Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39283 times)

Re: Semi starting to wake up or heat up
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:03 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
He's hitting the rookie wall.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2018, 07:54:34 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
i think he is sound asleep at the wheel.

I don't think that he is even in the car.

lol

He's in a coma.

In all seriousness, though, I don't want him to be cut. I think he needs to go to the G-League for the rest of the year and try to give him a chance there. I remain dubious because the lack of hustle is so evident. That's something that you either have or don't. It's not something you can develop. Not to mention that it's hard to be successful offensively when your shooting, passing, and dribbling is so rudimentary.

« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2018, 08:03:40 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Trade him for Melo ...LOl

« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Drew Hanlon was interviewed on Banners and is in constant contact  with Tatum and management
but there was never a question about Semi.
Semi has to defend one through 5 thats a daunting task as a rookie .Also has to learn what works defensively so he isn't a foul magnet.
Often times he is tasked to guard some of the best of NBA and you know which way the fouls are going-
The Red Claws don't play defense-he be better off with some hands on work with Drew
Drew did say that Tatums progression as a 3 point shooter started at Duke-they had altered his shot before entering but when he injured ankle he reverted back to old habits -Drew worked with him and Tatum shot 38% following that tune up and he kept getting better. In tryouts he shot 80%
Ainge and Brad know what they are doing.
It looks to me like he is sticking to the ROOKIE script playing simple straight up defense while waiting for things to slow down.
He isn't forcing shots-like some players are
The failure to hit a couple threes a game is nothing compared to turnovers ,poor shot selection and finishing ability by some.
Semi is the least of Brads worries-he is just a 2nd round rookie on a very good team and that TEAM  is not performing well as a whole.

If Semi has a motor problem BRAD would know it.
Ainge would know it
Again he is just a rookie not a target or a scapegoat for personal agendas.
The guy has incredible work ethic and is smart and his combine showing does not lead to lacks motor.
nobody can minimize those three results with he trained for them
Everybody but Fultz did
-They call him the hulk and to have that vertical ,sprint and lane agility got him best athlete at combine
He is given Herculian task of guarding superstars and guarding 1 through 5 without fouling  with superstars using every trick in book and getting all the calls-a daunting task for a rookie.
Brad states his defense is near elite-maybe he has hit the rookie wall on defense

« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Combine athletic numbers have absolutely nothing to do with a player's motor.

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Drew Hanlon was interviewed on Banners and is in constant contact  with Tatum and management
but there was never a question about Semi.
Semi has to defend one through 5 thats a daunting task as a rookie .Also has to learn what works defensively so he isn't a foul magnet.
Often times he is tasked to guard some of the best of NBA and you know which way the fouls are going-
The Red Claws don't play defense-he be better off with some hands on work with Drew
Drew did say that Tatums progression as a 3 point shooter started at Duke-they had altered his shot before entering but when he injured ankle he reverted back to old habits -Drew worked with him and Tatum shot 38% following that tune up and he kept getting better. In tryouts he shot 80%
Ainge and Brad know what they are doing.
It looks to me like he is sticking to the ROOKIE script playing simple straight up defense while waiting for things to slow down.
He isn't forcing shots-like some players are
The failure to hit a couple threes a game is nothing compared to turnovers ,poor shot selection and finishing ability by some.
Semi is the least of Brads worries-he is just a 2nd round rookie on a very good team and that TEAM  is not performing well as a whole.

If Semi has a motor problem BRAD would know it.
Ainge would know it
Again he is just a rookie not a target or a scapegoat for personal agendas.
The guy has incredible work ethic and is smart and his combine showing does not lead to lacks motor.
nobody can minimize those three results with he trained for them
Everybody but Fultz did
-They call him the hulk and to have that vertical ,sprint and lane agility got him best athlete at combine
He is given Herculian task of guarding superstars and guarding 1 through 5 without fouling  with superstars using every trick in book and getting all the calls-a daunting task for a rookie.
Brad states his defense is near elite-maybe he has hit the rookie wall on defense

I dont think the lack of motor can only be seen by Brad or Ainge alone. Its been very very evident. Guys lack Smart often cannot score as well but still contribute to winning because they hustle. Semi does not.

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Exactly. Rollie doesn't understand what's being criticized when his motor, or lack thereof, is brought up. Motor refers to hustle and multiple effort plays. Semi just doesn't play with any passion or energy at all and it's evident on the court. Hustle stats are often regarded as rebounds, steals, and blocks, and Semi's been bad at these numbers since college. Even though he played in a pretty weak conference.

As for the combine numbers. He's a finesse type player who's combine numbers, for one reason or another, don't translate on the court. So who really cares if a guy posts a 50 inch vert when he can't grab a rebound to save his life or block a shot (1 block in 546 minutes played)?

« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Got to be someone more useful than Semi to occupy that roster spot.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm going to change the name of the title for this thread, since it is really no longer about him starting to heat up, but about whether he's worthy of minutes/roster spot. - Redz
Yup

Re: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Semi, I think will improve over the next two years. He just hasn't had that much time on the floor.

Now for the essential problem with Semi:

As of now he offers little to no offense on a second unit that offers little offense. If the bench was loaded with scorers, Semi would be a great addition. A defensive weapon...turn him loose on Lebron or the freak....Celtics can't score much and Semi can't score at all....yet.

« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

Exactly. Rollie doesn't understand what's being criticized when his motor, or lack thereof, is brought up. Motor refers to hustle and multiple effort plays. Semi just doesn't play with any passion or energy at all and it's evident on the court. Hustle stats are often regarded as rebounds, steals, and blocks, and Semi's been bad at these numbers since college. Even though he played in a pretty weak conference.

As for the combine numbers. He's a finesse type player who's combine numbers, for one reason or another, don't translate on the court. So who really cares if a guy posts a 50 inch vert when he can't grab a rebound to save his life or block a shot (1 block in 546 minutes played)?

Semi's lack of motor on full display here. This is the stuff I'm talking about. All this talk about him being an athletic monster, well this the type of play where some hustle would've shown him pin that layup on the backboard. Instead, he actually slowed down while running back on defense! Inexcusable stuff from a rookie of all things.

5:48 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic8zOIE5QW0

If you notice Smart was on track and ahead and you know he loves to block those from behind-it looks like semi slowed enough to be in position for a miss-matter of fact Kyrie got knocked off with Marcus on line on track and with seniority-
'Semi is missing the NBA necessary length that effects steals ,blocks and closeouts-you missed his dive for loose ball and his hand down on sideline cross over that almost forced a turnover
-you can see the lack of length on closeout on Herngovez on a three

« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Semi's lack of motor on full display here. This is the stuff I'm talking about. All this talk about him being an athletic monster, well this the type of play where some hustle would've shown him pin that layup on the backboard. Instead, he actually slowed down while running back on defense! Inexcusable stuff from a rookie of all things.

5:48 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic8zOIE5QW0

If you notice Smart was on track and ahead and you know he loves to block those from behind-it looks like semi slowed enough to be in position for a miss-matter of fact Kyrie got knocked off with Marcus on line on track and with seniority-
'Semi is missing the NBA necessary length that effects steals ,blocks and closeouts-you missed his dive for loose ball and his hand down on sideline cross over that almost forced a turnover
-you can see the lack of length on closeout on Herngovez on a three

So 1 dive for loose ball and suddenly he has good motor? What did Semi feed you that has got you covering your eyes to the very glaring fault that he has?

« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2018, 12:20:40 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Semi, I think will improve over the next two years. He just hasn't had that much time on the floor.

His gifts are obvious (not to everyone, apparently - though to the coaching staff), and he's a worker. Given those things, and the fact that they have found developmental court time for him, that he'll improve over the next two years is a pretty conservative projection.

As of now he offers little to no offense on a second unit that offers little offense. If the bench was loaded with scorers, Semi would be a great addition.

We could quibble about just what the "second unit" is, or even if it has any meaning, but you've got a point.

A defensive weapon...turn him loose on Lebron or the freak....

Or Spencer Dinwiddie, or Zinger, or Devin Booker...

People are buying into a weird idea that Semi lacks a motor, or doesn't hustle. This is ludicrous. Are they actually watching him play?! I'm not calling anyone out in particular - but if you're saying that, you really ought to consider how you're coming to your opinions, and whether your experience is enough to even warrant having an opinion about stuff like that. 

I've been at this for a while, and I've found over some years now that the people with the most certainty are generally also the least knowledgable - perhaps you've heard of the Dunning-Krueger effect.

It's pretty normal to get attached to players irrationally, especially when you're a fan who's just starting out learning the game. I'm sympathetic to that. But I find it obnoxious, frankly, that people get attached to a player being bad.  I guess that goes double when it's for players like Ojeleye who are the hardest workers.

« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

It's pretty normal to get attached to players irrationally, especially when you're a fan who's just starting out learning the game.

I guess that's where you're at if you think Semi is any good.

I will add this, if you really think Semi is putting up these numbers and is playing hard, then that's even more of an indictment of his low skill level.

« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

It's pretty normal to get attached to players irrationally, especially when you're a fan who's just starting out learning the game.

I guess that's where you're at if you think Semi is any good.

I will add this, if you really think Semi is putting up these numbers and is playing hard, then that's even more of an indictment of his low skill level.

Well, you certainly sound sure of yourself.