Author Topic: How about Thomas Bryant?  (Read 5767 times)

Re: How about Thomas Bryant?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yes. I read this salary stuff about Bryant elsewhere and thought it was a perfect opportunity for Boston.

Of course, there will be other teams making offers, but Boston would be a perfect situation for him.

I do wonder why he was a low draft pick and then waived by the Lakers. The Lakers are a mess, but waiving him seems pretty drastic. Also, despite his emergence Washington was pretty awful last season.

The Lakers traded Ivica Zubac at Feb 7th for two months of Mike Muscala  ::), after averaging 20/10 (per 36) over December/January!

I wouldn't take Lakers' talent evaluation seriously. They do drastic things even when they don't know it. Apparently they don't need to care about avoiding making mistakes like other franchises.

And they're somehow title contenders now, with the potential to land a third max money player.

Still doesn’t mask the fact that they’re incompetent.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Bryant is the obvious choice

Fits all requirements.

Leaves 22ish million available for another piece as well

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 11:45:40 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Wasn't there the Gilbert Arenas rule or something like that to deal with players coming off their rookie deals who are restricted free agents but their teams do not own full bird rights? Something that allowed them to keep their young star (like when GSW lost Arenas to Washington). So situations like this wouldn't occur.

Has that rule gone in the new CBA?

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Wasn't there the Gilbert Arenas rule or something like that to deal with players coming off their rookie deals who are restricted free agents but their teams do not own full bird rights? Something that allowed them to keep their young star (like when GSW lost Arenas to Washington). So situations like this wouldn't occur.

The rule is still there.

And its enacted. That is why Washington can only match up to 9mill

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wizards can go over 10 million if they use their own cap and can still offer a fifth year. Think they are planning to make some roster moves to get done.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

TP, for coming up with this rule (Tyler Johnson's weird contract is a result of this rule). Why is there always some obscure rule in the Celtics way?

This Gilbert Arenas provision rule changes everything and will enable the Wizards to match any normal offer for Bryant.

Links: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/after-breakout-season-thomas-bryant-wants-stay-wizards-why-would-i-want-leave
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-gilbert-arenas-provision.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would need to go far to put the Wizards to the test.

For example: Offer Thomas Bryant, 9,25 - 9,71 - 22,03 - 23,02 (total 64 million, counts as 16 million in cap space)

I think the Wizards would still match that, and that's already a huge offer.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 12:49:50 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
I saw Bryant playing for Washington maybe one or two times and don't really remember anything.

But he was a ghastly defender with Indiana. Distracted, soft - weak lower body strength. Has he improved? His numbers don't show anything special, but I don't believe in numbers to measure defense.

The shot-selection and improvement on 3s is nice to see, but it's still only 33 made 3s in a season.

His defensive rebounding numbers are fine, but the Wizards were the 2nd worst defensive rebounding team in the league - not a lot of competition from his own teammates (Howard injured, Portis only arrived midseason). His contested rebounding % was 43.1%, which, again, is fine but far from spectacular - a bit above Al Horford but well below Aaron Baynes, for example.

And he isn't a passer.

While I understand the allure of energy bigs with highly efficient scoring, I'm wary of offering this kind of contract (or anything even close to the MLE, even if below it) to a big who is:

* a mediocre defender (bit speculative on my part).
* a mediocre passer.
* a decent but not elite rebounder.
* a good but not elite athlete.
* a developing but far from established 3 point shooter.
* unable to create shots and unlikely to ever be.

It remains the same. But there's still a loophole that allows a team to pry away a player from a capped team by offering a salary larger than the non-taxpayer MLE for 4 years (and then fit the average annual salary under their available cap  - that's why Boston would need to use cap-space to make the Wizards wouldn't match).

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Based on my limited knowledge of the cap the most Wizards can muster is 15 million per. Sure there is a team out there that can go over that but will the C's?

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 01:14:12 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I always find it interesting that I watch all the games and than people on here bring up guys I never heard of!

