Author Topic: Scary/Realistic Trade Idea  (Read 4580 times)

Scary/Realistic Trade Idea
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Very simple:

Charlotte Bobcats exchange Gerald Wallace for Lamar Odom.

Rumors are that Charlotte is looking to dump Wallace, and they could get a comparable player in Odom for a year and then at the end of the season free up about 11 million dollars a year.

In my opinion, if the Lakers are willing to take on that much more salary it's an absolute no brainer for them. They get another lock down defender, which can allow Kobe to "take off" a few plays on defense and he's not a guy who needs the ball at all times.

I know Wallace has a large contract, but I don't truly understand why the Bobcats seem so interested in trading him.

Re: Scary/Realistic Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »

Offline xChopsx

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Because Charolette is too confused. They have to many young players. Obviously they're a young team, expansion. Btw, whats the contract on Wallace?

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:02:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Not quite as high as I thought,

8.2 this year
9 next
player option for 11.4

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Definitely makes LA better, I love Gerald's game, for a while he was the most underrated player in the league, I just don't know if LA gets locked in for that long.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
charlotte laughs/  now way.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:28:16 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

I don't think they'll laugh.  Rumor has it they team might be up for sale, and they would do this to dump Wallace's salary.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I don't think they'll laugh.  Rumor has it they team might be up for sale, and they would do this to dump Wallace's salary.

except they could actually get value and cost efficiency out of it.  Odom offers nothing to them but salary relief.  they could get salary relief and young talent for wallace.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Very simple:

Charlotte Bobcats exchange Gerald Wallace for Lamar Odom.

Rumors are that Charlotte is looking to dump Wallace, and they could get a comparable player in Odom for a year and then at the end of the season free up about 11 million dollars a year.

11 million dollars for what? To sign someone for the veterans' minimum and pocket the difference? That team is a joke, starting with their GM.

If that trade happened, I would definitely be onboard with Popovich's idea of having a committee that oversees trades. The second huge gift given to the Lakers in less that a year.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This doesn't scare me that much.  I think Ariza is as good of an overall defender as Wallace (he may not put up the numbers, but he also doesn't have the lapses that Wallace has), and he is a better fit in general.

I really think Wallace is one of the most overrated players in the league right now, and he is not that much better than Tony Allen.

With that said, it is a realistic deal, and a great deal for Charlotte if they could pull it off.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:44:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Weigh the Lakers down with a high priced SF that doesn't shot well or play as well in the half court.  Should work real well in the triangle offense.  Makes it much easier to guard Kobe. 

Good move for the Bobcats.   They over payed Wallace.  He is only one hit to the head from being out of the league.  Frees up money.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 01:26:07 PM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think its a quite realistic trade idea.. Odom would perhaps not be very fond of going to Charlotte, but I'm sure it would wake up Gerald Wallace. At time's he has been a very good player for the Bobcats, but he will never be a premiere guy on any team, which I think the Bobcats hoped for.

In LA he would be a decent upgrade over Odom to cover Pierce and could indeed cause us problems come finals time.

The only problem is that he hasn't got any range as far as I know. Not that Odom repeatedly buries shots from deep, but he can shoot the ball if he gets a decent shot.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 06:17:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Great trade for Charlotte

Bad trade for LA

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 06:42:37 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Weigh the Lakers down with a high priced SF that doesn't shot well or play as well in the half court.  Should work real well in the triangle offense.  Makes it much easier to guard Kobe. 

Good move for the Bobcats.   They over payed Wallace.  He is only one hit to the head from being out of the league.  Frees up money.
Problem here is the Lakers are not featuring the "triangle" so far this season with Bynum back.