Poll

So, ESPN rank, your own opinion, Stephen A - whatever.

2 (2.8%)
Already
4 (5.6%)
10 (14.1%)
Never
37 (52.1%)
Sometime after 2022
18 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: How long before Jaylen is better than Kawhi  (Read 12122 times)

Re: How long before Jaylen is better than Kawhi
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
For your enjoyment...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Jaylen+Brown&player_id1_select=Jaylen+Brown&player_id1=brownja02&y1=2020&player_id2_hint=Kawhi+Leonard&player_id2_select=Kawhi+Leonard&y2=2015&player_id2=leonaka01&idx=players

Jaylen at 19.5, 7.3, 2.3, 1.1, and .3
Leonard at 16.5, 7.2, 2.5, 2.3, and .8

Jaylen at 50/39/74 shooting splits
Leonard at 48/35/80 shooting splits

The big difference is defense. When Jaylen locks in he gets pretty close to Leonard's level defensively. Problem is he paces himself and doesn't always lock in.

TP, dismissing the possibility that Jaylen could achieve the level of Kawhi Leonard based on his career so far and current play is being disproved by... Kawhi Leonard.

He probably won't, but it's possible.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2019, 01:40:15 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Sometimes I wonder how the careers of Jaylen and Jayson will impact each other by both playing on the same team. Fast-forward 4 years, and both are mature and hopefully healthy, both with a max contract. How will they coexist sharing the same stage and will it transform itself into wins and rings?

A great performer needs a stage to play on and enough freedom to shine. Lebron and Kawhi have moved the "show" continually from team to team. I wonder if both Jaylen and Jayson being on the same team will stunt the growth of one or the other. 

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
As much as Jaylen has improved, he doesn't have the gigantic hands that Leonard has, and most likely won't achieve the same level of ball handling in tight situations.  Leonard is also build wise just thicker and stronger.

Jaylen's outside shot has a chance to be better than Leonard's...but to equal Leonard overall will be a tough task...and too much to ask. 

Love Jaylen's new game when he gets into the paint.  His floater/step backs look very smooth and that's a great sign along with his other improvements. 

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The chance of Jaylen becoming Kawhi is about the same as Tatum becoming Durant, very low. The simple fact is its hard, and unlikely, that any given young player gets from where Jaylen is now to Kawhis level, because there are only 5 top 5 players in any given year and the amount of improvement you need to make every season to get to that level is high. I mean even Kawhi in like what his 9th season added a punch f passing too his game since last year.

That said I don't put any outcome past Jaylen, or Jayson for that matter. I'm just gonna enjoy the ride.

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I voted never. That said, Brown is a player who I believe has the IQ and physical assets to keep improving. Kawhi is a freakish talent though who is better athletically and his play is more instinctive. I want to say it is close, but it is close in the way that the times in the Olympic 100m final are close. It is the small differences that are most important.

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2019, 08:19:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
He already is..... Kawhi wants to be seriously compared to other players he needs to stop gaming the system and play 82 games. Lets see just how good he is when he goes the entire season. Didnt Kawhi just take a whole season off when his team claimed he was good to go.

It is not fair to compare Kawhi to other players when he has only played an average of 30 games a season the last two seasons and the other players are playing 82 games.
See, if fans of other teams ever lurk on our forum, it's posts like these that are absolutely embarrassing.

Jaylen Brown is not even in Kawhi Leonard's stratosphere.

Kinda true, but if Jaylen does a Kawhi and breaks out further, you are going to have to eat a big old pie made from four leaf clovers.  ;D
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Sometimes I wonder how the careers of Jaylen and Jayson will impact each other by both playing on the same team. Fast-forward 4 years, and both are mature and hopefully healthy, both with a max contract. How will they coexist sharing the same stage and will it transform itself into wins and rings?

A great performer needs a stage to play on and enough freedom to shine. Lebron and Kawhi have moved the "show" continually from team to team. I wonder if both Jaylen and Jayson being on the same team will stunt the growth of one or the other.

If it turns into a Harden/Westbrook/Durant situation though.....

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

If it turns into a Harden/Westbrook/Durant situation though.....
We actually have the benefit of a competent front office, which has already secured Jaylen.

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2019, 09:20:18 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I love Jaylen, but I don't see how anyone can think there's anything other than the remotest of chances he'll end up being as good as Kawhi. Kawhi's an MVP caliber player who's widely regarded as one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Quite a stretch to put JB anywhere near that.

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Lebron moved his show from team to team looking for players like JB & JT to play with, not moving away from them.

Kawhi has really only moved once of his own free will, and that was to go home. Really not a relevant comparison, but even with his move, he only agreed to do it when he had a player like JB/JT (at least what we hope they'll become) moving with him.

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is a joke right?  It ain't even close.

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2019, 09:25:42 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
This is a joke right?  It ain't even close.

"Never" is an option, champion.

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2019, 02:40:38 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Pretty soon

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2019, 02:59:24 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo