Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39551 times)

Re: Refs and rookies
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think Celtics fans are being huge whiners lately about the refs.  I constantly see it around here.  The team is not drawing fouls because they don't go to the rim and play physically on offense and , a couple of bad games aside as you will find night to night in the NBA with certain refs, the foul issues are not some conspiracy.

The only thing I would say is personally I think Kyrie gets fouled going to the rim more than he gets called (which is not the case for most stars).  I think it's because he has such great body control in part and can always get off shots even if he's getting hit or pushed.

Semi can foul a lot, Baynes can, Smart can.  Happens.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Re: Refs and rookies
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think Celtics fans are being huge whiners lately about the refs.  I constantly see it around here.  The team is not drawing fouls because they don't go to the rim and play physically on offense and , a couple of bad games aside as you will find night to night in the NBA with certain refs, the foul issues are not some conspiracy.

The only thing I would say is personally I think Kyrie gets fouled going to the rim more than he gets called (which is not the case for most stars).  I think it's because he has such great body control in part and can always get off shots even if he's getting hit or pushed.

Semi can foul a lot, Baynes can, Smart can.  Happens.

Yeah, definitely whining by the OP. The OP never seems to blame Semi for his play. No, instead it's the refs fault, the system, teammates, etc. It's always someone or something other than the player himself. Pretty funny stuff.

Re: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

1)It is well known that give rookies get little lattitude on incidental defensive contact
2)It is well known stars get calls and are the whiners
3)Even lumbered with those fouls his defensive rating was 83.4  second only to Rozier
4) name another 6-7 rookie that can guard 1-5 or that is tasked to guard the players opposing teams all stars
5)You disparage direct quotes of Brads and Horfords
6)Semi is a rookie learning multiple defensive sets of multiple players
Film never prepares like experience
7)the game is still fast for Semi as it should be-he sometimes gets tentative
8)He is a rookie playing for best defense in league and learning on the fly.

« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

1)It is well known that give rookies get little lattitude on incidental defensive contact
3)Even lumbered with those fouls his defensive rating was 83.4  second only to Rozier
4) name another 6-7 rookie that can guard 1-5 or that is tasked to guard the players opposing teams all stars

1. True
2. Not all stars are whiners, but they do get calls.
3. False. You must be looking at offensive rating because his defensive rating is 105, which is tied with Larkin and Yabusele as the worst on the team.
4. None, but that includes Semi. He's not the defender you constantly proclaim him to be. He can't cover 5's and isn't quick enough to cover most 1's or 2's. He was completely torched by Beasley and Stevens lacked so much confidence in him that he didn't put him on Kuzma during the 4Q of the Lakers loss.
5. I love Stevens, but he's also the same guy that had James Young in his top 10 draft board and thought Demetrius Jackson and Ben Bentil would be drafted much higher. Again, it's coach speak and classic Brad. Unless, of course you have ever heard Brad say anything negative about a specific player.
6. "Film never prepares like experience" is a pretty funny and hypocritical statement since you constantly say that Ben Simmons is not a true rookie because he was on the team for 1 year.
7. Yes, it's very fast for him and he does look extremely tentative.
8. Yes, he's a rookie, but he's an older rookie (23) at that. Plus, him playing as a rookie and playing for the best defensive team in the league can also be said about a few other Celtics. Most of which have contributed much more than Semi.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:51:34 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:37 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

1. True
2. Not all stars are whiners, but they do get calls.
3. False. You must be looking at offensive rating because his defensive rating is 105, which is tied with Larkin and Yabusele as the worst on the team.
4. None, but that includes Semi. He's not the defender you constantly proclaim him to be. He can't cover 5's and isn't quick enough to cover most 1's or 2's. He was completely torched by Beasley and Stevens lacked so much confidence in him that he didn't put him on Kuzma during the 4Q of the Lakers loss.
5. I love Stevens, but he's also the same guy that had James Young in his top 10 draft board and thought Demetrius Jackson and Ben Bentil would be drafted much higher. Again, it's coach speak and classic Brad. Unless, of course you have ever heard Brad say anything negative about a specific player.
6. "Film never prepares like experience" is a pretty funny and hypocritical statement since you constantly say that Ben Simmons is not a true rookie because he was on the team for 1 year.
7. Yes, it's very fast for him and he does look extremely tentative.
8. Yes, he's a rookie, but he's an older rookie (23) at that. Plus, him playing as a rookie and playing for the best defensive team in the league can also be said about a few other Celtics. Most of which have contributed much more than Semi.

3) TRUE-"even lumbered with those fouls his defensive rating 83.4 2nd to Rozier"---that was for Clippers game is there something wrong with your reading comprehension

