Author Topic: Marcus Smart Deserves a Raise  (Read 7071 times)

Marcus Smart Deserves a Raise
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Strips the rebound and in same motion a no look to Robert Williams ,guarding both Porzingis and Donic , in control in paint for several layups and a kick out to Green for three ,a track down block  ,hitting dagger threes and taking a flagrant and a low blow.

And he is a stretch six defensive all star.
He wants to be in Boston his whole career  get an extra year team option and give him a raise.

Re: Marcus Smart Deserves a Raise
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:58:02 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Unfortunately the hard ball negotiating by Ainge may have done the damage on Smart and Brown relationships... pretty soon both will feel underpaid and that is not a good thing carrying forward

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 01:01:05 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Unfortunately the hard ball negotiating by Ainge may have done the damage on Smart and Brown relationships... pretty soon both will feel underpaid and that is not a good thing carrying forward

No one forced Smart or Brown to take that money - they actually looked like overpay at the time. I don't think either is taking that as a slight
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:22:45 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

No one forced Smart or Brown to take that money - they actually looked like overpay at the time. I don't think either is taking that as a slight
I think he was kidding.

Ainge does look like he made two exceptional bets here. A lot of people are noticing Jaylen deservedly, but Marcus has improved on offense considerably too. Neither guy is doing it while taking any defensive plays off.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Sometimes players lose their moxie after signing a big contract. Those two have been playing like they’re in the last year of their contracts.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Strips the rebound and in same motion a no look to Robert Williams ,guarding both Porzingis and Donic , in control in paint for several layups and a kick out to Green for three ,a track down block  ,hitting dagger threes and taking a flagrant and a low blow.

He wants to be in Boston his whole career  get an extra year team option and give him a raise.

As usual turnovers are overlooked by fans. Smart (along with  Brown, btw) are leading the way for Boston - the team is first in the league in turnovers.

Big breakthrough for Smart - he’s always been way too turnover-prone.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 02:09:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think he was kidding.

Ainge does look like he made two exceptional bets here. A lot of people are noticing Jaylen deservedly, but Marcus has improved on offense considerably too. Neither guy is doing it while taking any defensive plays off.

I don't think he was. In Smart's case, he was literally a FA (RFA) and he signed for what his market value was at the time. Brown chose to forego a chance to hit RFA next offseason and guarantee himself a boatload of money now. His new contract hasn't even begun.

There is such a thing as a contract extension, but it's not a perfect situation since you can't offer max years until the current contract is over. I would personally love to see that changed for the next CBA so that you can actually know whether or not your upcoming FA really wants to stay with you (see the Kyrie situation). Marcus will never be a max guy so he is likely to hit FA, but it may be possible to lock in Brown early. Either way, we just have to make sure they are happy as Cs if we plan to keep them. Their current contracts shouldn't really play a factor - it wasn't a matching situation like Hayward in Utah.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 02:12:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Love his energy. Love his leadership. Love his versatility. Love his fearlessness.

My favorite player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Smart is paid appropriately for what he brings.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

As usual turnovers are overlooked by fans. Smart (along with  Brown, btw) are leading the way for Boston - the team is first in the league in turnovers.

I thought we were last in turnovers?

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

Am I misunderstanding this post?  Smart is tied for best in the league for Ast / TO ratio right now at 6.0, and the Celtics as a team have the best Ast / TO ratio at 2.1.

Their TOV% is 11.3% which is the lowest in the league.  Next lowest are the Pacers are 13.3%

Really the only weakness this team has right now is their rebounding.  They're second to last in REB%.

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Smart is paid appropriately for what he brings.
Extreme centrist position

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 02:49:47 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Am I misunderstanding this post?  Smart is tied for best in the league for Ast / TO ratio right now at 6.0, and the Celtics as a team have the best Ast / TO ratio at 2.1.

Their TOV% is 11.3% which is the lowest in the league.  Next lowest are the Pacers are 13.3%

Really the only weakness this team has right now is their rebounding.  They're second to last in REB%.

TP for finding the stats!

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 03:03:10 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

I thought we were last in turnovers?

Obviously I didn’t say that very well. Maybe I should have said ‘best’.

Yes, you’re misunderstanding. My bad.

My point was that Marcus has had a huge breakthrough with turnovers. He’s always been turnover-prone - until this year (so far). He’s only a part of the team being better, though. Kemba has been better than Kyrie, for example... etc.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

TP for finding the stats!

Basketball Reference has an even better number, which is what I was looking at: 10.1%.