Poll

Smart or Hayward?

Keep Smart
Keep Hayward

Author Topic: Who are you keeping: Smart or Hayward  (Read 6283 times)

Re: Who are you keeping: Smart or Hayward
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Can we trade them both to get Jrue Holiday?

Trajan Langdon is that you???

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
BOTH

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 12:09:42 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Marcus Smart is a ballhog. Would much rather have Hayward injuries and all.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 12:33:29 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'm probably more down on Smart than most people on here, because his offensive tendencies drive me insane with the awful shot selection and dumb turnovers, even tho his defense is spectacular. I think Hayward is an overall better fit with Brown and Tatum because of his ability to accept a lesser role in the offense for the sake of the team. Now obviously this is heavily dependent on Hayward's health and what type of contract he's going to want too.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I'm probably more down on Smart than most people on here, because his offensive tendencies drive me insane with the awful shot selection and dumb turnovers, even tho his defense is spectacular. I think Hayward is an overall better fit with Brown and Tatum because of his ability to accept a lesser role in the offense for the sake of the team. Now obviously this is heavily dependent on Hayward's health and what type of contract he's going to want too.

This is my stance as well. 

Hayward is a better player than Smart, and offensively he's a better fit for the Celtics.  Only health or contract concerns would tip the scales the other way.

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 12:13:59 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If they’ll end up on similar contracts (or contracts big enough to keep us out of any relevant FA talks), I gotta go with keeping Hayward.

I mean, Smart deserves his 1st team all D but without reining him in, he could pretty much wreak havoc on your offense as well. If we can squeeze a friendlier team deal out of Hayward and then acquire a decent big for Marcus, I’d do it.

I’d be sad (because Smart is entertaining to watch), but I’d probably do it.
- LilRip

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 01:01:50 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
A lot of us seem to be in agreement that the team needs a big and a shooter. Let’s assume there’s a willing trade partner (take your pick among the many names thrown around on this board) and that the GMs will find a way to make salaries work, but they want one of Smart or Hayward in return.

Who would you be more inclined to ship out to provide decent shooting and frontcourt help, and who would you keep beside Kemba and the Jays?

If we keep Smart, then assume he stays on his team friendly deal. If we keep Hayward, then assume he opts to resign on an equally team friendly deal but with a NTC. I assume in either scenario, no cap relief will be coming

It depends on the player you are getting back in return. If Hayward leaves we need someone who can playmake, if smart leaves we need a perimeter defender. I for one am not opposed to trading Smart, Hayward, or Kemba depending on what the return is.

The “death lineup” isn’t all that spectacular to me, It honestly has glaring holes in it. The offense isn’t all that awesome and the defense lacks rim protection.  I truly believe the Celtics have to upgrade their top 5 players. I’d actually part with Smart and Kemba for a starting passing PG and a center, before I’d move Hayward.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
A lot of us seem to be in agreement that the team needs a big and a shooter. Let’s assume there’s a willing trade partner (take your pick among the many names thrown around on this board) and that the GMs will find a way to make salaries work, but they want one of Smart or Hayward in return.

Who would you be more inclined to ship out to provide decent shooting and frontcourt help, and who would you keep beside Kemba and the Jays?

If we keep Smart, then assume he stays on his team friendly deal. If we keep Hayward, then assume he opts to resign on an equally team friendly deal but with a NTC. I assume in either scenario, no cap relief will be coming

It depends on the player you are getting back in return. If Hayward leaves we need someone who can playmake, if smart leaves we need a perimeter defender. I for one am not opposed to trading Smart, Hayward, or Kemba depending on what the return is.

The “death lineup” isn’t all that spectacular to me, It honestly has glaring holes in it. The offense isn’t all that awesome and the defense lacks rim protection.  I truly believe the Celtics have to upgrade their top 5 players. I’d actually part with Smart and Kemba for a starting passing PG and a center, before I’d move Hayward.

Smart is a more than acceptable playmaker for the team.
Basing of per 100
Smart averages 7.5 assists to Gordons 6
Smart averages 2.6 turnovers to Gordons 2.7 turnovers

Smarts assist% is 21.1 to Gordons 18.7
Smarts Turnover% is 12.1 to Gordons 11.2

Smart is as adept at playmaking on the wing as Gordon is.

Also, Tatum took a really nice step forward with playmaking. Averaging 6 per game (100 possessions) 2/1 turnover ratio
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Without salary considerations the easy answer is Hayward, but when you factor in salary considerations it is a much harder question. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Who is the passing PG?

Pretty much all the top PGs in today's NBA are scoring PGs.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 02:35:47 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Who is the passing PG?

Pretty much all the top PGs in today's NBA are scoring PGs.

There are some in the draft.

Haliburton looks like he will be player.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 01:30:58 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Wish our coaching team would tell Smart to focus all his energies on the defensive side and always pass on offense unless he’s wide open. Smart is the glue guy, and he’d be everyone’s favorite if he did not try to do more on offense than he’s capable of doing.

Hayward has done a big, fat nothing for the Celtics. What a disappointment. Not his fault about the injury, but still disappointing. Obviously you don’t pick that, especially with those $$$’s, over our homegrown glue guy...

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2020, 11:30:21 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I’ve thought more and more on this. My final thought is I’d trade Kemba and Smart if it meant getting a superstar big like Embiid. 

I’d rather keep Hayward because replacing what he brings is sooo much harder than replacing anyone else. I honestly believe Smart and Kemba provide good trade value.

PG: Hayward
SG: Brown
SF: Tatum
PF: Theis
C: Embiid

I get the negatives you can call out in this lineup, but I honestly think this 5 would beat our current best 5.

Hayward’s playmaking is extremely important for the Celtics future. It’s far more valuable than Kemba’s scoring and with Embiid bringing rim protection I believe that makes Smarts defense a “little” more expendable.

I’ve seen us get touched off the perimeter MANY MANY times, so I’m safe in saying I can let Smart go for an upgrade at the rim.

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2020, 10:06:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Smart is my favorite player in the NBA. Hayward frustrates me as often as he impresses me. Definitely keep Smart.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Smart is my favorite player in the NBA. Hayward frustrates me as often as he impresses me. Definitely keep Smart.
It's the opposite for me. I think Smart can be incredibly frustrating to watch, far more than Hayward is. For every good defensive play he makes, he seems to follow it up with dumb shot selection and a stupid turnover from trying to be fancy.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum