Author Topic: Tatum as the starting PF  (Read 6476 times)

Re: Tatum as the starting PF
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 10:13:34 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Tatum would get eaten alive as a 4.

I see the logic, but I think in the 2019-20 season, probably not. Not a lot of Karl Malones out there any longer.

True, but it doesn't take a Malone type to wreak havoc against a skinny dude like Tatum. Guys like Siakam, Sabonis, Giannis, Mirotic, Griffin, Portis, and Isaac would, I think, give Tatum lots of problems.

That said, a lot of the players mentioned above don’t start, and including Giannis isn’t fair because he gives literally everyone problems.  Starting Tatum at PF isn’t the same thing as having him play all his minutes there.

You have to at the opposing power forward on the offensive end. Barring Giannis and Draymond is there a power forward that can guard Tatum at the other end?

Yes, I made that point elsewhere.  Siakam probably can, but if the opposing PF doesn’t have as high usage for his team as Tatum does for the Celtics, the other team will have to go away from their regular offense to take advantage of it, and might not successfully do so.  This might cause them to sub out the PF for a wing, or to just give up points.

And again, there’s a difference between Tatum starting as the nominal PF and his playing most of the Celtics minutes, or even his own minutes, at the position.  If the Celtics get to be as truly positionless with their starting lineup as they could be this season (right now the starters would appear to be Smart, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum) the burden of guarding a high-usage, interior-oriented PF can be shared amongst the group, preserving everyone’s stamina and fouls.