Author Topic: The Best Offseason for the Celtics and the NBA  (Read 3480 times)

Re: The Best Offseason for the Celtics and the NBA
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 03:33:13 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
No way the Clips trade Kawhi. I guess there is a slight chance they trade George? Here's a trade idea from Hardwood Houdini. Not sure whether it's a realistic one.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2020/10/17/boston-celtics-2-trades-paul-george/amp/2/?fbclid=IwAR27anOgCZR3Qo8hOP4yZY4cAyT58dFSKYbDx2zOcapMeR-rV5brQaGVrhg

And here's the same concept without the picks + Shamet.

Celtics acquire Paul George and Terance Mann from Los Angeles

Clippers acquire Kemba Walker and Daniel Theis from Boston

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/01/this-celtics-clippers-trade-would-send-paul-george-to-boston/2/

Mind you, neither of these sites is a reliable source. They just post trade ideas, just like we the fans do.

---------------------------------------------

Sign Nerlens Noel with the bi-annual exception.

8-man rotation come playoff time

PG: Smart (36) - Wanamaker (12)
SG: Brown (36) - George (12)
SF: George (24) - Hayward (24)
PF: Tatum (36) - Hayward (12)
C: Noel (24) - Timelord (24)

Imo, this would be the best team in the NBA!

Worst case scenario, both George and Hayward walk in 2021 and we can go after a star free agent (Giannis, Kawhi, Jrue, Oladipo, Gobert).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:24:11 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 05:40:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Leonard is not going anywhere..he has it made in LA

He went to LA Clippers to return home and simultaneously dethrone King James. It did not work. He wants to have a bigger legacy than LeBron and rightfully so. How’s he going to do that now?

Well I can tell you that the answer is not leaving LA after only one year.

Kawhi is not going anywhere. They essentially traded 7 first round picks for PG. he’s not going anywhere either.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 06:46:21 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
No way the Clips trade Kawhi. I guess there is a slight chance they trade George? Here's a trade idea from Hardwood Houdini. Not sure whether it's a realistic one.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2020/10/17/boston-celtics-2-trades-paul-george/amp/2/?fbclid=IwAR27anOgCZR3Qo8hOP4yZY4cAyT58dFSKYbDx2zOcapMeR-rV5brQaGVrhg

And here's the same concept without the picks + Shamet.

Celtics acquire Paul George and Terance Mann from Los Angeles

Clippers acquire Kemba Walker and Daniel Theis from Boston

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/01/this-celtics-clippers-trade-would-send-paul-george-to-boston/2/

Mind you, neither of these sites is a reliable source. They just post trade ideas, just like we the fans do.

---------------------------------------------

Sign Nerlens Noel with the bi-annual exception.

8-man rotation come playoff time

PG: Smart (36) - Wanamaker (12)
SG: Brown (36) - George (12)
SF: George (24) - Hayward (24)
PF: Tatum (36) - Hayward (12)
C: Noel (24) - Timelord (24)

Imo, this would be the best team in the NBA!

Worst case scenario, both George and Hayward walk in 2021 and we can go after a star free agent (Giannis, Kawhi, Jrue, Oladipo, Gobert).

The only concerns are there is no playmaker and Noel starting yuck. Give me Zubac and tell Marcus to turn into a pass 1st player and I’m  in.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 07:29:10 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
why are people antsy to trade brown for leonard?  i've stated many times, i believe brown is the next leonard and i've kept any eye on their careers.

season 4:  ppg/rbg/apg/spg/bpg and fg/3p%

brown:  20.3/6.4/2.1/1.1/.4 with a 48.1/38.2%
leonard: 16.5/7.2/2.5/2.3/.8 with a 47.9/34.9%

they are almost the same size, jb is 6'6" and 223, kl is 6'7" and 225.

why not keep the young version of who you're trying to get?

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 08:16:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The Clippers blamed the coach for last season.  They likely are just going to run it back again and see what the new coach can do.  I see it very unlikely they blow it up or that Kawhi wants out.  He got his new coach, why would Kawhi force his way out now?

For the record, back when Kawhi was on the Spurs, I posted that I thought he was over-rated, something of a systems player.  I think Kawhi has largely proved me wrong on that, he is clearly an elite player, but I think he is still overrated.  I am not sure he is going to be able to carry another team to a championship (Toronto was pretty good team when he arrived).  A trade like this would be a huge risk, just ask Toronto.  They got their title which is great but there is no guarantee the Celtics would get one with him.  And if he leaves (and he would), then we have nothing and have to start over.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 09:33:03 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
The Paul George idea for Kemba is really interesting.

I would assume it would be some sort of three team deal though. Perhaps for Boston to move up in draft and get a center?

Maybe:
George and #26 to Washington
Kemba, Edwards, Poirier, #14 to Clippers
Bryant, Brown Jr, Ish Smith, #9(Haliburton or Hayes) to Boston?

Smart/Haliburton-#9/Smith
Brown/Romeo
Hayward/Brown Jr
Tatum/GrantW
Bryant/Theis/Timelord

Would have 20 million TPE (gallo?)
#30 and #47 to finish off roster

But even if keeping him
Smart
Brown
George
Tatum
Timelord
is an intriguing lineup.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I thought about writing a post to detail out why I disagreed with this but I figured I didn’t want to test if CS had a character count limit
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
why are people antsy to trade brown for leonard?  i've stated many times, i believe brown is the next leonard and i've kept any eye on their careers.

For the comparisons sale, they’re not really that similar besides being athletic wings. 

Brown is a much more polished three point shooter than Leonard was, and Leonard at that stage is a better defender than Brown could dream of being. Multiple DPOYs as a wing in the modern game is insane.

Different offensive arsenal, different defensive ability, and pretty different personalities
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 06:24:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

For the comparisons sale, they’re not really that similar besides being athletic wings. 

Brown is a much more polished three point shooter than Leonard was, and Leonard at that stage is a better defender than Brown could dream of being. Multiple DPOYs as a wing in the modern game is insane.

Different offensive arsenal, different defensive ability, and pretty different personalities

Not to mention different ages (24 vs 29).

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 01:07:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is a bad bad trade for Boston. Really bad actually.

Look at what guys like Kawhi and Paul George have been traded for recently. Giving up an All-Star talent, a near All-Star talent and 5 1st round picks is a huge overpay. Also, if Kawhi tries to force his way out of another team I've got no interest in him. 4th team in as many years? No thanks

We wont’t get the best basketball player in the world for anything less than a package like that. Perhaps keeping the 2024 pick or putting a protection on it...
1) He isn't the best basketball player in the world

2) Players of his calibre have been traded for less recently. Even Anthony Davis was. Kawhi himself was traded for much much less
Anthony Davis was not traded for less than that.  4, Ingram, Ball, Hart, 2 future 1sts, and swap rights.  That is a better package than Brown, Hayward, a mid 1st, 2 late 1st's, and 2 future 1st's as I just don't see Hayward or the 5 1st's having much value at all (nor do I think Hart, the 2 future 1st's or the swap rights did either) and to me 4, Ingram, and Ball are worth more than Brown from a collective standpoint (Brown had the highest individual value, I just think the 3 assets collectively are worth more).  And to be clear, I don't think Hayward has all that much value because of his huge expiring contract and his inability to stay healthy, especially when it matters.  Outside of Indiana and maybe 1 or 2 other teams, I don't think Hayward gets much more than some late 1st's and expiring contracts in return.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip