Author Topic: Nets (32-35) at Celtics (44-23) Seeding Game #4 8/5/20  (Read 12833 times)

Re: Nets (32-35) at Celtics (44-23) Seeding Game #4 8/5/20
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2020, 11:44:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
SEMI OJELEYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2020, 12:34:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Looking forward to Raptors game.

I expect a battle.

Hope Brad continues to give more PT to Romeo and TL. Our defensive athleticism and interior defense are better with them.

« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2020, 07:19:53 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Missed game....Hot takes plz?

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2020, 09:00:04 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Missed game....Hot takes plz?

Other than being caught a couple of times on backdoor drives, Smart has destroyed everyone the entire game.

Have to find minutes for Rob Will.

Looks like Wanamaker took what was there to be taken for the PG/SG backup minutes.

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Romeo played fantastic.  Excellent defense and all around aggressiveness.

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2020, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
At the end of the “real” year, Romeo’s minutes were ramping up and he looked like a Solid defender with the threat of offense. Was hoping for him to become a Playoff xfactor for when Wanamaker becomes unplayable once teams game plan for him in a series. Maybe there is still a chance if that. Hopefully he gets some minutes in the next 4 Mostly meaningless games.

Ditto RWill, add def and subtract off, in place of some of When Kanter is unplayable. Would think a Williams duo frontcourt would be pretty effective in spurts.

BTW, thanks for ur takes! TPs!

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
agreed - those burying him as a bad pick due to his injuries are getting the chance to see the error of their ways

« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2020, 11:52:34 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
What I liked most about Romeo was that he seemed pretty comfortable and aggressive out there. He looked like he belonged although there was a few times that he looked lost his place defensively. If he continues to grow, I think he can be a solid bench player.

RWilliams looked good out there. Same as Romeo that there were some plays he was lost, but overall I like his athleticism and in short burst, I think he can be a good energy spark in the playoffs.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
agreed - those burying him as a bad pick due to his injuries are getting the chance to see the error of their ways
Oh please. He's averaging 2.5 ppg on 37% shooting.  I'll admit his defense looks better than I'd expected, but right now, at best he looks like he "might not be that bad of a pick".  E.g. he's looking perhaps like he can become a rotation player at some point IF he learns how to shoot - which was the knock on him coming out.  He's done nothing to prove he can shoot.  He had 4 point, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks in 26 minutes vs. one of the worst squads to ever play an NBA game, and you are saying anybody calling him a bad pick made an error.  The only thing I can say in the defense of the pick is that it's not like there are some stars emerging after the 14th slot that we clearly missed on. Probably Clarke would have been better, but slim pickins otherwise.

« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2020, 01:05:44 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Possibly unpopular opinion: Robert Williams is a good offensive big man, but a poor defensive big man. He keeps the ball moving, sets good picks, swings it side to side, finds the open man, and is a real threat on rolls. From what I saw last night, he was in the right position defensively about 25% of the time. He made a few nice blocks and recoveries after a pick-and-roll, but he was consistently out of position and made little attempt to hedge off drives to the rim -- that was against G-leaguers. He has to get better there. If he hedged the lane half as well as Theis, he would be a starter for a long time in the league. Theis is only in the NBA because he understands positioning so well. I think Williams will get better, but I'm guessing he's gonna need 3-4 more years before he is consistent enough to be relied on.

I like Romeo too. He's doing the little things really well right now. One thing that bothers me is that he is not getting enough touches to create on offense. Maybe it's a rookie thing. Maybe he's a bit passive. That's his best skill and I look forward to seeing more of it.

« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Possibly unpopular opinion: Robert Williams is a good offensive big man, but a poor defensive big man. He keeps the ball moving, sets good picks, swings it side to side, finds the open man, and is a real threat on rolls. From what I saw last night, he was in the right position defensively about 25% of the time. He made a few nice blocks and recoveries after a pick-and-roll, but he was consistently out of position and made little attempt to hedge off drives to the rim -- that was against G-leaguers. He has to get better there. If he hedged the lane half as well as Theis, he would be a starter for a long time in the league. Theis is only in the NBA because he understands positioning so well. I think Williams will get better, but I'm guessing he's gonna need 3-4 more years before he is consistent enough to be relied on.

I like Romeo too. He's doing the little things really well right now. One thing that bothers me is that he is not getting enough touches to create on offense. Maybe it's a rookie thing. Maybe he's a bit passive. That's his best skill and I look forward to seeing more of it.

No offense, but I find the criticisms of Williams being out of position most of the time to be without base. I doubt any of us here are qualified to understand what the switching assignments are on every defensive situation.  Sure there are moments he gets crossed up, where it is obvious. To say that occurred 75% of the time is a bit of an exaggeration.  When you consider that we are near the bottom in defensive ranking the first 3 games without Robert Williams playing hardly suggests that we are doing things better on the defensive end without him.

« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2020, 02:49:18 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

No offense, but I find the criticisms of Williams being out of position most of the time to be without base. I doubt any of us here are qualified to understand what the switching assignments are on every defensive situation.  Sure there are moments he gets crossed up, where it is obvious. To say that occurred 75% of the time is a bit of an exaggeration.  When you consider that we are near the bottom in defensive ranking the first 3 games without Robert Williams playing hardly suggests that we are doing things better on the defensive end without him.
Minuscule sample size for defensive rankings and stuff, don't think such a conclusion can be drawn from it. And I don't think positioning is that hard to understand - sure most if not all of us probably will never understand the nuances of it, but it's not that difficult to see a player being in or out of position in general (I do think that DWC was exaggerating Williams' defensive errors though).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2020, 03:29:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I like Romeo bit too soon for declarations either way. He’s got good energy and he’s not afraid to mix it up inside and use his arms and quickness.  Hasn’t proven anything other than he looks like he belongs in the league - which is great for a 20 year old.  I can’t guess how he’ll progress but am hopeful. 

« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

None taken. Not what my eyes see. I'm consistently frustrated with the way he hedges the lane and defends the rim. He looks great the other 25% of the time. That 75% is little things. The 25% looks pretty good when gets a block or tip or steal.

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

None taken. Not what my eyes see. I'm consistently frustrated with the way he hedges the lane and defends the rim. He looks great the other 25% of the time. That 75% is little things. The 25% looks pretty good when gets a block or tip or steal.

Alright footey. Just to concede a bit. I don't think I saw Williams out of place once in his minutes against the Raptors. That was pretty cool.