Author Topic: What's a Knicks trade offer for Davis that beats ours?  (Read 3740 times)

Re: What's a Knicks trade offer for Davis that beats ours?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 03:29:56 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I keep thinking, "14%, 14%..."

Mike

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 05:13:52 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Looks like the Knicks are out of the AD sweepstakes with their trade to Dallas of KP.  :)

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 05:16:14 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Looks like the Knicks are out of the AD sweepstakes with their trade to Dallas of KP.  :)

How so? If anything, they get another young piece to put into the mix of the trade with Dennis Smith Jr.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

How so? If anything, they get another young piece to put into the mix of the trade with Dennis Smith Jr.

KP would be enticing along with the pick for AD. Do you think New Orleans wants DSJ? I don't see any young guys worth NO to trade Davis for outside of the pick if it's #1.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I don’t think so. I think they are planning to play in the free agency sweepstakes.  They will have two max slots. Picture this. Kevin Durant, Dennis Smith Jr., Zion Williamson, Klay Thompson.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 05:19:53 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

KP would be enticing along with the pick for AD. Do you think New Orleans wants DSJ? I don't see any young guys worth NO to trade Davis for outside of the pick if it's #1.

You realize KP was going to be either an RFA this offseason or sign a QO which would give him veto power in a trade? He was never going to be a major factor in a trade for AD.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
KP and the #1 would have beaten our offer - those are two prime assets while we are only offering one plus several decent pieces.

Now that KP has been traded, I find it incredibly difficult to find a package that could beat ours. Heck, it is more difficult for the worst team to get the #1 pick now and their pick might fall to #5 (that's right, isn't it?). Assuming they will have the top pick is a reach and assuming Knox or DSJ are enticing enough to land AD is even more of a reach.

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 05:39:21 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
KP and the #1 would have beaten our offer - those are two prime assets while we are only offering one plus several decent pieces.

Now that KP has been traded, I find it incredibly difficult to find a package that could beat ours. Heck, it is more difficult for the worst team to get the #1 pick now and their pick might fall to #5 (that's right, isn't it?). Assuming they will have the top pick is a reach and assuming Knox or DSJ are enticing enough to land AD is even more of a reach.

I just wrote this in another thread, but KP would've been difficult to include in a trade package for AD. Given the timing that would be required to make the deal (in May - after the trade deadline - when NYK knows their draft position), you can't trade him as an RFA until he signs either a new deal (which would require a 3 month wait) or the qualifying offer (which would give him veto power).

NYK is getting 2 1st rounders from Dallas in this deal. They can theoretically send New Orleans a top 2 pick (Zion or Barrett) + the 2 1sts from Dallas + Knox + DSJ and take back some bad salary from NOLA.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 05:42:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Porzingis is a good player, but we shouldn't get carried away.

On a lottery team, he put up 23 points and 7 rebounds on 44/44/79 shooting with 2 TOs and only 1 assist per game.

His efficiency is a big concern moving forward. For a 7'3'' guy only 33% of his shots come within 10 feet of the rim, and only half of those are at the rim. 43% of his shots are mid-range. He shoots alright mid-range, but that is not a reliable scoring distribution.

On top of that, he is a pretty bad rebounder. Al Horford has never had as bad of a season per36 as Porzingis had last year, and he's considered an average rebounder for his position.

He's not agile enough to guard guards on the perimeter. He's a bit of a ball-hog with a pretty poor courtview for passing.

He had a 31% usage on a 29 win team. This is typical good-player-inflated-stats-bad-team stuff.

I'm not even sure he is as good as Chris Bosh was at the height of his career, or Lemarcus Aldridge. He is more like a Bargnani-strong type player.

On top of all that, there are real concerns about his long-term health. He hopefully will come back fully healthy from this ACL tear, but 7'3'' guys don't last in the league.

If the Pelicans are looking to build a real team, I think they'd much rather have either Lakers, or the Celtics, or even another team's trade package.

Obviously the potential 1st overall pick is a big part of the Knicks' package, but even if they finish with the worst record, there is still only a 1 in 6 chance they get the first pick.

TP. Great points.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 05:50:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Porzingis is a good player, but we shouldn't get carried away.

On a lottery team, he put up 23 points and 7 rebounds on 44/44/79 shooting with 2 TOs and only 1 assist per game.

His efficiency is a big concern moving forward. For a 7'3'' guy only 33% of his shots come within 10 feet of the rim, and only half of those are at the rim. 43% of his shots are mid-range. He shoots alright mid-range, but that is not a reliable scoring distribution.

On top of that, he is a pretty bad rebounder. Al Horford has never had as bad of a season per36 as Porzingis had last year, and he's considered an average rebounder for his position.

He's not agile enough to guard guards on the perimeter. He's a bit of a ball-hog with a pretty poor courtview for passing.

He had a 31% usage on a 29 win team. This is typical good-player-inflated-stats-bad-team stuff.

I'm not even sure he is as good as Chris Bosh was at the height of his career, or Lemarcus Aldridge. He is more like a Bargnani-strong type player.

On top of all that, there are real concerns about his long-term health. He hopefully will come back fully healthy from this ACL tear, but 7'3'' guys don't last in the league.

If the Pelicans are looking to build a real team, I think they'd much rather have either Lakers, or the Celtics, or even another team's trade package.

Obviously the potential 1st overall pick is a big part of the Knicks' package, but even if they finish with the worst record, there is still only a 1 in 6 chance they get the first pick.

TP. Great points.

That said, I love the deal for the Mavs. Two old role players and prospect whose stock is plummeting for Zinger is a good price.

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 05:55:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I still don't think this trade does anything for the Knicks.

The traded their franchise player, freed up cap space on players they might not even sign and the 3 guys they acquired might actually prevent them from having the worse record in the league.

I like it for Dallas. If Porzingis comes back healthy then him and Doncic could be a scary duo for years to come.

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Don't think it will beat ours, but if they involve DSJ, Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, the two first rounders they got from Dallas, and Zion Williamson (assuming they get him), that's a pretty intriguing offer.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I just wrote this in another thread, but KP would've been difficult to include in a trade package for AD. Given the timing that would be required to make the deal (in May - after the trade deadline - when NYK knows their draft position), you can't trade him as an RFA until he signs either a new deal (which would require a 3 month wait) or the qualifying offer (which would give him veto power).

NYK is getting 2 1st rounders from Dallas in this deal. They can theoretically send New Orleans a top 2 pick (Zion or Barrett) + the 2 1sts from Dallas + Knox + DSJ and take back some bad salary from NOLA.

Let’s hope the Knicks don’t land a top 2 pick.  That would be a really good trade package. 

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Don't think it will beat ours, but if they involve DSJ, Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, the two first rounders they got from Dallas, and Zion Williamson (assuming they get him), that's a pretty intriguing offer.

Who's DSJ?

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Not sure who DSJ is, but if they end up with #1, possibly even #2, add that to Knox, Nitilinka and the two picks from Dallas and they're essentially forcing us to include Tatum in the offer. This could get expensive.

Mike