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I always find it interesting that I watch all the games and than people on here bring up guys I never heard of!
To be honest fantasy basketball gets me to watch and focus on every single player that puts up any single good stat over 3 games. I try to see if they can do more and how many minutes they are getting. My 20 team league has no limits on transactions so people move guys in and out quickly.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

D@mn it, the Arenas provision! :-[ TP for pointing this out.

So our best bet would be to offer Bryant the equivalent of the full Non-Taxpayer MLE and then max him out for years 3-4. As much as I like Bryant's game, I don't think it would be worth it anymore.

$9,246,000
$9,708,300
$29,975,000
$31,323,875

Oh well, I guess we have to explore other options after all.

Wizards can go over 10 million if they use their own cap and can still offer a fifth year. Think they are planning to make some roster moves to get done.
I believe they can't, unless they stretch Mahinmi. Even if they were willing to renounce all their cap holds and waive Jonathon Simmons (1 mil guaranteed), they 'd be left with around 8 mil in cap space.

1. Wall $38,150,000
2. Beal $27,093,018
3. Mahinmi $16,000,000
4. Howard $5,603,850
5. Hachimura $4,463,400
6. Troy Brown $3,223,680
7. rookie min $897,158
8. rookie min $897,158
9. rookie min $897,158
10. rookie min $897,158
11. rookie min $897,158
12. rookie min $897,158
Jonathon Simmons $1,000,000 guaranteed

(I got the numbers from hoopshype. According to Shamsports, the numbers are a bit different)

Total: $100,916,896

which would leave them with $8,083,104 if they wanted to sign Bryant via cap space.

Unfortunately, none of these matters anymore cause they can use the Arenas provision instead.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:46:59 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 03:25:11 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
To be honest fantasy basketball gets me to watch and focus on every single player that puts up any single good stat over 3 games. I try to see if they can do more and how many minutes they are getting. My 20 team league has no limits on transactions so people move guys in and out quickly.

I'm curious about the guy now, prefer to see him play vs. just looking at stats but it would be nice to find an up and coming player.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2019, 04:38:47 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

They cannot offer more than the mle regardless of capspace

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 04:41:42 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
I saw Bryant playing for Washington maybe one or two times and don't really remember anything.

But he was a ghastly defender with Indiana. Distracted, soft - weak lower body strength. Has he improved? His numbers don't show anything special, but I don't believe in numbers to measure defense.

The shot-selection and improvement on 3s is nice to see, but it's still only 33 made 3s in a season.

His defensive rebounding numbers are fine, but the Wizards were the 2nd worst defensive rebounding team in the league - not a lot of competition from his own teammates (Howard injured, Portis only arrived midseason). His contested rebounding % was 43.1%, which, again, is fine but far from spectacular - a bit above Al Horford but well below Aaron Baynes, for example.

And he isn't a passer.

While I understand the allure of energy bigs with highly efficient scoring, I'm wary of offering this kind of contract (or anything even close to the MLE, even if below it) to a big who is:

* a mediocre defender (bit speculative on my part).
* a mediocre passer.
* a decent but not elite rebounder.
* a good but not elite athlete.
* a developing but far from established 3 point shooter.
* unable to create shots and unlikely to ever be.

It remains the same. But there's still a loophole that allows a team to pry away a player from a capped team by offering a salary larger than the non-taxpayer MLE for 4 years (and then fit the average annual salary under their available cap  - that's why Boston would need to use cap-space to make the Wizards wouldn't match).

Look at his numbers in over 22 mins a game as well as his number once he became a starter.

They all improved and have been on a steady upward climb.

I dont think Bryant will come in and be the number 1, but he easily has the potential to be the number 3 and really exploit other teams when they croud tatum and brown

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 06:10:42 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

They cannot offer more than the mle regardless of capspace
Well technically they can by making him unrestricted but then we have the potential for a Boozer situation.