Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 553980 times)

tazzmaniac, hpantazo, Vermont Green, CelticSooner and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #6540 on: April 29, 2024, 03:53:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Davis in 4th quarter

Game 4 - 1 shot, 2 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, -4
Game 3 - 1 of 3, 3 points, 4 rebounds, +1
Game 2 - 0 of 1, 0 points, 1 rebound, -11
Game 1 - 3 of 8, 10 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, +0

He has disappeared in the 4th quarter in all but Game 1, which of course is the game they were losing by double digits entering the quarter.  A complete and utter nonfactor down the stretch of close games.

Davis is a #2, not a #1.  He isn't a closeout guy. Lebron wanted to pass the torch, but Davis isn't able to take it.

With big guys though do you really blame it entirely on Davis disappearing? Or is there some blame to the coach and the guards? Like he can only get in the post and yell for the ball for the most part. I don't think he is some crazy alpha that just takes over games, but I do think some of this is the Lakers not really having a true point guard. I do agree with you overall that he isn't a true number one though. I am just defending him a bit in this particular series cause I feel like he and Lebron showed up.
the Lakers issues aren't apparently a problem for 3 quarters only the 4th. That is the issue.  He has been pretty dominant most of the game until crunch time and then nothing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6541 on: April 29, 2024, 03:58:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Davis in 4th quarter

He has disappeared in the 4th quarter in all but Game 1, which of course is the game they were losing by double digits entering the quarter.  A complete and utter nonfactor down the stretch of close games.

Davis is a #2, not a #1.  He isn't a closeout guy. Lebron wanted to pass the torch, but Davis isn't able to take it.

With big guys though do you really blame it entirely on Davis disappearing? Or is there some blame to the coach and the guards? Like he can only get in the post and yell for the ball for the most part. I don't think he is some crazy alpha that just takes over games, but I do think some of this is the Lakers not really having a true point guard. I do agree with you overall that he isn't a true number one though. I am just defending him a bit in this particular series cause I feel like he and Lebron showed up.
the Lakers issues aren't apparently a problem for 3 quarters only the 4th. That is the issue.  He has been pretty dominant most of the game until crunch time and then nothing.

Well there clearly is a reason why they could happen related to what I say. One Ham does not make adjustments thoughout the game and things that are working in the beginning work less and less. Russell, Reaves and Lebron also want to play hero ball. For Lebron, it makes sense and he performs but that does take away from Davis shots. Russell has been an irrational confidence guy his whole career and is their biggest disappointment this series. Reaves is a fine player, but he is very overrated and should not be a good team's third or fourth best player.

« Reply #6542 on: April 29, 2024, 04:09:36 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
I think the biggest issue for the Lakers is Reaves/D-Lo are just inconsistent. Reaves to me is another version of Caruso/Kuzma, guys who get hyped because they play in LA with Lebron but really, they are good players, not *great*. Reaves has done well the last two games, but was bad the first two. D'Lo has also had two good games, but also two bad games including a horrific Game 3. They need more from those two consistently.

AD is a big reason they are even in these games with Denver. I don't see him as an alpha either but he and Lebron are doing the best they can. They can only do much though unless you're expecting both to score 40+ (or one guy to score 50+)

LAL's bench is also a lot weaker than recent years, partly due to injuries.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6543 on: April 29, 2024, 04:12:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
I think the biggest issue for the Lakers is Reaves/D-Lo are just inconsistent. Reaves to me is another version of Caruso/Kuzma, guys who get hyped because they play in LA with Lebron but really, they are good players, not *great*. Reaves has done well the last two games, but was bad the first two. D'Lo has also had two good games, but also two bad games including a horrific Game 3. They need more from those two consistently.

AD is a big reason they are even in these games with Denver. I don't see him as an alpha either but he and Lebron are doing the best they can. They can only do much though unless you're expecting both to score 40+ (or one guy to score 50+)

I am sure some will disagree with me, but I think both Caruso and Kuzma are better players than Reaves. The difference in strength between Caruso and Reaves is pretty insane. That is why Caruso is an all defensive player and (along with his defensive skill obviously) and Reaves gets picked on every game.

