Author Topic: People need to cool the Kyrie hype  (Read 11633 times)

Re: People need to cool the Kyrie hype
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
He has become a more complete player and is a def MVP candidate.
not yet he isnt.

Needs to get that scoring way up and the offense needs to improve (Which would likely happen as a result of him making shots hes made the rest of his career) before we even start that conversation.

Actually he is in the early season talks already. A few of the talking heads have been bringing it up (right before he went out)  His Scoring does not have to go "way" up - he is at 20 now.. Steve Nash won it twice scoring under 20 - Magic won it twice at around 22.. IF this team keeps this winning pace and he stays at at least 20 he will win it easy.. But even if he doesnt - he will definitely be a candidate.. (he already is)

I love Kyrie, but I don't think he's in the running, yet. I think Horford's improvement also has contributed to our great start, which I don't plan on lasting.

Kyrie's statistics are not there, and make no bones about it- the MVP usually is a top 3 statistical player in the league. Kyrie's ppg, assists, fg%, rebounds, etc. are not the best in the league. He will need an uptick in many of the other categories besides scoring to be considered.

At 25 ppg, I think he'd need 10 assists, 6 rebounds, 40% from 3 to secure an MVP.

Greek Freak, Westbrook, Davis, Lebron, etc. will all likely have better stats than Kyrie.

For what it's worth (probably not much), NBA.com had Kyrie #2 on the Week 4 MVP Ladder (the latest edition) only 5 days ago. Being the leading scorer, perceived floor general, and go-to crunch-time guy for a team on a 12-game winning streak is a big deal, especially with a few of the highlights Kyrie has been sprinkling in.

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Nobody brings up pace of play in are supposed "worse offense with Kyrie" arguments? Just for info it's 24th and I'm pretty sure we were playing at a much faster pace last year.

The offense is worse on a per-possession basis.  We’re also 24th in both eFG% and TS%.

Our offense is ranked 19th, at 106.0 points per 100 possessions.

Last year it was 8th, at 111.2 points per 100 possessions.

Our pace is almost identical to last year, but the pace overall in the NBA is up this year, while we’ve slowed down a very small amount.

How do those numbers change with the games Irving and Horford missed?

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2017, 07:02:52 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Nobody brings up pace of play in are supposed "worse offense with Kyrie" arguments? Just for info it's 24th and I'm pretty sure we were playing at a much faster pace last year.

The offense is worse on a per-possession basis.  We’re also 24th in both eFG% and TS%.

Our pace is almost identical to last year, but the pace overall in the NBA is up this year, while we’ve slowed down a very small amount.

Have you looked, or are you genuinely asking?  I'm also not sure how relevant that is, given Kyrie left at halftime with what was likely minimal-to-no injury.  Isn't that the only game he missed? If so, aren't we then talking about Horford's influence on the team?

Regardless, I'm really impressed with the data and information Roy has provided to support his (objective) position on Kyrie thus far.  I should be striving to do the same. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Have you looked, or are you genuinely asking?  I'm also not sure how relevant that is, given Kyrie left at halftime with what was likely minimal-to-no injury.  Isn't that the only game he missed? If so, aren't we then talking about Horford's influence on the team?

Regardless, I'm really impressed with the data and information Roy has provided to support his (objective) position on Kyrie thus far.  I should be striving to do the same.

A broken face is a "minimal" injury?  :o Ouch, Charlie!

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

WRONG!  (In my best Donald Trump Voice)  JK   it's close but slightly worse.

Last year 2016   100.1 NBA Team Possessions per Game   PACE of 99.3    8th
This year 2017     99.4 NBA Team Possessions per Game   PACE of 98.6     19th

http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/year/2017

http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/year/2017

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/possessions-per-game
Celtics fast break points per game the last 3 years.  15-16 season 16.3 6th in the league, 16-17 12.4 17th in the league, this year 8.1 22nd in the league.  Celtics pace has gone from 15-16 101.15 3rd, to 16-17 99.32 12th, to this year 98.68 24th.

The C's are playing slower and slower as the league is playing faster and faster.  The fast break points that the C's are scoring have been cut in half.

In spite of all that, I don't miss the transition pull up 3 from Isaiah. Getting everyone involved and touching the ball, considering 10 new players, is more important at this point.

And pace be [dang]ed, the point is to win games, not ranking in pace. 12-2 is the stat that counts.

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2017, 07:11:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Genuinely asking. He didn't leave at halftime, fyi. He left about 2 minutes into the game and your "minimal-to-no-injury" remark is just looking for attention. He also missed the following game, so that's about 2 full games where data would not be accurate.

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Genuinely asking. He didn't leave at halftime, fyi. He left about 2 minutes into the game and your "minimal-to-no-injury" remark is just looking for attention. He also missed the following game, so that's about 2 full games where data would not be accurate.

I read halftime, but I guess it doesn't matter.  I don't want attention - people literally reply to my posts wishing me physical pain.  A "mild facial fracture" is not an injury I've ever heard of.  Sounds like he left prematurely because he a) doesn't play through injuries, b) didn't want to play without his 2 running mates, c) both. 

