Author Topic: Bradley Beal will not play in restart season  (Read 3762 times)

Bradley Beal will not play in restart season
« on: July 07, 2020, 11:22:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Per Shams:

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Wizards star Bradley Beal will not play in restarted NBA season due to shoulder injury.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Bradley Beal will not play in restart season
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
A star, on a borderline team, close to his next contract, is about the most likely player to sit this out.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Washington has almost no chance of making the playoffs - I am not sure why they were even invited anyway. I suppose it was only because the West had several bubble teams that were invited and they wanted to the East to feel included. Apparently, with the recent Wizards drop-outs, they really don't care. And I can't blame them. Really only the teams with a 'chance' have to be the ones willing to go through with the whole charade.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Wizards and Suns never should have been invited. 5.5 and 6 games back respectively.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't blame him one bit. People can bring up "contract terms" and "loyalty" and all this other stuff, but there's no way around the fact that this season just feels all gimmicky now. They chose a 22-team format just so they can try to get Zion in the playoffs. Meanwhile, you have more and more players testing positive and/or dropping out, even from some contenders. Why should Wizards and Suns players all return only to potentially leave just a week later because they get eliminated. Why go through all that risk?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 01:04:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's hard to see what Beal or the Wizards gain from him playing given the how unlikely a playoff berth is. If he's not comfortable, then I don't have a problem with him staying home.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’m fairly sure the Wizards would prefer the lottery pick and a healthy team next season to Beal and/Bertans getting hurt playing effectively meaningless games. 

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 01:18:53 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Even if this doesn't get any worse we already have some real competitive issue emerging. The nets are going to serve as a bye for whoever plays them in the first round. They will be sitting KD, Irving, Jordan, Chandler and most likely Dinwiddie. Whoever plays the Wizards in these 8 games basically can win with their backups (they are a bad team to begin with down their two best players). The idea to bring 22 teams was absolutely ridiculous.

I also imagine more players are going to opt out/leave the bubble once they are there (to say nothing of the possibility of increased injuries or covid outbreaks). Whole thing feels really ridiculous.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 05:34:39 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Even if this doesn't get any worse we already have some real competitive issue emerging. The nets are going to serve as a bye for whoever plays them in the first round. They will be sitting KD, Irving, Jordan, Chandler and most likely Dinwiddie. Whoever plays the Wizards in these 8 games basically can win with their backups (they are a bad team to begin with down their two best players). The idea to bring 22 teams was absolutely ridiculous.

I also imagine more players are going to opt out/leave the bubble once they are there (to say nothing of the possibility of increased injuries or covid outbreaks). Whole thing feels really ridiculous.

In my mind bringing back those exact 22 teams makes perfect sense, because those are exactly the 22 teams that make a theoretical chance to make the playoffs. In this way there's no team that can make a claim that they were unfairly excluded from this restart and start a case against the NBA or something like that.

Now a couple of bottom teams that don't have ambitions for this season sit their star players, but to be honest that happens every year! It's a drawback from the draft lottery system that entices teams to lose games at the end of the season 'on purpose' by resting their best players (and protecting them from serious injuries) and at the same time use those games to test and develop young players.

Probably only 4-6 teams will take a different approach than trying to win as many games as possible, but under these special circumstances it just draws more attention. In general I expect the remaining games to be more competitive, because the 8 teams that will not be playing are the teams that would have even more motivation to lose games. In fairness the last quarter of the regular season is always wacky and not particularly competitive overall.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 10:16:55 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Interesting that a lot of Nets players are sitting it out. Obviously Dinwiddie has Covid so can't blame him but I wonder if the others are sitting out because they don't want to make Kyrie mad.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Prince is also sitting out now for the nets. They truly will be a first round bye for the bucks I think.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 11:19:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Prince is also sitting out now for the nets. They truly will be a first round bye for the bucks I think.
If we're really lucky and we lob into 2nd while Orlando somehow stays in 8th we'll get Brooklyn! ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 11:29:06 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Is this really that different than any other year?

LeBron, Lonzo, Ingram all sat out the Lakers stretch run while Olapipo missed the playoffs and Blake Griffin sat out the final 2 playoff games for their teams last year.

Obviously the Nets is a little more extreme, but you have teams like the Clippers ('16) missing Blake and Chris Paul by the end of their 1st round run, and the Rockets ('09) missing both Yao and McGrady by the end of their 2nd round run.

And I'm sure there's been other teams in recent history limping to the playoffs with depleted rosters. (One seemingly random not-so-recent team that comes to mind is the '94 Cavs, missing Nance and Daugherty, both All-Stars the prior year, and Hot Rod Williams, a solid starter, getting swept by a Jordan-less Bulls).

So far this just feels like a couple of teams hit hard by the injury bug and/or sitting out players when they don't have a shot, which happens all the time.

Will admit though, we're teetering on the edge of going well past that point, but so far it still feels like a somewhat normal playoff run in terms of player availability to me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:53:58 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 12:33:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Personally, I'm still thinking this won't end up happening. Or maybe it starts, but quickly after things get hectic and they have to shut it down again. Florida continues to get 7,000+ cases a day and their positive rate of COVID tests was at a record high yesterday (around 16%). Today they got about 9,900. And it seems FL is also falling behind on testing as well as reporting hospitalization and death numbers, which is not ideal. Over 50 counties in FL have already had hospitals reach capacity and numerous others only have less than 10% capacity left.

Adam Silver said yesterday that there's a chance if the virus gets into the bubble and spreads, they'll be forced to shut it down. Makes me think they are bracing for it seeing what's happening around FL and also around the league as more players test positive and drop out even before entering the bubble
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I seriously don't get this, but maybe someone can explain this to me.

Why did they choose Florida of all places?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different