Author Topic: Washington Post Sports projections for the upcoming season  (Read 744 times)

Washington Post Sports projections for the upcoming season
« on: October 16, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I have mixed emotions about how the Post (NBA writer Tim Bontemps) views the Celtics this upcoming season.  On the good side he projects the Celtics as winning the East but losing to GS in six.  However, he does not respect the Celtics players individually, yet he ranks 7 of the players in his top 100 for the upcoming season - (washingtonpost.com/sports). He definitely doesn't show enough love for KI:

Horford - 19
Irving - 24
Tatum - 35
Brown - 41
Hayward - 43
Smart - 62
Morris - 98

The only Celtics player he projects winning individual honors is Smart, winning the 6th man award.  Even more crazy, he projects Popovich as coach of the year ahead of Budenholzer then Stevens.

No respect!

I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

Re: Washington Post Sports projections for the upcoming season
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Honestly, I think making the Finals, winning two Finals games, and having Marcus as 6th Man of the Year is pretty respectful.

Five players in the top-43 isn't bad, either.

The only guy he seems abnormally down on is Hayward, but he's coming back from an extreme injury.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:33:38 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Honestly, I think making the Finals, winning two Finals games, and having Marcus as 6th Man of the Year is pretty respectful.

My no respect comment was associated with Irving's low rank and Stevens.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The only guy he seems abnormally down on is Hayward, but he's coming back from an extreme injury.
I think he's also way down on Rozier as well.  I'd put him as high or higher than Morris.

also, Tatum and Brown seem a little high at this point.  great prospects but I think most people could come up with 40-50 players that have proven themselves better players through last season.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 11:51:55 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Well he has MM in his top 100. That should make him happy lol

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I think he's also way down on Rozier as well.  I'd put him as high or higher than Morris.

also, Tatum and Brown seem a little high at this point.  great prospects but I think most people could come up with 40-50 players that have proven themselves better players through last season.

I disagree. ESPN, SI and now the Washington Post all have both Brown and Tatum in top 47. Some as high as the early thirties. And these rankings arent s much about who has been good as who will be good, and given these guys are 20 and 21 right now I think most people expect further improvement this coming season, and they played like borderline all stars in the playoffs last year.

As for Kyrie and Hayward its simple. Injuries. At some point if Kyrie only consistently plays 80% of a season its hard to rank him all that much higher. And Hayward may be rusty the first half the seaosn. It wouldn't shock me if both Brown and Tatum start off better than him. So those rankings seem conservative sure, but not wrong.

And on Stevens, coach of the year usually goes to somebody who exceeds expectations. Its gonna be hard to win it when everybody expects you to win 60+. Pop is better set up to dominate the narrative if the Spurs are good.