Author Topic: Is There Actually a Way to Trade for Davis Now without Losing Kyrie?  (Read 5331 times)

Re: Is There Actually a Way to Trade for Davis Now without Losing Kyrie?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Again Kyrie isn't going to okay shipping out a talented he respects just so he can take a pay cut compared to just signing a new deal this offseason.

I've made the point several times now. He is getting a pay raise, not a pay cut. About 10 million between this season and next increase if he renegotiated now.

Shipping out Hayward isn't his decision, but I definitely agree that the human element of this trade seems heartless.

I'm just trying to point out that it is possible.

Even with a restructure, he wouldn't earn as much as he could by just signing a new deal this offseason. So technically, it would be a paycut.

So he is making 20.1 million right now. Next year, he could begin with a new contract at 32.4 million.

If he renegotiated now, he could upgrade this year to roughly 30 million (because of our newfound cap space). With an 8% raise in 2019-2020, his salary would be 32.4 million.

Moving forward, he could get the same 8% raise on either contract.

That's a 10 million dollar raise if he renegotiated now. Honestly, I don't know everything about the CBA. So I could be wrong. But show me how so I can understand it better.

The 8% raises would be different, since they are always based on the first year of the contract (not the previous year). I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make l, but it's something to keep in mind

Good point. You could extend him two years after this one, which would then allow him to resign as a 10 year veteran, giving him the ability to make up the money in the next contract.

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Again Kyrie isn't going to okay shipping out a talented he respects just so he can take a pay cut compared to just signing a new deal this offseason.

I've made the point several times now. He is getting a pay raise, not a pay cut. About 10 million between this season and next increase if he renegotiated now.

Shipping out Hayward isn't his decision, but I definitely agree that the human element of this trade seems heartless.

I'm just trying to point out that it is possible.

Even with a restructure, he wouldn't earn as much as he could by just signing a new deal this offseason. So technically, it would be a paycut.

So he is making 20.1 million right now. Next year, he could begin with a new contract at 32.4 million.

If he renegotiated now, he could upgrade this year to roughly 30 million (because of our newfound cap space). With an 8% raise in 2019-2020, his salary would be 32.4 million.

Moving forward, he could get the same 8% raise on either contract.

That's a 10 million dollar raise if he renegotiated now. Honestly, I don't know everything about the CBA. So I could be wrong. But show me how so I can understand it better.
Raises are determined by the first year of the contract.

So his raises would be smaller and he could only receive 5 total years counting this year, so one less year on the deal. He also could not get an ETO which is less advantageous to Kyrie.

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The 8% raises would be different, since they are always based on the first year of the contract (not the previous year). I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make l, but it's something to keep in mind
About 200k.

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »

• Paul Silas
Again, make up for it by shortening the deal so it expires in year 10 (or giving him an option that year that he can decline), which allows him to resign as a 10 year vet. That more than makes up for the difference.

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Again, make up for it by shortening the deal so it expires in year 10 (or giving him an option that year that he can decline), which allows him to resign as a 10 year vet. That more than makes up for the difference.

It can be done, and I hope it is being worked upon.

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

It is not.

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
So you're saying instead of signing a 5 year $188 million dollar deal he wants to opt in and then sign a 1 year extension with a player option for a second year? So be on a 2 + 1 after this year.

The parameters of this thread keep changing wildly.

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If you're just straight up maximizing his theoretical earnings he would just get the extra 10 million dollars for this year and still exercise his ETO and sign a 1 + 1 each year like LBJ.

I don't think Kyrie is comfortable with that level of risk, I know the Celtics wouldn't be!

Also fwiw you still have no way of knowing how the NBA would rule him forgoing his ETO and getting a pay increase. Would that free the C's from the Rose rule limitation, my read is still no. Not until the new years kicked in.

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »

• Paul Silas
Renegotiation, opt out at year 10 and resign
18-19 30
19-20 32.4
20-21 34.8
21-22 41.6 (new contract as 10 year vet)
22-23 44.9
23-24 48.2

Total 231.9 million

No renogitation, opt out in summer of 19 and resign 5 year max
18-19 20.1
19-20 32.4
20-21 35
21-22 37.6
22-23 40.2
23-24 42.8

Total: 207.9 million.

Kyrie would make 24 million more if he opted out now.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 01:50:16 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

It is not.

Exactly.

This is less than a pipe dream.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
18-19 30
19-20 32.4
20-21 34.8
22-23 44.9
23-24 48.2

Total 231.9 million

No renogitation, opt out in summer of 19 and resign 4 year max
18-19 20.1
19-20 32.4
20-21 35
21-22 37.6
22-23 40.2
23-24 42.8

Players prefer to be locked in and so would Ainge. Because if he goes with number one, you know how many self loathing and self depreciating posts would come out of the wood works? Anyways, this is all moot.. renegotiating a contract does not remove Rose rule, which is the point of this thread, right?..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 01:53:01 PM »

• Paul Silas
Seriously, guys. I don't think some of you are understanding the purpose of the thread.

It's problem with rules and numbers that the Cs cannot trade for Davis now. I'm trying to figure out a way around the rules.

It would only be a "pipedream" if I actually dreamed about getting Davis. As I've stated multiple times, I'm not sure I even want him.

I'm just trying to show that there is a viable path, even if it is unlikely.

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
It's problem with rules and numbers that the Cs cannot trade for Davis now. I'm trying to figure out a way around the rules.
And we already told you we are skeptical a renegotiation of his current deal would circumvent the rule anyways. You have no way of knowing if your hypothetical would even be successful given Kyrie would technically still be on the same contract just restructured.

Anyways its not happening, so twas fun.

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »

• Paul Silas
18-19 30
19-20 32.4
20-21 34.8
22-23 44.9
23-24 48.2

Total 231.9 million

No renogitation, opt out in summer of 19 and resign 4 year max
18-19 20.1
19-20 32.4
20-21 35
21-22 37.6
22-23 40.2
23-24 42.8

Players prefer to be locked in and so would Ainge. Because if he goes with number one, you know how many self loathing and self depreciating posts would come out of the wood works? Anyways, this is all moot.. renegotiating a contract does not remove Rose rule, which is the point of this thread, right?..

Some players prefer being locked in. Kyrie would be given two more years, and then potentially more money after that in his age 30 season.

Your question about the rose rule is the question I struggle with. I can't find anything about whether a renegotiated contract is considered a new contract or not. I mean, it would include different dollar amounts, years, potential bonus/incentives, etc. Wouldn't that be considered a new contract?

I would think the NBA office would be able to arbitrate that rule before anything was done. But as of now, I can't find anywhere that says it is still the same contract, and it logically makes more sense that it is considered a new contract that supersedes the old.

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »

• Paul Silas
And we already told you we are skeptical a renegotiation of his current deal would circumvent the rule anyways. You have no way of knowing if your hypothetical would even be successful given Kyrie would technically still be on the same contract just restructured.

Anyways its not happening, so twas fun.

No, it's probably not happening, but I was never trying to make it happen.

And no, you haven't made it fun. You've been condescending and unhelpful.