6")Film never prepares like experience" and was not hypocritical because Simmons was on team for a year. Simmons spent a solid year watching film and even was making interactive calls to bench during games, He was immersed in NBA lifestyle, travel ,familiar with teammates ,spend quite a bit of time in weight room and watching from bench live games both home and away.
4)Semi can guard 1-5 in a switching defense but is not always successful
 Beasley is streaky and was hot.Brad said" he wished he had used him on Booker"-did you see him defending Jordan and Blake.
.I remember when Semi switched onto a quick point guard and his lateral and strength kept the guard from turning corner.It was quite impressive.
9)The game is fast for most rookies,having to guard multiple positions is challenging
 while inconsistent lineups adds to this.The fact that semi has been used in 4th quarters and even almost full 4th quarters speaks volumes.Inconsistency is a rookie trait
10)Semi can shoot and it is my belief that he will start hitting his open threes the 2nd half of season and that there is so much going that it has effected his shooting.
11) semi is inhibited from playing too aggressive defense and using his strength by inexperience and speed of game that most rookies have.He is often tasked with guarding stars who get preferential calls which makes him tentative the use of hands, holding and grabbing is so different than college and pro techniques can be subtle and illusive as refs play a large part in what you can and can't get away with.
Shall i remind you of your post" Semi sucks"-you have minimized his athleticism with "he trained for it" stated that it did not transfer to court-well he is playing and tasked some important near impossible defensive assignments for a rookie
Semi is a rookie learning to play NBA defense for the top defense in league and this all started with the sentence" that Semi might eclipse Crowder"  and at this moment Crowder has played his way to the bench and is in conflict with Love.
In your attempt to deflect and minimize Brads praise of Semi -you throw out James "no defense" Young,Then on to Jackson and Bentil and Brad thinking they should have been drafted earlier.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:04:30 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Some players just seem to be lightning rods.

Many here will remember Antoine Walker (whose nickname "Employee #8" is one of the all-time greats); that he attracted all sorts of passion, both positive and negative, was not too surprising: he was talkative and had swagger, had the ball in his hands a lot and took and missed a lot of Boston's shots.

But Semi Ojeleye? Go figure.

« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I don't see what is possibly arguable with him though as far as offense.  He has been absolutely bad there and there's no debate.  He hardly steps off the 3 point line and he's now shooting 29 percent.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I don't see what is possibly arguable with him though as far as offense.  He has been absolutely bad there and there's no debate.  He hardly steps off the 3 point line and he's now shooting 29 percent.

He's a disaster offensively. Yesterday he even airballed a layup. He does nothing even close to average on offense. He doesn't even move well without the ball, which is something Bradley excelled at when his offense was still a liability. To makes matters worse, Semi doesn't know his limitations like a Roberson does. No, unfortunately for us Semi seems more than willing to shoot brick after brick.

Shooting 31% from the field, 29% from 3's, and 61% from FT's is pretty hard to do. However, Semi is making it look really easy.

« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

He's a disaster offensively. Yesterday he even airballed a layup. He does nothing even close to average on offense. He doesn't even move well without the ball, which is something Bradley excelled at when his offense was still a liability. To makes matters worse, Semi doesn't know his limitations like a Roberson does. No, unfortunately for us Semi seems more than willing to shoot brick after brick.

Shooting 31% from the field, 29% from 3's, and 61% from FT's is pretty hard to do. However, Semi is making it look really easy.
well, in the there-may-still-be-hope department, in his rookie year, crowder's shooting stats in 18 mpg were:
2 pt% = 38
3 pt% = 33
FT% = 64

not quite as poor as semi, but within barking distance.

plus, in 58 games in college, semi shot:
2 pt% = 48
3 pt% = 41.5
FT% = 78.5

yes, he is p--- poor so far. but i am not yet convinced that he cannot become a decent nba shooter as well as a good defender.

let's do something radical and virutally unheard of on cb, let's be patient, reserve final judgements, and revisit this in a year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

plus, in 58 games in college, semi shot:
2 pt% = 48
3 pt% = 41.5
FT% = 78.5

Those numbers are skewed as he had success in a weak conference. That said, while at Duke and playing in the ACC he posted the following:

2 pt% = 37.5
3 pt% = 34.8
FT% = 77.8

So basically the only time he has been successful offensively since 2013 was as a 4th year junior playing in a weak conference.

« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Definite trade candidate or throw in...

« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Trade candidate, maybe. Throw-in, less likely.

They’ve got him signed at ridiculous money for four years.  He’s played rotation minutes from the jump, with no time in the G-League (compare, for example, to Terry Rozier III).  They’re developing him as a stopper, so he’s got a skill that he can hang his hat on. He’s got big upside, and the risk in being patient with him is tiny.

Someone has to be the 8th, 9th, 10th man; in the next four years Boston has to come to terms with its stars, so the bottom rungs of the rotation need to be occupied by guys who can play and who don’t cost much.

« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2018, 06:39:10 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Trade candidate, maybe. Throw-in, less likely.

They’ve got him signed at ridiculous money for four years.  He’s played rotation minutes from the jump, with no time in the G-League (compare, for example, to Terry Rozier III).  They’re developing him as a stopper, so he’s got a skill that he can hang his hat on. He’s got big upside, and the risk in being patient with him is tiny.

To the 3 bolded parts -

1. He's played minutes out of sheer necessity. However, not surprisingly his minutes have been reduced to 8.2 MPG in January, which coincides with Morris' minutes restriction being lifted. Once Hayward returns and/or we add another quality 3/4 he'll get 0 minutes.

2. Rozier and Semi (and Smart) are the same age now, so bringing up Rozier playing in the G-League at such a young age is pointless. This also speaks as to how behind Semi is as a player from being a true rotational player.

3. "Big upside" is completely laughable. Hard to add anything to that except to wonder if you are you actually watching the games and/or if you know the guy on a personal level.

« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
3 words come to mind when I think of Semi....He...Can't...Shoot

« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His lack of confidence makes KO seem assertive.