Regardless, I can't prove it was a legitimate injury in the same way you can't prove the opposite.  Hopefully he decides to play relatively soon.  But it honestly doesn't even seem like we're giving up much with our backup PG play.  And we're all aware that the regular season means very little come playoffs.  CLE is still the team to beat, unfortunately. 

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I read halftime, but I guess it doesn't matter.  I don't want attention - people literally reply to my posts wishing me physical pain.  A "mild facial fracture" is not an injury I've ever heard of.  Sounds like he left prematurely because he a) doesn't play through injuries, b) didn't want to play without his 2 running mates, c) both.  Regardless, I can't prove it was a legitimate injury in the same way you can't prove the opposite.  Hopefully he decides to play relatively soon.  But it honestly doesn't even seem like we're giving up much with our backup PG play.

That's just non-sense. Unless you're going to use that same flawed argument on Thomas because a) he didn't play through his injury during the playoffs b) didn't want to play because Kyrie and the Cavs were exposing him c) both. 

You should watch more games. Just pretend Irving is Isaiah and then you can enjoy the games and be in awe at how much "the little guy" has grown and improved.

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I read halftime, but I guess it doesn't matter.  I don't want attention - people literally reply to my posts wishing me physical pain.  A "mild facial fracture" is not an injury I've ever heard of.  Sounds like he left prematurely because he a) doesn't play through injuries, b) didn't want to play without his 2 running mates, c) both.  Regardless, I can't prove it was a legitimate injury in the same way you can't prove the opposite.  Hopefully he decides to play relatively soon.  But it honestly doesn't even seem like we're giving up much with our backup PG play.

That's just non-sense. Unless you're going to use that same flawed argument on Thomas because a) he didn't play through his injury during the playoffs b) didn't want to play because Kyrie and the Cavs were exposing him c) both. 

You should watch more games. Just pretend Irving is Isaiah and then you can enjoy the games and be in awe at how much "the little guy" has grown and improved.

I have argued repeatedly that we have no idea how serious IT's injury is.  Are you seriously questioning whether or not IT chose to play through pain in the playoffs?  That ends our conversation, unfortunatley. 

I watch a lot of games.  Kyrie is a cupcake.  Sorry you a) do not care about that nearly as much as I do, b) see that differently, perhaps because of how marketable he is, or c) both.  I'm totally cool with having a difference of opinion there.  We're not going to question IT's toughness though.

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I have argued repeatedly that we have no idea how serious IT's injury is.  Are you seriously questioning whether or not IT chose to play through pain in the playoffs?  That ends our conversation, unfortunatley. 

I watch a lot of games.  Kyrie is a cupcake.  Sorry you a) do not care about that nearly as much as I do, b) see that differently, perhaps because of how marketable he is, or c) both.

I'll take the "cupcake" over Isaiah any day and 99.9% of unbiased (key word) observers would too.

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2017, 07:35:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I watch a lot of games.  Kyrie is a cupcake.  Sorry you a) do not care about that nearly as much as I do, b) see that differently, perhaps because of how marketable he is, or c) both.

I'll take the "cupcake" over Isaiah any day and 99.9% of unbiased (key word) observers would too.

I've repeatedly said that the trade was an overpay that will be better for the franchise long-term. 

I've also clearly stated that:

-I am biased because I strongly dislike Kyrie.  There are few athletes on the planet I like less for a host of reasons.  Despite that, I've shared a lot of objective (and even favorable) impressions; and better posters than I, like Roy, have provided statistical evidence. 

-That doesn't change the fact that he hasn't been objectively better than IT yet.  I suspect he will be.

-I believe Horford looks better this year in part because of Kyrie.  Their PnR looks superior to last year's.

-Kyrie is showing better effort on defense.  He's a good ball-hawker, like a cornerback.  His lateral movement sucks, and he's easily bullied in the paint. 

-Kyrie is better than I thought he is at penetrating, using it to create for others, and finishing at the rim.  He's clearly elite at all three.

-He's a cupcake that I strongly dislike. 

Fair enough?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:40:56 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

-I am biased because I strongly dislike Kyrie.  There are few athletes on the planet I like less for a host of reasons. 

Why? What are some of the host of reasons you speak of?

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

-I am biased because I strongly dislike Kyrie.  There are few athletes on the planet I like less for a host of reasons. 

Why? What are some of the host of reasons you speak of?

Does it matter what I've speaketh of? I've sporadically complained, very few agree, and that's fine.  But I've watched, and have given him plenty of credit.

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Wrong thread

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Let me ask you guys a real question...

If you switch Isaiah Thomas with Kyrie Irving, in the same situation, who does better, and who do you think would lead to a (longer) if better winning streak, Uncle Drew or King of the 4th? You have to take into account the increased defensive potential the Celtics have mustered out there. We're infinitely an superior team. Does the few inches really mean that much of a difference, or is Kyrie benefiting more from Horford, than Isaiah did?

We'll see. The season is still young.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different