Author Topic: Horford’s Leadership Overrated  (Read 5452 times)

Re: Horford’s leadership overrated
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Welcome Eddiebird!!

I see what you’re saying—Horford’s lead-by-example mentality could only do so much. However, I can remember countless times during interviews when the young guys heaped a ton of praise upon Al.

Remember Al’s game winner against Portland when the entire team mobbed him at center court? Sure, a guy like Al isn’t going to turn the entire ship around, but if you’re trying to build a high-character team, a guy like Al is indispensable.

All this is to say, I really do think Al was a great leader. I just hope someone else (Hayward?) fills his shoes next year.

there goes that high character term again, are  Cs going for high character or for championship. Name the last high character team to win the NBA chip.
San Antonio had a pretty decent run as a high character team.

I typed that and of course I thought about San Antonio.... KL situation is a stain on the organization. Didnt Rodman play for the spurs? Did Tony Parker sleep with a team mates girl? I am just going by what I read here? Less on character, get some ballerz that want to win.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Welcome Eddiebird!!

I see what you’re saying—Horford’s lead-by-example mentality could only do so much. However, I can remember countless times during interviews when the young guys heaped a ton of praise upon Al.

Remember Al’s game winner against Portland when the entire team mobbed him at center court? Sure, a guy like Al isn’t going to turn the entire ship around, but if you’re trying to build a high-character team, a guy like Al is indispensable.

All this is to say, I really do think Al was a great leader. I just hope someone else (Hayward?) fills his shoes next year.

there goes that high character term again, are  Cs going for high character or for championship. Name the last high character team to win the NBA chip.

Raptors

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 09:18:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Welcome Eddiebird!!

Raptors

Raptors were led by Kawhi Leonard...ask his last team what they think about his 'high character'. Truth is you really do not know these players .... what does 'high character' mean anyway.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 09:40:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Al is a tremendous leader, one that has been praised by his team mates since college. He sets a tremendous example and teaches those younger, that are willing to learn, how to be professional and how to comport oneself. Just a tremendous locker room guy.

But one guy can only do so much when there is so much dissent  and animosity in the locker room. And one guy can't ultimately force these guys to get along together and not allow their problems to affect the team and its chemistry.

There was a lack of leadership coming from Stevens, his staff and Kyrie( the team's self appointed supposed leader) that Horford's leadership couldn't overcome. The team, as bad as it was, still won 49 games and went to the second round of the playoffs. Take Horford out and put another problem child or a guy that is horrible at being a leader, like Carmelo Anthony or Bobby Portis and who much worse is that team? Maybe a whole lot worse. Maybe Horford's leadership should be praised for holding the team together to be as good as it was?

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 09:53:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It is overrated by evidence that Irving said they could use a vet voice in the locker room. When a lot of people asked, "Horford isn't a vet voice?". People around the team stuck up for Horford saying he is a lead by example professional and not that kind of leader.

It's not hard being a professional you just keep to yourself, be positive and do what is expected.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I always liked Hofford.  Always considered him a “poor-man” Tim Duncan.

Putting a value on Hofford is hard. Not as valuable for every team.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:18:04 PM by coco »

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
It is overrated by evidence that Irving said they could use a vet voice in the locker room. When a lot of people asked, "Horford isn't a vet voice?". People around the team stuck up for Horford saying he is a lead by example professional and not that kind of leader.

It's not hard being a professional you just keep to yourself, be positive and do what is expected.

I take that more as Kyrie taking a shot or dismissing Horford.

I could see Kyrie thinking their's nothing to learn from Horford because he doesn't have a ring and isn't considered a superstar.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Welcome Eddiebird!!

Raptors

Raptors were led by Kawhi Leonard...ask his last team what they think about his 'high character'. Truth is you really do not know these players .... what does 'high character' mean anyway.

Both sides were at fault. Spurs didn't handle Kawhi's health situation very well. Never mind the off-court character. What matters is their character on the court when they finally wear their jersey on the court. Jordan isn't exactly the nicest person, even to his teammates but he pushed them to work hard and mind their own business outside it.

Tony Parker isn't example of good character either. But on the court, he provides leadership by example. What happened outside it is another topic.

Jail Blazers seems to mesh well on the court despite their off-court issues because they had veteran leaders like Sabonis and Pippen on the team. You do your job well, your off-court issues will not matter much. That Blazers team completely crumbled when both left the team.

Regardless of what Kawhi will do in the free agency, he did his job within his contract. Kyrie and Lebron are different because they demoralize everyone else in the locker room, including the coach, and the GMs. Didn't the media and some members here praise the King because of his off-court character, donating schools or speaking up about social issues?

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 06:00:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I could see Kyrie thinking their's nothing to learn from Horford because he doesn't have a ring and isn't considered a superstar.
My problem is how the people around the team responded. Like we all just thought it slipped Irving's mind but that wasn't it. It was Horford isn't that type of leader, was the answer. To me that's showing he lacks the ability to lead just as much as Irving does.

Being the leader is picking guys up, inspiring them, focusing them, getting guys to buy in, and getting everyone working together for a goal. Being a guy people aspire to or fear is sometimes a factor too. Regardless a strong leader was needed that the team didn't have last year so not sure any of the players qualify as good leaders. Maybe this all means BS needs to be more involved.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:02:09 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 07:07:22 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

My problem is how the people around the team responded. Like we all just thought it slipped Irving's mind but that wasn't it. It was Horford isn't that type of leader, was the answer. To me that's showing he lacks the ability to lead just as much as Irving does.

Being the leader is picking guys up, inspiring them, focusing them, getting guys to buy in, and getting everyone working together for a goal. Being a guy people aspire to or fear is sometimes a factor too. Regardless a strong leader was needed that the team didn't have last year so not sure any of the players qualify as good leaders. Maybe this all means BS needs to be more involved.
I dunno if I trust Irving.  Horford led them to the ECF, but Irving didn't.  We will miss Horford's leadership.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 07:32:05 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Locker room blew up with al there so what’s that tell you?

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 07:46:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Pretty much nothing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 08:30:12 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Kyrie is the only guy willing to call out his big-head teamamtes, Jaylen Brown for example, while AL can do nothing about it

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 09:10:36 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Last years problems were an organizational failure.

Horford can't challenge a guy like Kyrie if the coach and management won't back him up. They clearly allowed him to do what he wanted because they were terrified he would leave. Arguing with the coach on the sideline, ignoring the play-calls, taking shots at teammates through the media, and being an over-all jerk with impunity.

It was the Celtics organization that made it "Kyrie's Team" and they paid the price.

This!!!

I'll second that.  The organization was hesitant to challenge Irving throughout the course of the season.  Instead, they routinely gave Irving the benefit of the doubt with their public comments.  Perhaps Horford didn't want to shake things up without clear support from the coaching staff.

There's nothing wrong with Horford's style of leadership.  If anything, he is very reminiscent of Tim Duncan.  I never heard any stories about Duncan calling out a young Tony Parker.  Popovich provided the discipline and structure, while Duncan allowed himself to be treated just like everyone else.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Pretty much nothing.

I think leadership is ovverated in both directions. When things go really well leaders get too much credit, when they go poorly leaders get too much blame. These are grown men we are talking about, a person can only do so much to keep them in line.