« Reply #6544 on: April 29, 2024, 04:16:10 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I am sure some will disagree with me, but I think both Caruso and Kuzma are better players than Reaves. The difference in strength between Caruso and Reaves is pretty insane. That is why Caruso is an all defensive player and (along with his defensive skill obviously) and Reaves gets picked on every game.

Probably true. I'll admit, I haven't followed Caruso as much since he joined Chicago, which pretty much proves my point lol that no one in the national media really talks about him much now that he's not a Laker. Kuzma has pretty much become irrelevant being on a bad Washington team.

« Reply #6545 on: April 29, 2024, 05:39:00 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2558
Does the fact that the Lakers take leads and then lose the leads have anything to do with Denver?  Or it’s just if only LA could be more consistent….
Maybe they are sometimes inconsistent because Denver chooses when to actually play.

« Reply #6546 on: April 29, 2024, 05:40:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Does the fact that the Lakers take leads and then lose the leads have anything to do with Denver?  Or it’s just if only LA could be more consistent….
Maybe they are sometimes inconsistent because Denver chooses when to actually play.

I think this is part of it. Denver is the better team and can turn it on. Another big part is I think Malone is a really good coach and Ham is pretty awful. I would be surprised if Ham gets another head coach job after this.

« Reply #6547 on: April 29, 2024, 06:23:19 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 562
Celtics might very well end up with an injured Miami, Cleveland/Orlando, Indiana/New York eastern conference run. Just ridiculous luck, have to capitalize on it.

« Reply #6548 on: April 29, 2024, 07:01:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Celtics might very well end up with an injured Miami, Cleveland/Orlando, Indiana/New York eastern conference run. Just ridiculous luck, have to capitalize on it.

Yeah, and knock on wood but the Celtics are still healthy and have HCA (not that it's mattered much, but it definitely does when you are playing a younger/inexperienced team which the Celtics may do the next two rounds and assuming MIA/PHI/MIL are knocked out before)

« Reply #6549 on: April 29, 2024, 07:32:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Davis in 4th quarter

Well there clearly is a reason why they could happen related to what I say. One Ham does not make adjustments thoughout the game and things that are working in the beginning work less and less. Russell, Reaves and Lebron also want to play hero ball. For Lebron, it makes sense and he performs but that does take away from Davis shots. Russell has been an irrational confidence guy his whole career and is their biggest disappointment this series. Reaves is a fine player, but he is very overrated and should not be a good team's third or fourth best player.
If you are the man, you demand the ball and get shots and not shrink away in the 4th quarter.  Davis simply isn't the man. Nothing more to it than that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6550 on: April 29, 2024, 08:12:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2425
ɴᴏᴛ
@georgemikan

Davis with Jokic as the primary defender:

▫️ 71 PTS on 66.5 TS%
▫️ 32-45 on 2P (71.1%)
▫️ 9 AST to 4 TOV

Jokic with Davis as the primary defender:

▫️ 54 PTS on 62.2 TS%
▫️ 16-30 on 2P (53.3%)
▫️ 20 AST to 0 TOV

« Reply #6551 on: April 29, 2024, 08:14:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Not seeing any updates on Jamal Murray anywhere.

Anyone heard anything?

« Reply #6552 on: April 29, 2024, 08:17:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Not seeing any updates on Jamal Murray anywhere.

Anyone heard anything?
Hope he plays or Denver in trouble
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6553 on: April 29, 2024, 08:38:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
So one of these youtube sports doctors says Chris Finich is likely to need surgery, 4-6 weeks of an immobilized leg, will not be able to sit on the bench, could sit behind the bench and coach from there.

He would be able to put weight on the knee earlier but not able to bend it for the 4-6 weeks. So he wouldn't be able to move quickly enough to be on the sideline. A straight leg while sitting on the bench would probably stretch out onto the court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1EDOExepC8

That is if the Patellar Tendon rupture report is accurate.

Anyway, I thought that was an interesting estimate to put out there while we await the final verdict.

« Reply #6554 on: April 29, 2024, 08:57:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Pelicans dancers in green and black. Look like the Celtics dark uniforms.

Ah, the Pelicans are wearing a similar uniform. Not sure I have ever seen this NOP uniform before. It is more of a lime green than an emerald green.