Author Topic: All Time Great Fantasy Draft  (Read 43600 times)

Re: All Time Great Fantasy Draft
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2019, 03:04:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So what is our start day.

30 mins between picks. Snake format. Team names draft a reverse order of the main draft. Period of 2 days between draft lottery and draft for pre draft trading?

I think one day between lottery and draft. Any rules on who we can draft?  Can we literally draft anyone who has ever played?

Anyone ever.
Yep, though I do think you need to pick the season you want to use.  Adds a fair amount to actual team construction if you do that.
Yeah, I definitely like the idea of choosing a specific season.

I don’t, so basically we are drafting the best one season player?  I like looking at their entire career and choosing the best player in my opinion.
Yeah, but in terms of the actual competitive aspect (like a playoff bracket type thing) I think it's hard to do that when you're looking at someone's whole career. Especially with guys who played forever, like MJ and Kareem.
Plus someone like McHale is a lot more valuable since he was both an excellent starter and an excellent 6th man.  Depending on how your team shakes out, you might want 86-87 if you need a starting PF or 84-85 if you want a guy that was on the bench more. 

It also makes it far more interesting and gives someone who was incredible for a season or two, like say Brandon Roy, a real chance to be drafted, or a modern player like Giannis or Kawhi, or even someone like Ben Wallace whose career may not measure up, but who was an absolute monster for a few seasons.

Then of course there is the actual idea that you can simulate the games if you have actual seasons, something you can't do if you just pick a career.

I just like the complexity and the options that picking an actual season does.
Agreed. Btw can we pick a player who was drafted by a team ahead of us in a different season? Like if the team selects 96 Jordan we go with 97 Jordan.
I think that would lead to a ridiculous amount of confusion. I think it should be you draft the player and specify the season, but nobody else can draft the player.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2019, 04:00:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

30 mins between picks. Snake format. Team names draft a reverse order of the main draft. Period of 2 days between draft lottery and draft for pre draft trading?

I think one day between lottery and draft. Any rules on who we can draft?  Can we literally draft anyone who has ever played?

Anyone ever.
Yep, though I do think you need to pick the season you want to use.  Adds a fair amount to actual team construction if you do that.

I don’t, so basically we are drafting the best one season player?  I like looking at their entire career and choosing the best player in my opinion.
Yeah, but in terms of the actual competitive aspect (like a playoff bracket type thing) I think it's hard to do that when you're looking at someone's whole career. Especially with guys who played forever, like MJ and Kareem.
Plus someone like McHale is a lot more valuable since he was both an excellent starter and an excellent 6th man.  Depending on how your team shakes out, you might want 86-87 if you need a starting PF or 84-85 if you want a guy that was on the bench more. 

It also makes it far more interesting and gives someone who was incredible for a season or two, like say Brandon Roy, a real chance to be drafted, or a modern player like Giannis or Kawhi, or even someone like Ben Wallace whose career may not measure up, but who was an absolute monster for a few seasons.

Then of course there is the actual idea that you can simulate the games if you have actual seasons, something you can't do if you just pick a career.

Agreed. Btw can we pick a player who was drafted by a team ahead of us in a different season? Like if the team selects 96 Jordan we go with 97 Jordan.
I think that would lead to a ridiculous amount of confusion. I think it should be you draft the player and specify the season, but nobody else can draft the player.
Ah okay.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2019, 05:57:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Anyone ever.

Yes correct and you don't have to pick the season when you draft the player, only when you present the final team as you might want a different season of the player as the draft progresses.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2019, 09:11:33 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I like picking the year, so when I draft Michael Jordan 1st overall I can use is 88-89 season when he ran the Point guard position alot (recording massive triple doubles) on way to a season average of 33,8,8, 3 steals

7 player of the weeks,
3 player of the months
sporting news mvp
All defensive 1st
all nba 1st
2nd in MVP voting (was robbed)

« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2019, 09:20:52 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I like picking the year, so when I draft Michael Jordan 1st overall I can use is 88-89 season when he ran the Point guard position alot (recording massive triple doubles) on way to a season average of 33,8,8, 3 steals

7 player of the weeks,
3 player of the months
sporting news mvp
All defensive 1st
all nba 1st
2nd in MVP voting (was robbed)
Sure or if you end up with Stockton and Pippen, you might rather have a year in the 90's.  That is why you can hold off on selecting the year until the end of the draft.  You just never know what skill sets you may want until you see your full team.

« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
When’s the draft lottery?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2019, 09:39:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Are ABA years eligible?

Like picking a Dr J season before he came to the NBA.

« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2019, 09:47:37 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Are ABA years eligible?

I think both ABA and NBA as some of the greatest of all time have competed across both.

« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Are ABA years eligible?

I'd rather just stick to the NBA.  I don't want other leagues mucking things up (I mean if you do the ABA why not any other league in the world also).

« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Are ABA years eligible?

I'd rather just stick to the NBA.  I don't want other leagues mucking things up (I mean if you do the ABA why not any other league in the world also).

Because the aba was absorbed by the nba.

« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Is something happening today?

Setting the draft order?

« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2019, 03:46:51 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Lets get this rolling
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2019, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If something is going to happen, actual rules and times need to be established. Clearly different people have different ideas about how this should go down but until rules and times are done, nothing is going to happen.

I will say, I would prefer short time windows to make your pick. If there are only 12 teams, a half hour to 45 minute window to make picks means the commissioner needs to be available 6-8 hours per day to do this right. There is no way I am making myself available 6-8 hours per day to commish this game. 2-3 hours, fine, but not 6.

« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2019, 04:34:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would think the easiest thing to do would be to copy the rules from a previous historical draft.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=47868.0

And similar time schedule for picks (every 10 minutes) starting at either 1pm or 7pm - whatever start time was decided.

Draft order = decided today = picked out of a hat would be fine.
Round 1 tomorrow
Round 2 Wed
Round 3 Thurs
Round 4 Fri

Then

Rounds 5 and 6 Mon
7 and 8 Tues
9 and 10 Wed

« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Those rules look good to me.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby