Author Topic: Trade Idea: Crazy (Yet Sane) Celtics Proposal  (Read 3777 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Crazy (Yet Sane) Celtics Proposal
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2023, 06:33:26 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The salaries aren't even close to matching, so it makes no sense in the first place. Then we're talking one first round pick, and a pick swap the following year. A trade for Jokic or Giannis would cost at least 4-5 first round picks, plus players.

Harden & Harris are both expiring at the end of this season, that’s 74 million alone.

76ers will also have Melton, Korkmaz, Maxey, Harrell, Bamba & Beverley off contract, and House Jr has a player option which he’ll most likely decline.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2023, 09:33:05 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The salaries aren't even close to matching, so it makes no sense in the first place. Then we're talking one first round pick, and a pick swap the following year. A trade for Jokic or Giannis would cost at least 4-5 first round picks, plus players.

Harden & Harris are both expiring at the end of this season, that’s 74 million alone.

76ers will also have Melton, Korkmaz, Maxey, Harrell, Bamba & Beverley off contract, and House Jr has a player option which he’ll most likely decline.

Maybe I'm missing the point of this topic or I completely don't understands how trades work. In the '24-25 season, the proposed players will have the following salaries:

Embiid - $51M

Brown- about $50M
Porzingis - $29M

If the salaries have to be within a certain percentage of matching, then how can that trade happen? You either can't include Porzingis or Philly has to add players to match salary. Looking at Philly's payroll, I don't see how it's possible.

I see this trade idea as being another reason why Brown isn't a max player. In no world would Philly trade Embiid for Brown, even with picks involved. The difference in talent and impact between the two is drastic. That thought shouldn't really occur, if your trading a supermax player for another supermax player.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2023, 09:41:02 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Maybe I'm missing the point of this topic or I completely don't understands how trades work. In the '24-25 season, the proposed players will have the following salaries:

Embiid - $51M

Brown- about $50M
Porzingis - $29M

If the salaries have to be within a certain percentage of matching, then how can that trade happen? You either can't include Porzingis or Philly has to add players to match salary. Looking at Philly's payroll, I don't see how it's possible.

I see this trade idea as being another reason why Brown isn't a max player. In no world would Philly trade Embiid for Brown, even with picks involved. The difference in talent and impact between the two is drastic. That thought shouldn't really occur, if your trading a supermax player for another supermax player.

Philadelphia will have enough cap space next year to take an extra $30 million in trades without having to match salary.  I don’t like the idea for many reasons, from both teams, but matching salaries isn’t a problem.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 09:46:51 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2023, 11:22:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Celtics: Embiid

76ers: Brown, Porzingis, 2025 Celtics 1st round pick, 2027 Celtics 1st round pick swap

Trade is for 2024-25 season

———

After Embiid’s recent comments regarding his NBA future & his obvious connection with the New York Knicks, the media continues to speculate how long until he gets traded to the Knicks.

My first thought is why? What would the Knicks have to offer? A very mediocre ‘star’ in RJ Barrett or Julius Randle’s terrible contract? Perhaps it’s all their picks that would take five years before they have a chance at being valuable.

I highly doubt Embiid would want to go to the Celtics, nor would their ownership want to move him to Boston either, but in theory, a trade like this makes a lot of sense for both teams.

———

Boston Celtics

White
Brogdon
Tatum
Williams III
Embiid

Horford, Prichard, Brissett, Hauser, Banton, Walsh

———

Philadelphia 76ers

Maxey
Brown
Harris
Tucker
Porzingis

How does this trade make the Celtics better?  When you break this down even more we've basically given up Smart, Brown and Porzingis for Embiid.  Plus you want to hand them 1st round picks.  I'm all for trading Brown because I think we need to get some value but this trade makes no sense for the Celtics.

Yes. I wonder about this too. Is Boston even better after this trade?

I don't think Embiid can play with Timelord. Nor did Embiid play well with Horford in Philly. So those combinations will not work well.

I do not think that is a better team post-trade than it is currently.
Yes, Boston is better with Embiid and a bunch of vet minimum players than it is with Brown and Zinger because Embiid is not only better than those 2 guys, he is also better than Tatum.  You add a player better than Tatum to Tatum and you get better.  Talent wins the games that matter and Boston adds way more talent.  That would obviously not be the last move, because I do think the C's would have to move on from Rob, but even with what the team has now/left I do think a starting 5 of Brogdon, White, Tatum, Hauser, Embiid would be so hard to guard (of course unless philly basically let everyone go, they'd probably need to send more salary back, maybe PJ Tucker, maybe Harris in a sign and trade).  Shooters at every position.  The 2nd best center and perhaps best interior scorer in the sport, an excellent multi-faceted wing (also a top 10 player), and great role players that excel at certain things.  If you can trade Rob for a swing of similar talent, then I think you have the beginning of a solid bench (with that player, Al, and you bring back Pritchard).  Need to pick up a couple of vets in free agency and that team is better (at least in the post season which is all that really matters).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:28:02 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2023, 03:18:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Celtics: Embiid

76ers: Brown, Porzingis, 2025 Celtics 1st round pick, 2027 Celtics 1st round pick swap

Trade is for 2024-25 season

———

After Embiid’s recent comments regarding his NBA future & his obvious connection with the New York Knicks, the media continues to speculate how long until he gets traded to the Knicks.

My first thought is why? What would the Knicks have to offer? A very mediocre ‘star’ in RJ Barrett or Julius Randle’s terrible contract? Perhaps it’s all their picks that would take five years before they have a chance at being valuable.

I highly doubt Embiid would want to go to the Celtics, nor would their ownership want to move him to Boston either, but in theory, a trade like this makes a lot of sense for both teams.

———

Boston Celtics

White
Brogdon
Tatum
Williams III
Embiid

Horford, Prichard, Brissett, Hauser, Banton, Walsh

———

Philadelphia 76ers

Maxey
Brown
Harris
Tucker
Porzingis

How does this trade make the Celtics better?  When you break this down even more we've basically given up Smart, Brown and Porzingis for Embiid.  Plus you want to hand them 1st round picks.  I'm all for trading Brown because I think we need to get some value but this trade makes no sense for the Celtics.

Yes. I wonder about this too. Is Boston even better after this trade?

I don't think Embiid can play with Timelord. Nor did Embiid play well with Horford in Philly. So those combinations will not work well.

I do not think that is a better team post-trade than it is currently.
Yes, Boston is better with Embiid and a bunch of vet minimum players than it is with Brown and Zinger because Embiid is not only better than those 2 guys, he is also better than Tatum.  You add a player better than Tatum to Tatum and you get better.  Talent wins the games that matter and Boston adds way more talent.  That would obviously not be the last move, because I do think the C's would have to move on from Rob, but even with what the team has now/left I do think a starting 5 of Brogdon, White, Tatum, Hauser, Embiid would be so hard to guard (of course unless philly basically let everyone go, they'd probably need to send more salary back, maybe PJ Tucker, maybe Harris in a sign and trade).  Shooters at every position.  The 2nd best center and perhaps best interior scorer in the sport, an excellent multi-faceted wing (also a top 10 player), and great role players that excel at certain things.  If you can trade Rob for a swing of similar talent, then I think you have the beginning of a solid bench (with that player, Al, and you bring back Pritchard).  Need to pick up a couple of vets in free agency and that team is better (at least in the post season which is all that really matters).
Better than Tatum in the regular season, not much better than Brown in the postseason.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2023, 08:51:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Embiid is one of the best players on the planet for three quarters, then he is garbage usually for the final quarter.   This is why we consistently beat him.    All you have to do is stay close and they pounce when fatigue and his knee issues arise.

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I'd do that deal for Jokic or Giannis.  That's about it.

I’m with this here. I don’t think it’s a crazy idea at all. We’re talking the reigning mvp. In his prime. Destroying the league. But just because I fear that weight on him and I just always expect he’s going to have a shortened career I’d pretend I never got that call if I was a GM. Even a slightly better deal. I’m lying to the public and saying I never received any call of the sort. Easier to play it safe with this group in my opinion.
   If they won ONE title with ANY trade , including Tatum , it would all be worth it to me.