't think he has the lateral quickness or the explosion to play as an athletic forward in the NBA, and he doesn't have the size or elite touch required to play as a below the rim forward in the NBA.

Not sure I follow all of this, but I think you’ve got a point about his laterals and explosion.

As such he seems like he's limited to being a small-ball stretch 5.

He’s gotten a fair percentage of his minutes at “4”, or whatever it is we’re calling it nowadays.

Right, he's been played at the 4, but I wouldn't say he's been "good."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain