Author Topic: 2016 Red Sox Playoffs  (Read 18785 times)

Re: 2016 Red Sox Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 01:10:54 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Loved this moment, one of the few from the series.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 01:40:59 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The hottest teams going in win it. Redsox stumbled in of course this is the result. Baseball is so much about momentum.

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Fire Farrell

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Anyone catch catch the cubs last night? 
Yup

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 09:26:16 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Plenty of room left on the Cubs bandwagon, Redz.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Fire Farrell
Nah, Dombrowski said that he'll be back and that "in-game management is not as important". I mean, fabulous in-game management only cost us one of our best pitchers for half a season. And perhaps a handful of games (hence HCA). No biggie. This franchise is a train wreck.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, it was really disappointing to see the Giants blow that game.  But their fatal flaw all season was their bullpen.

At least the Giants won a couple games in the playoffs.  They had one glaring flaw but were competitive otherwise.

The Sox simply got crushed.  They didn't belong.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 01:26:04 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Totally lame showing by the Sox in that series. Horrible end to Ortiz's career. I guess the experience (and the disappointment) will help the young guys in the long run, but it's too bad they mostly couldn't come through in this series. Hopefully the Sox can get a big bopper like Encarnacion to replace Ortiz, but even then they'd still need better production from 3B and LF (though Benintendi seems like he'll fare well). C could use more offense too, but I guess that would be a bonus.

Price says he'll make Sox fans fall in love with him—good luck with that, David. A good place to start would be not allowing one or two homers every start.

The rotation looks like it'll suffice for the regular season, but I don't think it'll cut it in the postseason (if they make it that far). Price could go 30-0 with a 0.00 ERA next season and it won't matter unless he finally shows up for the playoffs. Ditto for Porcello. E-Rod was inconsistent this season, and we all know how bad Buchholz can be (and usually is). Pomeranz apparently can't hack the number of innings required of a starter, which I guess is okay if he can be a reliable reliever. Then again, the Sox gave up a great starting prospect for him, so maybe that's a loss. Wright did just about everything right this season—but here's to hoping Farrell learned his lesson about using pitchers as pinch runners.

Edit: I hate the Cubs. They have some former Sox I like, but I can't stand trendy, and everyone's in love with the Cubs right now, so I hope they crumble like a sandcastle at high tide.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 01:40:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Edit: I hate the Cubs. They have some former Sox I like, but I can't stand trendy, and everyone's in love with the Cubs right now, so I hope they crumble like a sandcastle at high tide.

Keep hoping then.  I think this is their year.    Their offense should have a better showing in the NLCS than it did in the NLDS and their starting pitching is lined up perfectly. 

CLE/CHI World Series would be pretty cool given the fanbases and the championship droughts.  Plus you'd have Tito v. Theo which is one heckuva story line.

Last night was one of those special nights that you tend to see teams of destiny have to. 

Would love to see Ross go off on top too.   One of the nicest guys in baseball.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Price says he'll make Sox fans fall in love with him—good luck with that, David. A good place to start would be not allowing one or two homers every start.

I wouldn't count him out.  There is something about a player's first season in Boston.  Look at Porcello and Hanley, as the latest.  Price will stop putting so much pressure on himself and do just fine next year.

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 02:29:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I wouldn't count him out.  There is something about a player's first season in Boston.  Look at Porcello and Hanley, as the latest.  Price will stop putting so much pressure on himself and do just fine next year.

Also, the 180 that Lackey did. 

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Lackey pitched injured, that's something that can be objectively remedied. I'm not sure there's such a fix for Price's tendency to fold in big games.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Lackey pitched injured, that's something that can be objectively remedied. I'm not sure there's such a fix for Price's tendency to fold in big games.

I guess there are two issues - regular season Price, which I think will be fixed and post-season Price - we'll have to see. Post season Kershaw is not such a great pitcher either.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

He wasn't injured in year 1; 2010  Pitched 215IP and went 14-11 with a 4.40 ERA

From what I remember, the injury stuff came up early in 2011.  He just underwhelmed his first year in Boston.

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Yeah, it was really disappointing to see the Giants blow that game.  But their fatal flaw all season was their bullpen.

At least the Giants won a couple games in the playoffs.  They had one glaring flaw but were competitive otherwise.

The Sox simply got crushed.  They didn't belong.

I mean the Red Sox did lose 2 of the games by a run and I believe in both the games they had the tying and/or go ahead run aboard in the 8th and 9th innings. They didn't get any of the breaks in those series but 2 base hits there and they could be still playing up 2-1.

Don't get me wrong I was incredibly disappointed and a sweep is a sweep, but I wouldn't say we didn't belong on the field against the Indians. We were 2 pretty evenly matched teams throughout the season and in the playoffs.