Author Topic: Brooklyn = FA hotspot?  (Read 6922 times)

Brooklyn = FA hotspot?
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »

Offline Royrebirth

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
After shipping Thad for a mere #20, the Nets have over $50M to spend in cap space now. While they definitely got worse in the short-run, that leaves the door open for them to throw money at free agents. While signing one or two decent players will not help the franchise much, it becomes a different story if the narrative changes to many different players joining forces to play in Brooklyn.

I understand this summer's FA class isn't overly strong, but the Nets do have Brook Lopez (20/10) and $50M to sign players like Derozan (reach), Conley (reach), Dwight (almost happened a few years ago, but redundant with Lopez), Whiteside (redudant also), Harrison Barnes (uncertain future with GSW pursuing Durant), Chandler Parsons, Rondo (good fit IMO), Deng, etc.

I am actually slightly worried thinking about it. What do you think?

Re: Brooklyn = FA hotspot?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
After shipping Thad for a mere #20, the Nets have over $50M to spend in cap space now. While they definitely got worse in the short-run, that leaves the door open for them to throw money at free agents. While signing one or two decent players will not help the franchise much, it becomes a different story if the narrative changes to many different players joining forces to play in Brooklyn.

I understand this summer's FA class isn't overly strong, but the Nets do have Brook Lopez (20/10) and $50M to sign players like Derozan (reach), Conley (reach), Dwight (almost happened a few years ago, but redundant with Lopez), Whiteside (redudant also), Harrison Barnes (uncertain future with GSW pursuing Durant), Chandler Parsons, Rondo (good fit IMO), Deng, etc.

It's possible, but I think Brooklyn would need that first domino to fall—the first big-name player to sign there. Once that player is there, I can see others possibly following ... but why would that first player want to go there and take a risk of being the only good player on a crappy team?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

It's possible, but I think Brooklyn would need that first domino to fall—the first big-name player to sign there. Once that player is there, I can see others possibly following ... but why would that first player want to go there and take a risk of being the only good player on a crappy team?
a FA who wants to sign an Amir Johnson type contract w/player option (1st yr guaranteed/2nd isn't) so that they can OPT out and sign a big contract in 2017.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:59:39 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
maybe they can build a team around Howard, Rondo, and Barnes..

oh how those 17' and 18' picks will look !!

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »

Offline Royrebirth

• Oshae Brissett

You can also argue that Brook Lopez is a first domino - he's a very good player, despite being on a bad team. Players can also talk about their plans with each other before they sign. Something like "hey how do you feel about coming to Brooklyn with me? I would love to play with you", maybe? Good point though!

maybe they can build a team around Howard, Rondo, and Barnes..

oh how those 17' and 18' picks will look !!

Barnes-Rondo-Howard-Lopez would be a playoff team.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
I would have to think Conley is a candidate.  Love him as a player, but max Conley seems like a stretch.  Someone gives him the money, maybe Brooklyn?

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 03:05:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
They can certainly throw some good money at mid-level players, and frankly I don't see why they wouldn't do that.  Sign guys like JR Smith to 2 year contracts (2nd year player option) at slightly more money they are probably worth.  Do that with 4 or 5 players and they can field a respectable team.  Rondo, Gordon, Smith, etc. along with Lopez, RHJ, Jack, McCullough, 20.  Not a contender but a team that would have a shot at the playoffs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 03:07:32 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
If they can piece together a winning team with Brooke Lopez, RHJ, and a bunch of FAs, it will be GM of the Year for (who is it now?)... Sean Marks?

Pulling out a viable team from a limited pool of moderately talented free agents, many of whom have been unpleasant teammates, would be remarkable.  It would be a historical achievement if a team assembled in this way, from this level talent pool, were to light it up.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Maybe if the Nets were the only team with double-max space, but why team up in Brooklyn when you could team up on a team that has talent?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Nope. They're lower on the totem poll due to their roster and the other teams that have equivalent cap space.

Bobby Marks: The Nets after this trade in July will likely have $50m in cap space. Brooklyn, Lakers and Philly all with over $50m in room. – via Twitter BobbyMarks42

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »

Offline Royrebirth

• Oshae Brissett
Nope. They're lower on the totem poll due to their roster and the other teams that have equivalent cap space.

Bobby Marks: The Nets after this trade in July will likely have $50m in cap space. Brooklyn, Lakers and Philly all with over $50m in room. – via Twitter BobbyMarks42

The difference is that LA and Philly want to develop their young players first with winning as a (close) second. Brooklyn has no incentive because they only have really a few young pieces to develop. There are no moral victories in losing.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 03:16:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's something to keep an eye on.  There was a time when Brooklyn was seen as a major free agent destination due to the potential marketability of that team.   

They really have no reason not to spend wildly.  They have no draft pick.  They can throw money at all sorts of role players this Summer. 

For more of my thoughts on the Brooklyn Nets, see Eddie20's signature.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I've already done the lengthy analysis on this quite a few times.

I'm not worried. Let's break your points down:

1. "The Nets have over $50M to spend in cap space now"
A. Many teams have obscene amounts of money to spend this offseason.

2. "That leaves the door open for them to throw money at free agents."
A. With so much money floating around, every FA is going to get overpaid. This is absolutely key. The NBA is not a tight-money market this year. It's not like the Nets are going to be able to outbid everyone. There's more money than players which makes this offseason unlike any other that's taken place in the NBA in the last 20-odd years. They can't buy people. EVERYONE is going to get overpaid this offseason.

What does this mean?

The Nets are going to have to convince players to come to Brooklyn. There's 30 teams in the NBA and the Nets probably have the worst story to tell prospective FAs. With money not a differentiating factor the Nets can offer only two things - playing in NY and offering ample playing time. What they can't offer is any kind of foreseeable future where the team is actually a winning squad. That tends to attract stat-driven, me-first players.

That doesn't mean they won't get lucky or somehow tell their story so well that they end up attracting FAs. But it's going to be an uphill climb and I would not be surprised to see them strike out except for some tier-3 FAs who simply want a chance to play.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It's something to keep an eye on.  There was a time when Brooklyn was seen as a major free agent destination due to the potential marketability of that team.   

They really have no reason not to spend wildly.  They have no draft pick.  They can throw money at all sorts of role players this Summer. 

For more of my thoughts on the Brooklyn Nets, see Eddie20's signature.
Luckily, LA and New York also have cap and have (slightly) better basketball situations.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I see Thad Young leaving as great for the C's. He was the only other serious NBA player on their roster besides Lopez.  They are an even bigger train wreck than last year now.

I don't see them signing any first or second tier players. The only reason to go there is if no one else is making an offer. Lopez has never strung together two injury free seasons in a row in his career.

I would say they are the odds-on favorite for the bottom spot in the NBA next year.