Poll

Is he

Yes
15 (93.8%)
No
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Jaylen Brown: All-Star ?? MIP??  (Read 9336 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown Most Improved Player?
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Hopefully Brown's improvement will shut down the idiotic Jeff Green 2.0 comparisons and comments.

Jaylen is more Andre Iguodala 2.0.
I don't get this at all. Iggy was a play-making guard who played nearly 40MPG, whose peak was what JB is currently averaging, and he also could not shoot a 3 to save himself in his prime. Brown is much more efficient than peak Iggy, and much more prolific than late-career Iggy, but will in all likelihood never be the passer Iggy was

That's why he's 2.0, a better version.

Remember, Iggy was an All-Star, an NBA Finals MVP, and All-NBA 1st team defense.

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Hopefully Brown's improvement will shut down the idiotic Jeff Green 2.0 comparisons and comments.

I don't get this at all. Iggy was a play-making guard who played nearly 40MPG, whose peak was what JB is currently averaging, and he also could not shoot a 3 to save himself in his prime. Brown is much more efficient than peak Iggy, and much more prolific than late-career Iggy, but will in all likelihood never be the passer Iggy was
Not seeing they Iggy comparison at all. Jimmy Butler? I could get behind that comp.

Look at the career FG% for both Iggy and JB right now.

The FT% also is similar as both are not really good FT shooters.

I can see the Jimmy Butler comparison on defense, but on offense, Jimmy is the go to guy.
Jimmy gets to the FT line a lot and he's above 80%.

Both Iggy and JB are players who are not the #1 or #2 option, but they end up scoring a lot and having a big impact on defense.

I'm also referring to the young Iggy, by the way.
The Iggy GSW got was already a 10-year vet.

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2019, 08:11:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Remember, Iggy was an All-Star, an NBA Finals MVP, and All-NBA 1st team defense.
What? I just said that they play completely differently on offence, and even on defence too.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

What? I just said that they play completely differently on offence, and even on defence too.

Yeah, different styles, but look at the career stats, the FG% and FT%.

Both players not the #1 or #2 option but still having an impact on offense and defense.

What I'm trying to point out is how they impact the game.

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2019, 08:21:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not seeing they Iggy comparison at all. Jimmy Butler? I could get behind that comp.

Look at the career FG% for both Iggy and JB right now.

The FT% also is similar as both are not really good FT shooters.

I can see the Jimmy Butler comparison on defense, but on offense, Jimmy is the go to guy.
Jimmy gets to the FT line a lot and he's above 80%.

Both Iggy and JB are players who are not the #1 or #2 option, but they end up scoring a lot and having a big impact on defense.

I'm also referring to the young Iggy, by the way.
The Iggy GSW got was already a 10-year vet.
Yeah, I am not going to argue with you on this. I don't agree on the Iggy comp, even a little bit and think if you compare Brown at a similar age to Butler the comparison is spot on. And that's all I am going to say about that. If you want to continue your Iggy comparison, have fun with that.

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Both players not the #1 or #2 option but still having an impact on offense and defense.

I guess you could compare JB to any wing who puts up 20PPG as someone who isn't the number 1 option then, lol. JB and Klay Thompson? JB and Dwyane Wade? These are all just as similar as JB and Iggy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I guess you could compare JB to any wing who puts up 20PPG as someone who isn't the number 1 option then, lol. JB and Klay Thompson? JB and Dwyane Wade? These are all just as similar as JB and Iggy

It's the FT% that makes JB closer to Iggy than all the other great wing players.

Guys like Paul George, Jimmy Butler, and Kawhi are all very good FT shooters.

Even Wade is above 75% for his career at the FT line.

JB is playing at an All-Star level right now, but the FT% needs to improve.
He's at 72%, but for him to be an elite player, he needs to raise it to 75%.
That's why he reminds me of Iggy.
Iggy could've been a 20-point scorer if he only did better at the FT line.

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

It's the FT% that makes JB closer to Iggy than all the other great wing players.

Thats kind of a silly thing to say. Even if he shot 10 fts a game raising his average from 72 to 75% would only add .3 points a game. The difference between a 72% shooter and a 75% is negligible.

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Thats kind of a silly thing to say. Even if he shot 10 fts a game raising his average from 72 to 75% would only add .3 points a game. The difference between a 72% shooter and a 75% is negligible.

Right now it's negligible because it's only 20 games into the season.

Remember, JB is a career 66.5% FT shooter.

In October, JB was only 66.7% from the FT line.

November, JB was 74.5%.

December, JB is back to 66.7%.

So if JB can end the season at 75%, that will change how he plays.
He will be more eager to get to the FT line.
Right now JB is not really trying to get fouls to get to the FT line.

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2019, 09:42:09 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

November, JB was 74.5%.

Again thats a silly thing to say given that he's taking a career high in FTA a game. I'm sorry man, but Jaylen shooting better from the line would be great, but its not as critical as you are making it seem.

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2019, 09:50:23 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

November, JB was 74.5%.

Again thats a silly thing to say given that he's taking a career high in FTA a game.

Yes, he's averaging a career high in FTAs, but it's too early in the season.
In the first 3 months of the season, JB has shot below 70% in October and so far in December.
So we'll know more as the season progresses.

I will move on from my Iggy comparison once JB becomes a decent FT shooter.
If JB hits 75% at the end of this season, I don't think the Iggy comparison would still be valid.

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2019, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
JB definitely doesn't play like Iggy lol. And I'm not sure about the Butler comparisons, Butler was a prolific distributor when he hit stardom, and he wasn't as good as an outside shooter. I think a good comparison for Jaylen would be somewhere between the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 iterations Kawhi Leonard with "just" good wing defence, but with a more portable offensive game (less isolationist tendencies, not as much ball pounding and tunnel vision). Obviously Jaylen uses quickness and athleticism to find easy looks while Kawhi uses his length and strength to get shots off, but I think Jaylen would have a similar offensive impact in a situation where he could handle the ball more (efficient scoring on moderate volume plus a bit of playmaking, although I think Jaylen can punish double teams better than Kawhi back then, who really wasn't much of a passer).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2019, 10:11:13 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
JB definitely doesn't play like Iggy lol. And I'm not sure about the Butler comparisons, Butler was a prolific distributor when he hit stardom, and he wasn't as good as an outside shooter. I think a good comparison for Jaylen would be somewhere between the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 iterations Kawhi Leonard with "just" good wing defence, but with a more portable offensive game (less isolationist tendencies, not as much ball pounding and tunnel vision). Obviously Jaylen uses quickness and athleticism to find easy looks while Kawhi uses his length and strength to get shots off, but I think Jaylen would have a similar offensive impact in a situation where he could handle the ball more (efficient scoring on moderate volume plus a bit of playmaking, although I think Jaylen can punish double teams better than Kawhi back then, who really wasn't much of a passer).

Yes, I agree he doesn't play like Iggy, but JB impacts the game like Iggy.
A 2-way wing player who's not very good at the FT line but still ends up scoring points.
That's the similarity I see.

I also agree that JB is not similar to Jimmy Butler because Butler's staple on offense is getting to the FT line a lot.
That's something JB doesn't do.

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

A 2-way wing player who's not very good at the FT line but still ends up scoring points.

I also agree that JB is not similar to Jimmy Butler because Butler's staple on offense is getting to the FT line a lot.
Not really, a chunk of Iguodala's offensive impact came from his playmaking. Brown's not on that level. Also Iguodala's scoring was worse than Brown's imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2019, 10:22:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Look at 23 year old Jimmy Butler's stats compared to 23 year old Jaylen Brown's stats.