Author Topic: reconsider a rule?  (Read 5855 times)

reconsider a rule?
« on: June 03, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
just wondering what the chances are of re-instating the political discussions again.  i just think with this historic time in our country's presidential election, its a shame we can discuss it.  im ok with not having the political discussions, as this is a sports community, but i think this election season is so special, it would be a shame not to discuss it.

Re: reconsider a rule?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's being actively discussed.  We'll make a final decision on it sometime in the off-season. 

One idea we're looking into is an "opt out" system, where those who don't want to participate in the political discussions wouldn't have them visible to them.

Any suggestions / thoughts would be appreciated.  The biggest concern, obviously, is that political discussions will inevitably lead to in-fighting.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Dark Lord,

You just want to try to talk everyone into electing a supreme chancellor.  ;)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Dark Lord,

You just want to try to talk everyone into electing a supreme chancellor.  ;)

shhh....ur giving away my evil plot ;)

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
It's being actively discussed.  We'll make a final decision on it sometime in the off-season. 

One idea we're looking into is an "opt out" system, where those who don't want to participate in the political discussions wouldn't have them visible to them.

Any suggestions / thoughts would be appreciated.  The biggest concern, obviously, is that political discussions will inevitably lead to in-fighting.

i think thats a good idea.  i also think a no-tolerance rule could be applied for those posters who engage in fighting or inappropriate/disrespectful discussion.  every1 knows the rules and if they cant follow, thats on them.  if i get overly frustrated, i avoid a thread bc i dont want to engage in anything that would jepordize my participation on the blog.  others should do the same.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I agree that as long as politics remain off topic they should be acceptable to discuss in that format along with staying in bounds with how this site is run (as it is run quite well) - I don't think much productive talk will occur (but hey isn't that the point of message boards!), but it would be interesting to hear others opinions. I'll take a "I won't be confrontational" oath readily
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree that as long as politics remain off topic they should be acceptable to discuss in that format along with staying in bounds with how this site is run (as it is run quite well) - I don't think much productive talk will occur (but hey isn't that the point of message boards!), but it would be interesting to hear others opinions. I'll take a "I won't be confrontational" oath readily

I tend to think there would be plenty of productive talk.  There are a lot of incredibly intelligent and well informed (unlike myself) people in this community.  The key is always being able to sort out the intelligent conversation from unnecessary attacks that lead to divisions within the community.  We will see...

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
talkin tics always sparks drama~

i wish al sharpton was runnin~

*sippin on gin n juice~laid back*

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
If I remember correctly, the reason why politcal threads were banned was because they were such a handful to moderate. A no-tolerance policy would help that problem in a big way, in my opinion.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:43:47 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Please remember to spare me off any political discussions and non-sport issues. Ive had my share of aggravations and I dont need any more of them. Ill appreciate it inmensly(sic).
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
I can see Shakster being booted again due to heated political discussions that will annoy someone and I dont want to become aware of it. lolol
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine